1985 CJ7: Technical Specs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1985 CJ7: Technical Specs?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
t2oo9

My *new*85 CJ7 Project... Pics included..

Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could give me some OEM specifications on my 1985 Jeep CJ7. Like, what kind of rear is in it, etc.

Heres a link to some pics: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2959312/1

Heres what I know:
1985 CJ7
~139K Miles
AMC 258, new carb, distributor, plugs/wires, alternator,radiator,distributor,master cylinder. Smokes a little. Runs smoothly though.
4 Speed, 4wd
Power steering/power brakes
Fiberglass body

It needs a serious cleaning: the seats will (believe it or not) actually clean nicely. It needs a windshield frame, (a new one was included with the sale). The top is in average condition, no rips or anything.
Do you guys have any ideas for cheap upgrades that I can buy? Or, any stock specifications? Any input is appreciated.
Tom

Last edited by t2oo9; 12-05-2007 at 10:01 PM..
t2oo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

http://www.jeeptech.com/
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Lupo10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Tom. Congrats and welcome to the forum. I bought my 1985 CJ in October so I'm new here as well. The first question to ask yourself is what you'll be using it for. Mine was purcahsed for daily driver first and off road second so I've been doing things to improve the heater, drafts, etc. Getting up to speed for a 48 mile round trip each weekday. Some guys just use them for off road and couldn't give a hoot about heat etc. In any case I'm new so the other guys here will tell you alot more but what I can tell you is that the specs for all year CJ's are in the Chilton's book at your local auto parts store. My 1985 has an AMC 20 rear and Dana 30 front with a Dana 300 T case and T5 manual trans. I have issues with some grounds (wiper motor) and did little things that made a big difference like replaced every blade fuse. So cheap things to work on first would be that sort of thing. Besides a new heater core my biggest upgrade to date was a new cup holder. Enjoy!
Unread 12-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
t2oo9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
Perfect website! Thanks a bunch!
t2oo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to JF...Looks good
Assuming the drivetrain is stock....it should have

AMC 20 Rear
Dana 30 Front
Either T4 or T176 tranny
Dana 300 Transfercase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.