1986 CJ7 Metal dash replacement level of difficulty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1986 CJ7 Metal dash replacement level of difficulty?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
KansasKate

1986 CJ7 Metal dash replacement level of difficulty?

I'm looking for an über-original 1986 CJ7. Most of the ones I've found have a butchered dashboard. In most cases, the 2-knob radios have been replaced with DIN mount stereos. I know this may sound silly to some (or everyone), but the painted metal dash is one of the main reasons I'm looking for a CJ. I'm not interested in anything to cover the holes; I don't want to turn the DIN mount area into a cubby hole. I just want it to look like it did when it was built in 1986.

So, my question is this: if I find an otherwise good '86 CJ7, how hard is it going to be to replace the metal dash? Is that something that bolts on or would it have to welded or what?

MTIA!

KansasKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Its bolted on and easy swap...if you dont freak out unplugging EVERYTHING electrical, lol. everything on the dash must be disconnected and then swapped into the new one...and then reconnected!
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

It's pretty easy. Much easier to unbolt the dash and slide it out some then disconnect all the wires one by one and labelling as you go from above. Otherwise you are contorted in s asmall cramped space doing it from below. I put a couple of long bolts in to rest the dash on as I slide it out. 1/4-20. Then pull the dash with all the gauges attached.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
1983 CJ7 

If the rest of the Jeep is in good shape, I would not let a butchered dash stop me from buying it. You can get original dashes off Ebay and Craiglist and a reproduction in stainless for less than 200.00. And, the stainless can be painted to match the Jeep.

Tags
cj7 , dash board problem , dashboard , interior paint , stereo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.