JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   1985 CJ7 Laredo (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1985-cj7-laredo-1537905/)

burke1973 06-17-2013 08:37 PM

1985 CJ7 Laredo

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, am thinking about purchasing this CJ. I used to own one way back and have missed it! Looking at the engine how bad do you think it is leaking oil? I know there has always been a problem with leaks, does this look bad to you experts? Everything else looks nice on the jeep, any thoughts on condition?

Any advise on what to look for would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Keith

MoC 06-17-2013 08:44 PM

There is nothing there that looks Laredo. Whats the asking price?

burke1973 06-17-2013 08:49 PM

Asking price is $6000, engine has only 72,000 miles on it. I know most of the trim was what made it a Laredo. No chrome here! Has the tach and clock which pretty much is it as far as the Laredo goes!

JeepMonkey 06-17-2013 09:03 PM

It's not necessarily a Laredo. Check the Vin number and firewall tag to verify. I know this because I have an 86 with tach and clock, etc. but the number show it as a base CJ7 with all the goodies.

If I remember correctly, the tell tale sign was with the seat code or color code of the seats on the firewall tag.

Laredo's had a chrome grill cover as well.

burke1973 06-17-2013 09:22 PM

Thanks, I will check out the vin and firewall codes.

walkerhoundvm 06-17-2013 09:33 PM

Let us know - the trim codes are just under the vin on the firewall. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing of value with a Laredo are the actual Laredo parts. A clock and tach is a good start, but it's missing the seats, leather grab bar and steering wheel, chrome grill cover, etc. Even if it winds up being a Laredo based on the trim, there's nothing to add value there above a base CJ that I can see.

The oil leak is probably a combination of a leaky valve cover and leaking rear main seal; about $3-400 in parts and maybe a weekend of work for someone experienced.

BagusJeep 06-18-2013 12:41 AM

6k is a lot without doors and top or spare wheel carrier and that tailgate looks like it is from the junkyard. With them it is still a bit steep.

I am always worried when I see a flip front clip. It says the owner spent so much time under the bonnet he just made it easier for himself.:cool:

The engine could be leaking from a number of places but rear main seal and rocker cover gasket are most likely. It won't cost that much, just need to get a bit dirty.

It has been lifted but has 29" tyres. I suspect someone has already removed the nice fat wheels it had, maybe other nice parts.

EveryDayCJ 06-18-2013 01:00 AM

I agree with walkerhoundvm, I have an 82 CJ5 Laredo. Unfortunately, I had to triage the seats shortly after purchase (very expensive to recreate), went with aftermarket; however a couple of my favorite items are the chrome grill (which has a cool black pinstripe around the outer edge, making it identifiable vs. aftermarket) and the chrome wheels (resurrected from the cloudy clear coat). This guy has scrapped them both... not to mention the cool little "Laredo" badge on the glove box cover! Who would do that? Zero pluses for calling it a Laredo.

Regarding the oil... original plastic valve cover = oil leak every couple of years. Don't get too excited if it seems worse in the rear (as long as it is coming from the valve cover).

By the way, if those are original "Jeep" chrome wheels under the black paint, (sounds stupid; but I've seen it before) let me know. I can give you some tips. These clearly aren't the wheels/ tires that's been on the vehicle (the 2.5" lift).

CHEEPER! Good luck

Oily 06-18-2013 04:43 AM

My Laredo is an 85. That should also have chrome bumperettes, a plastic dash overlay behind the radio/guages controls (which is also pinstriped), carpeted lower door panels/seat backs, Laredo trimmed seats.

wm69 06-18-2013 07:48 AM

That's a Renegade steering wheel. Laredo's were leather wrapped, base models had plastic spokes. It's a Renegade with optional tach/clock unless someone removed ALL the Laredo stuff and swapped in a Renegade wheel.

larock 06-18-2013 10:34 AM

We must live in the same area because this jeep also popped up on my local Craigslist. It is nice that it comes with both tops but I wouldn't pay more than 5000-5500. Just because your unsure as to the leak.

LumpyGrits 06-18-2013 12:51 PM

Is that front hood f'glass or steel?
FWIW: My base line '85 '7' came with clock and tach.
LG

TexasCJ7 06-18-2013 02:16 PM

What should the seat code for a Laredo be?

walkerhoundvm 06-18-2013 02:30 PM

Depends on the color. Nutmeg interior Laredo: 5EJ; Black interior Laredo:1EJ. In cases from '81-86, the J code is a giveaway for Laredo interior. In '82, there was an N in that position for Jambos.

Source: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...ve-train-Codes

burke1973 06-19-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LumpyGrits (Post 15577341)
Is that front hood f'glass or steel?
FWIW: My base line '85 '7' came with clock and tach.
LG

It's Fiberglass.

Here is the original posting. There are some things that I would change. I do not like the f'glass front end and would probably switch it out to steel. Also need to add a spare tire rack. Overall it seems ok and not too much of a fix but I am new to this and do not want to rush into somethng bad.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...873432744.html

Thanks for all you knowledge :)

Keith

The time now is 02:40 AM.