1985 "Special Edition" CJ7 Restoration Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1985 "Special Edition" CJ7 Restoration Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #31
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Location: Santa Rosa, CA 1 hour north of San Francisco in wine country.
I just found out that I have this Edition too! I'm glad I found this thread. I love that Garnet Red. I suppose that's what my Spring Special was too back in the day. Here's what it looks like right now, but I'm thinking of cleaning her up some. I'll start a thread soon too.

Unread 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #32
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Please tell me more about the special edition. Mine looks a lot like yours.

You can find my restoration thread here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/
dsc_0008.jpg   dsc_0218.jpg  

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #33
Astrodokk
2000 WJ 

Location: Santa Rosa, CA 1 hour north of San Francisco in wine country.
I believe the Spring Special Edition was only early 1985.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #34
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk View Post
I believe the Spring Special Edition was only early 1985.
Ok I was just looking at the color, carpet, seats, stripping and I have the same drive train with the T176 transmission

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #35
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Any updates on this project?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
elliottferrell
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to admit that although I still have most of the parts. The jeep most likely won't ever see the road again. I am still searching for a tub along with a few other parts.... I bought a 98 tj and have been messing with that the better part of the spring.

97 TJ Sport - header, mpbr exhaust, throttle body, arb snorkel, 4 inch rouch country lift, 35 x 12.5 AT's, sye, tom woods, hand throttle, warn xd9000i, front and rear bumpers with air, 12v cooler + beer

85 cj7 special edition - 4.2, t-176, dana 300, the rest is in boxes.
elliottferrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #37
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

I just read your story and I have a similar one myself. My ex-wife bought a renegade brand new back in 85. We were dating at the time and I always took good care of the cj. Back around 94 she had just come home from the grocery store and parked it in the driveway. She went inside and the next thing she saw was flames out of the kitchen window. the fire dept had to come and put it out. I was at work when it happened. When I got home it was very sad to see the charred remains of the CJ.

The fire dept got there pretty quickly so most of the damage was contained to the front of the firewall but just like yours my valve cover and carb and harness were one big molded mess. I never saw a melted carb before. The jeep then sat for the about the next 10 years before I got a chance to start the restoration. I cleaned it up and dumped most of the charred parts and it sat in the garage.

When I got divorced I asked her if I could keep the jeep. I new there was no way that she would ever restore it and it meant a lot to me. over the last 10 years I have slowly put it back together to its original condition. Most of it still has the original paint on it. The hood cowl and fenders and grill were what needed to be repainted. The motor was toast so I had to replace that too. Here is how it now sits today. So I wouldn't worry about how much time it may take its a hobby and if its truly something you want it will happen...
img_08981.jpg  
Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Here's another vote to not give up. You can virtually build an entire new Jeep with the parts you have. YJ tub may be easy to find (I think I need one too) and a frame with a lot less rust would probably be a good idea too.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
elliottferrell
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Although this is not my main project right now. I thought I'd let everybody out there following along that over the weekend I found a nice set of 44's. Add them to the pile. Maybe someday I'll get something finished and have cj again

97 TJ Sport - header, mpbr exhaust, throttle body, arb snorkel, 4 inch rouch country lift, 35 x 12.5 AT's, sye, tom woods, hand throttle, warn xd9000i, front and rear bumpers with air, 12v cooler + beer

85 cj7 special edition - 4.2, t-176, dana 300, the rest is in boxes.
elliottferrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.