1985 CJ7 electrical questions (cut the red wire???) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1985 CJ7 electrical questions (cut the red wire???)

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
nyolles

1985 CJ7 electrical questions (cut the red wire???)

So I’m starting the tear down of my 1985 CJ7 258 with air conditiong. After ripping out the hack jobs for the radio and the Viper alarm system, I found the wiring was actually pretty clean. After hours of researching JeepForum, wiring diagrams – which I have no experience in reading, and the service manual, I just have a few questions about my electrical system.

I’ve done my research and to try to make things easy, I’ve labeled a few photos from my Jeep. I know there are a lot of questions jammed into a small space, but hopefully you experienced guys can help me.

A – The tachometer even though my Jeep doesn’t have one. My only question is about the note in the wiring diagram that I found saying "4 CYL ONLY". My Jeep has an inline 6. What does this mean?

B – I believe this is for the clock that didn’t come with my Jeep and the connector just needs to slide up and over the steering column to the other side. Correct?

There are no light bulb sockets for A and B though.

C – I think this is for the turn signal flasher despite the fact that the fuse box has a circular place designated for it. Correct? Quadratec and Jeep4x4Center have two parts listed 552 and 224, which do I want?

D – 4 wires (Yellow, Red, Orange, and White) coming through the firewall into the harness on the engine side. I have no idea where these go – absolutely none. This would be my biggest question.

E – air conditioning unit. Discovered goes to the fuse box. Nevermind.

F & G – air conditioning unit. I think it would be safe to assume F connects to G.

H, I & J, - air condition unit. I have no idea where these go. The AC was disabled by the previous owner. I & J were plugged together but that doesn’t seem right. H connects into black (ground?) which doesn't go anywhere, but yellow to black doesn’t seem right either.

K – coming out of the lighting connector, where does this go? 4 wires: Black, Orange, White, & Grey. It kind of looks like the white box horn relay connector which you can see is already plugged into another connector.

L & M – Again out of the lighting connector. Also don’t know where they go.

N – Hood switch was connected into the Viper alarm system. Is this switch stock? Did it go to a hood light or something originally?

I'm going to make Clue like accusation here and say the black wire currently plugged into H, should plug into M and N, and possibly work my mythical hood light??????

J, H, and L (red, yellow, and Orange) are three of the colors of the D group and could go together. But that leaves White in D and the blue I unaccounted for.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is going to be a fun project.

nyolles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, only help I can give you is the hood switch. If you have a light under there, you can use it for that. I don't know of many that have lights under there..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"K" may be for the dome light with a hard top
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
nyolles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
"K" may be for the dome light with a hard top
There's a square connector with two pins on the driver side of the rear corner panel by the tailgate that's for the hardtop dome light. I don't think this is for the hardtop. But considering it's connected to the light switch harness, I assume it's for some other lights.

Thank You,

Nate
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
nyolles

OK, after studying the electrical schematics a little more, I found that K is definitely for the OEM fog lights.
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyolles View Post
OK, after studying the electrical schematics a little more, I found that K is definitely for the OEM fog lights.
Glad you got it sorted out...
On my 85, there is a connector that connects the wire harness that runs inside the tub all the way back to the dome light connector you mention.
That connector you have pictured looks to be at about the same location near the driver side kick panel, so that is why I thought maybe it was for the dome.

Don't you just LOVE PO's that snip wires?

I had a brand new car that I took into a shop for a better aftermarket radio.
The guy cut off the factory connectors to wire in the new radio

I could have strangled him on the spot. What a lazy moron!
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, I don't think that hood switch is factory. Pretty sure they used a mercury switch built into the light itself. Thinking it is an orange wire that plugs into it IIRC.
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
nyolles

Quote:
Also, I don't think that hood switch is factory. Pretty sure they used a mercury switch built into the light itself. Thinking it is an orange wire that plugs into it IIRC.
You know what; I think you're correct. I saw the orange wire in the schematics.

Quote:
Don't you just LOVE PO's that snip wires?
Yeah, sucks. I definitely need to figure out what the 4 wires are at D, and those two at L and M. Looking at the schematics and the workshop manual provided by members on this site, I was able to determine what connectors did what, but random wires are beyond my skill level at this time.
Unread 09-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Don't know if you figured this out yet.
L and M are the courtesy light wires.Orange going to the light and Black going to a door switch for the ground to operate them.

