1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt1981CJ7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
1986 CJ-7 Build Thread

Hi everyone! So I've decided to start a build thread for my 1986 CJ-7.

Here's some information about the Jeep:
4.2L In-Line 6-Cylinder 258
4 Speed Manual Transmission
Original Owner

The Jeep was purchased in 1987 as a CJ-7 Renegade by my mother but during the process of fixing various things on this Jeep and with running the VIN, we have discovered it is actually the base model. The Jeep came from the dealership with red paint with black striping and Black "Renegade" along the side of the hood.

The axles/transmission/engine are all for the most part stock.(I will go into detail down below about what has been changed)

I am currently battling the California Emissions requirements to get this thing registered and take it wheeling, I will be installing a Howell throttle body fuel-injection kit soon and this should allow me to pass smog and FINALLY register it.

Now for some pictures!

If you have an Instagram account do me a favor and go follow the Jeeps page! I post everything I'm doing to the Jeep on there!

The account is: MyNameIsJoop

Becuase her name is Joop of course(The story about that to come later)

So these first pictures are from when my friend(The guy standing in the Jeep) and I first started working on her!

This is the engine bay how we found it when we first opened the hood(minus the old nasty battery). There was literally crap all over inside the engine bay from rats and such

The very first thing we did was tear out all the nasty old rotted carpet from the floor(honestly why would you put carpet in a Jeep?) and pressure washed the floor for a good couple hours trying to remove all of the adhesive that we could.

Here is what the front grill looked like. I really like the headlight/running light guards my mom had on there. Sadly these were very rusted and couldn't be saved but I do plan on buying some new ones(I think Rugged Ridge makes them?)

Here is a picture of the Jeeps paint job before we sanded it all down. Several different people on here told me that this color scheme was not original and that even the "Renegade" lettering was wrong. If anyone knows where I can buy new decals like these it would be much appreciated!

So as many of you know the stock 86 CJ-7 came with a Carter BBD carburetor(which is pretty much crap). The first thing I did was replace all the old vacuum lines coming off of carb and throughout the engine bay. There are miles of them... I also rebuilt the carb with a rebuild kit from O'Rileys(I have gone into O'Rileys so much for parts for this Jeep they know me by name and ask my how the Jeep is coming along.....) I also dropped the gas tank and pumped out all the old gas that had been sitting inside of it for close to 14 years. If I knew then what I know now I also would have replaced the sending unit/gasket fuel filler/vent lines and the other lines coming off of it. It would have saved me tons of times and kept me from the headache of dropping the tank something close to probably 20 times over the course of a year and a half.

I eventually could not get the old carb that was on there to work properly, I was having a rough and unsteady idle which most of the time would just stall out and I couldn't get it to work properly. I eventually built a remanufactured carb from, you guessed it, O'Rileys and put that on there. Without any tuning or anything I bolted it on, hooked it up and it fired up and ran much much better than the previous one. I was still having problems with it not idling very well so I performed a Nutter Bypass on it(before I knew this was illegal to do to vehicles here in California) and it instantly fixed the idling problem. With the help of a friend of my fathers we tuned the new carb and set the timing properly. We eventually had to sand both the top of the intake manifold and the plastic spacer plate to help create a better seal because we were still having a vacuum leak coming from somewhere. We applied some high-temp liquid gasket to both sides of the plastic spacer plate and it finally all sealed up properly and we no longer had any vacuum leaks.

Here is the remanufactured carb that is currently on there:

Some other things I've done to this Jeep mechanically wise are:

New mechanical fuel pump:

New stock looking brake lights:

New battery(of course):

The old brake fluid reservoir and the new remanufactured brake fluid reservoir:

Awesome looking new valve cover(and gasket) to replace the cheap plastic one that comes stock:

New thermostat housing and thermostat(The original one was so corroded it literally fell apart in my hands while I was taking it off):

New shoes and parts for the rear drum brakes(I'll also include pictures of the old ones because of how bad they were):

Here are the new drums we installed(I couldn't find the pictures of the old ones):

I also replaced the old metal lines that went from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb with rubber fuel hose(and a new fuel filter of course):

And now for the upgrades!!!

So I installed new projector headlights with halos inside them:

Removed the old pull-style headlight switch with a three-way LED rocker switch -

Installed new wiring and relays for the headlights because as we all know the old wiring was pretty crappy and needed to be upgraded to thicker gauge wire with relays anyway -

(this picture was taken while laying out all the wiring, I promise it's much cleaner looking now LOL )

Here are the headlights with the winch and bumper/winch mount -

I also installed a 150db air horn for fun LOL -

I installed an "accessory" fuse panel that will hold all the fuses for all LEDs and such I plan to install in the future.

As I mentioned up above we sanded most of the jeep down because there were some surface rust spots. We put some black primer on it and just recently decided to do a trial run with rattle can paint and re-painted the hood solid red.

Now for the story about why we named her Joop!
So while my friend and I were sanding all the paint down we noticed that the "Jeep" in the quarter panels is actually stamped "Joop" and the "e" was simply painted on. I remember reading awhile back that they were all stamped "Joop" to save money on the stamping dyes but I honestly couldn't tell you where I saw that at.

So hence the name Joop!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 06:56 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nice work, so far.

FYI, I've read that the Jeep/Joop thing was a difference in stamping dies between 2 plants. IIRC, Toledo-made CJs had "Jeep", Bramford-made CJs had "Joop".

A couple of nit picks. IMO, you should have replaced the old metal fuel lines with new metal fuel lines. They were metal in those locations to protect them from heated engine parts. Also, I don't see a fuel return line, which serves to minimize vapor lock and regulate fuel pressure. Lastly, I hope you tied that new battery down. The hold down bracket is missing in your pic.

