1985 CJ7 starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1985 CJ7 starting issue

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

1985 CJ7 starting issue

Hey guys I have owned 4 TJ's, one YJ, and now a CJ7. I got this as a project. Wiring harness laying on the engine and dash half undid. I got it all back together the best I can from what I seen. There are a few wires under the dash not pluged in and also in the engine bay. Kinda sucks not being the one that pulled it apart. Anyways iI can get it to pop off for a second and it dies, no difference using starting fluid or not it will only run for a second and die. Restarting it right after it dies and will do the same thing. Giving it gas ddoesn't change anything. I'm thinking something electrical.
Any input would be great. I am at a loss.
thanks

Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

well i ran a jumper from the battery to the coil and she runs great. So what does that mean?
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Time to break out some test gear.

The best tool in my box is a 12V test lamp. It was an inspection lamp for the cigar lighter but I cut off the plug and bared the wires and pulled them apart. I now have about 5m of wire on each side of the 12V lamp (not LED, a real 12V bulb).

If you hook one end to the battery negative you can go hunting for voltage with the other end.

Start with the coil positive. It is fed with a red with tracer wire. Take it off and see if you have a Dim bulb in Run and a bright one in Start. I suspect you will have nothing in Run and it is because the red with tracer wire has a break somewhere between the coil and the ignition switch, possibly at the resistor wire. This is why when you jump from the battery to the coil you are bypassing that break and it runs great.

Now look at the light blue wire on the S tab on the solenoid. It will be live in Start only. Look at the red with tracer wire on the I tab. It is being energised in Start and that is then being carried up to the coil. As soon as you let go of the key that voltage is not being fed to the I tab and the engine dies.

Now using that tool you can look for voltage all the way back to the switch which you can assess at the column connector. The fuse box / ignition switch diagram has it on the extreme left, the red with tracer wire to "Ignition and Alternator".
84-86fuseboxsch-copy-2-.jpg

schematic-ignition-layout.png

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
notlost
1982 CJ5 

I had this problem. Is the coil wire (+) the only wire on the (I) post on the solenoid? Some solenoids are only hot at the (I) post when the key is at the start position and not hot in the run position. Find the hot wire from the ignition switch and attach it to the (I) terminal also. This way it will get current directly off the battery for engine start AND a hot wire to run.
notlost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.