D the 4 wires could be the Tach for a 4 cyl. Black and Orange for lighting and Yellow and Red for the Tach.
There's not to many yellow wires in the wiring.One is 10 gage the others 16.This is just a guess on the four wires
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The hood switch is probably for the alarm that you removed. All my vehicles have alarms that I have installed they they all included a switch like that to set of the alarm if someone opened the hood.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
nyolles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsg2005 View Post
The hood switch is probably for the alarm that you removed. All my vehicles have alarms that I have installed they they all included a switch like that to set of the alarm if someone opened the hood.

I think you are correct.
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
nyolles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslywalker View Post
Don't know if you figured this out yet.
L and M are the courtesy light wires.Orange going to the light and Black going to a door switch for the ground to operate them.

D the 4 wires could be the Tach for a 4 cyl. Black and Orange for lighting and Yellow and Red for the Tach.
There's not to many yellow wires in the wiring.One is 10 gage the others 16.This is just a guess on the four wires
I think D was leftover from the alarm.

But, thank you for L and M. Would it be proper to use these two wires to setup a courtesy light inside my Tuffy center console?

Thank you.
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I think D was leftover from the alarm.

But, thank you for L and M. Would it be proper to use these two wires to setup a courtesy light inside my Tuffy center console?

Thank you.
Sure you could use them for the lites in the console.The reason i know there courtesy light is i have them on mine and i'm the original owner.Rig up a switch thats looks like the one under the hood or similiar one and your good to go.
I traced my FSM manual and found a loom of wires like D that went to the tach on a 4 cyl but the four wires do look a little aftermarket type install.
Good Luck Mike
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
So I’m starting the tear down of my 1985 CJ7 258 with air conditiong. After ripping out the hack jobs for the radio and the Viper alarm system, I found the wiring was actually pretty clean. After hours of researching JeepForum, wiring diagrams – which I have no experience in reading, and the service manual, I just have a few questions about my electrical system.

I’ve done my research and to try to make things easy, I’ve labeled a few photos from my Jeep. I know there are a lot of questions jammed into a small space, but hopefully you experienced guys can help me.

A – The tachometer even though my Jeep doesn’t have one. My only question is about the note in the wiring diagram that I found saying "4 CYL ONLY". My Jeep has an inline 6. What does this mean?
It means the 6 cylinder hooks up in a different place, just off the ignition switch. I think in the later years many connections were left in the harness to make is simple and then you just hooked up the accessories as you need them.

Quote:
B – I believe this is for the clock that didn’t come with my Jeep and the connector just needs to slide up and over the steering column to the other side. Correct?

There are no light bulb sockets for A and B though.
The power for the lights for the clock and tach were on a separate harness not included in the main harness it came off the fuse box.

Quote:

C – I think this is for the turn signal flasher despite the fact that the fuse box has a circular place designated for it. Correct? Quadratec and Jeep4x4Center have two parts listed 552 and 224, which do I want?
I think your right, only the hazard flasher was left in the fuse box. I think on the left side. I'm not sure which to use, I never look at that stuff anyway.

Quote:
D – 4 wires (Yellow, Red, Orange, and White) coming through the firewall into the harness on the engine side. I have no idea where these go – absolutely none. This would be my biggest question.
Does it come through the firewall plug or just a hole in the fire wall. If NOT through the firewall plug then it may be POLOS ( Previous Owner Left over Stuff)

Quote:

E – air conditioning unit. Discovered goes to the fuse box. Nevermind.

F & G – air conditioning unit. I think it would be safe to assume F connects to G.

H, I & J, - air condition unit. I have no idea where these go. The AC was disabled by the previous owner. I & J were plugged together but that doesn’t seem right. H connects into black (ground?) which doesn't go anywhere, but yellow to black doesn’t seem right either.
I have an AC unit at home, I'll have to look at it.

Quote:
K – coming out of the lighting connector, where does this go? 4 wires: Black, Orange, White, & Grey. It kind of looks like the white box horn relay connector which you can see is already plugged into another connector.
To a separate harness for fog lights. It comes out of the Light plug because the driving/fog lights only come on when low beems are on.

Quote:
L & M – Again out of the lighting connector. Also don’t know where they go.

N – Hood switch was connected into the Viper alarm system. Is this switch stock? Did it go to a hood light or something originally?

I'm going to make Clue like accusation here and say the black wire currently plugged into H, should plug into M and N, and possibly work my mythical hood light??????
Dome or Courtesy lights

Quote:
J, H, and L (red, yellow, and Orange) are three of the colors of the D group and could go together. But that leaves White in D and the blue I unaccounted for.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is going to be a fun project.
Real fun...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , electrical

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.