Keep up the good work!

Matt
STJP likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM
robblue6412
1980 CJ7 

You've done a lot of work so far on this! These old Jeeps can eat up a lot of time and money but they sure are fun. My kids have gotten involved with working on our 1980 CJ7 and they love trail riding in it. I've heard a lot of different explanations for Jeep vs. Joop and I really can't say which I believe. my CJ has Jeep on the driver side and Joop on the passenger side. It's never been cut and patched so it seems really odd to me.
I second some of the suggestions from Matt. You can't be too safe with fuel and brakes especially. I'll be watching the thread for more updates!

1980 CJ7 all original, 304, 4sp, ps, pb

post #4 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Nice work, so far.

FYI, I've read that the Jeep/Joop thing was a difference in stamping dies between 2 plants. IIRC, Toledo-made CJs had "Jeep", Bramford-made CJs had "Joop".

A couple of nit picks. IMO, you should have replaced the old metal fuel lines with new metal fuel lines. They were metal in those locations to protect them from heated engine parts. Also, I don't see a fuel return line, which serves to minimize vapor lock and regulate fuel pressure. Lastly, I hope you tied that new battery down. The hold down bracket is missing in your pic.

Keep up the good work!

Matt
I've had a couple people tell me that about the fuel lines, that have come over and helped me with various things on the Jeep. It was originally just a quick fix to get things running and I just haven't gotten around to installing the proper ones yet. I'll be installing the Howell California SMOG legal TBI Kit over the upcoming weekend and the instructions for that say to use a rubber FI line in place of the metal one as well, any thoughts on this? There is a fuel return line, it comes off the other side of the fuel filter and down the to the return line on the driver side next to the EVAP canister. About the battery, it still isn't tied down LOL. I really have been meaning to make/buy a tie down since when I originally started working on this Jeep there wasn't one there but I'm currently in the works of installing a dual battery setup so I'm just waiting till I have all the parts gathered up for the second battery and then I will lock them both down.

Thanks for your comments! Greatly appreciated!
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robblue6412 View Post
You've done a lot of work so far on this! These old Jeeps can eat up a lot of time and money but they sure are fun. My kids have gotten involved with working on our 1980 CJ7 and they love trail riding in it. I've heard a lot of different explanations for Jeep vs. Joop and I really can't say which I believe. my CJ has Jeep on the driver side and Joop on the passenger side. It's never been cut and patched so it seems really odd to me.
I second some of the suggestions from Matt. You can't be too safe with fuel and brakes especially. I'll be watching the thread for more updates!
I've been working on this thing for about a year and a half fixing all the problems as they come up, but I still have a bunch of regular maintenance type stuff that still has to be done. I'll be posting updates on this thread as well as on the Jeeps Instagram page(@MyNameIsJoop) as they happen! I will probably go more into depth about what was done on here then I will on the Instagram posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Various Pictures of Joop

Heres a bunch of random pictures of Joop that I have!

Other than the headlight switch the rest of the dash is completely stock! Most of the pull switches don't work so they will all need to be replaced but I haven't decided if I want to keep the stock look and buy new pull switches or move everything over to rocker switches, I'm leaning more towards the stock look but I will post on here what I decide!

The gauges for the most part work but I do have plans to replace them all with stock-looking new gauges.

On the driver side, you can still see some of the old black and white side stripings.

These next pictures are from when I first got a temporary operating permit because it failed the first smog test. We went wheeling for a couple hours in a local spot.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86renegade View Post
I've had a couple people tell me that about the fuel lines, that have come over and helped me with various things on the Jeep. It was originally just a quick fix to get things running and I just haven't gotten around to installing the proper ones yet. I'll be installing the Howell California SMOG legal TBI Kit over the upcoming weekend and the instructions for that say to use a rubber FI line in place of the metal one as well, any thoughts on this?
The Howell instructions indicate you can fabricate a 5/16" metal fuel line from the pump to the throttle body, using a short section of rubber line to connect it to the pump for noise purposes. I would strongly consider that option.

Matt

post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The Howell instructions indicate you can fabricate a 5/16" metal fuel line from the pump to the throttle body, using a short section of rubber line to connect it to the pump for noise purposes. I would strongly consider that option.

Matt
After reading through it again I see what you mentioned, thanks for the heads up, I must have missed this when I read through them the first time.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-20-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Update!

Hey everyone, so the TBI kit came in on Friday as expected and I've been working on installing it over the past two days. I am currently about to start installing the wiring harness and removing all the old wiring that's not going to be used.

It hasn't been too difficult so far, the instructions they give you make it pretty easy to do all the re-routing of vacuum lines. The number of vacuum lines that have been removed is ridiculous. The hardest part thus far has been figuring out where I wanted to mount the new inline high-pressure fuel pump and filter(more to come on that topic when I do the write up). I'm expecting that removing the old computer and installing the new one is going to be the hardest part but I'll let y'all know how that goes!

Back to installing!
post #10 of 12 Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
86renegade
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Install Complete

The TBI is completely installed and runs great! I just have some final adjustments to do with timing and RPMs and then I'm all set. I've already scheduled an appointment with the referee station for tomorrow morning and I should have the write-up on the TBI install completed in the next couple days
post #11 of 12 Old 08-22-2017, 02:31 AM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

great stuff, always nice to see a CJ rescued!!

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #12 of 12 Old 09-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Unclemoak
1981 CJ7 

Looks good. Kind of nice to keep it in the family.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.