5Likes
  • 3 Post By TIPPEDITOVER
  • 1 Post By SAVRICH
  • 1 Post By Avalanche724

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-24-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Avalanche724

Unhappy 1986 cj7 help

so i just bought a 1986 jeep CJ7 just a couple of days ago guy i bought it off of let her sit for a couple of years and it definitely shows. so far i have done a compression test, changed the spark plugs, changed the spark plug wires, and changed the fuel filter. but to cut to the chase the engine will turn over but wont stay on and idle and i have to spray a little carburetor cleaner inside the carburetor to get her to start. I've gotten recomedations to drop the gas tank and clean the lines all the way up to the carb and change the fuel pump. trying to see if theres anyone thats had the same problem and know a good starting point to go at the problem remind you this is my first rebuild ever so im learning as i go. any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-24-2017, 03:21 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
In the Lab

1978 CJ5 

Been sitting a couple years? Today's gasoline doesn't like to sit untreated very long. So that's the first consideration. With the ethanol they like to put in the gasoline, you will find a light grey powder/sand inside the float bowl, blocking passageways inside the carburetor.

Ok so to diagnose,

Pull the fuel line off the carb, run a line into a clear container. Have someone crank the engine while you watch how much fuel comes out. Plenty? Then the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines is not the direction to look.

Then it's time to remove the carb and get inside. Soak it and clean it out very well. That's what I would do anyway.

Shaun

1978 CJ5 to CJ6 - Build in progress......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 PM
SAVRICH
1985 CJ7 

x2 ^

Clean & inspect carb, especially if its a Carter. Check the idle, tune it. All that good stuff
Avalanche724 likes this.

1985 Cj7

post #4 of 8 Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Avalanche724

thanks @TIPPEDITOVER and @SAVRICH i will rip out the carb first thing in the morning.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-25-2017, 02:45 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

As mentioned above, clean the carburetor and or rebuild it. 1986 model year will have the Carter BBD w/Stepper Motor. They are notorious for having clogged Idle Tubes over time that cause rough idle or the ability to not idle at all.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Avalanche724

one guy wants me to drop the tank and clean all the lines going to the carb first
post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 09:35 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
In the Lab

1978 CJ5 

He and you should realize how easy it is to disconnect the fuel line from the carb, run it into a container and crank the engine. If fuel comes out the line then you would be wasting your time dropping the tank and messing with the fuel lines.

Shaun

1978 CJ5 to CJ6 - Build in progress......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-27-2017, 08:19 AM
SAVRICH
1985 CJ7 

^x2 much easier. do it as you remove the carb

1985 Cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.