1986 CJ-7 Dana 44 Rear Drum Brake backing plate question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1986 CJ-7 Dana 44 Rear Drum Brake backing plate question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep seats at Jeephut.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

1986 CJ-7 Dana 44 Rear Drum Brake backing plate question.

I am replacing out the axle seals, rebuilding the wheel cylinders, and just trying to get all the gunk off of everything. Now, once I cleaned up the brake backing plates, I notice some heavy marring/gouging on the points that the brake shoes articulate with the backing plate.

Question 1: How does this happen?

I already have a low opinion of the PO's mechanic. So, wondering if there is a cause that a more seasoned mechanic knows about.

Question 2: Can I build these pads back up with my wire feed welder and then grind them flat and then sand smooth? Or should I just go to the junk yard and get another backing plate?

This is more than wear and tear, it is downright gouging and grooved.

CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I can only guess that the shoe holding pins broke OR small parts/springs wedged in there. Those areas are where the edge of the shoe rest and move in and out as pressed into the curved drum surface.
IF that was mine, I would just fill them with weld and grind smooth. Those late 86 backing plates are the same as the Model 20 plates EXCEPT with a larger center hole to clear the bearing and the 4 mounting holes are a little larger. The common older ones (like from a Scout II 44 ) are 11x2 I believe instead of the 1.75 X 10 that these are....I think

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I can only guess that the shoe holding pins broke OR small parts/springs wedged in there. Those areas are where the edge of the shoe rest and move in and out as pressed into the curved drum surface.
IF that was mine, I would just fill them with weld and grind smooth. Those late 86 backing plates are the same as the Model 20 plates EXCEPT with a larger center hole to clear the bearing and the 4 mounting holes are a little larger. The common older ones (like from a Scout II 44 ) are 11x2 I believe instead of the 1.75 X 10 that these are....I think
Thank you Ed, I think I will give it a go. I am not a great welder, but I can form a bead and make it stick. I am almost an ok welder, but I am a great grinder.
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

If that doesn't work out I have a few 20s laying out back that you could use to swap if the only thing would be enlarging those said holes.
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02 View Post
If that doesn't work out I have a few 20s laying out back that you could use to swap if the only thing would be enlarging those said holes.
That is quite neighborly of you JB! I think I can form a bead on this stamped dinner plate ok. If something goes awry, I will give you a jingle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.