1985 CJ7 bell-housing compatibility question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1985 CJ7 bell-housing compatibility question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

1985 CJ7 bell-housing compatibility question

I have an 85 CJ7 with the 2.5 Liter AMC motor in it. I ma not 100% sure if it is the T4 or T5 transmission. I will have to look closer, next weekend.

However, the motor is tired and wont stay running. I came across a free 4.2 liter in a mid 80's CJ7 that I could use to replace this near dead motor. I am yet to go up and pull it, however I know that the transmission has been taken, already.

I have been looking around and have mixed answers to my question at hand. It may be because of what year 4.2 liter people were using.

Now for the main question. Will my current bell-housing match up with the 4.2 or will I need to find a new one? I have read some posts that I would need a new one and read others that the bell-housing is the same.

Any insight?

Thanks guys.

Also, I know that the T4 or T5 wouldn't be best, but I will run it until I can't anymore... I just want to get on the road for very little $$$.

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

I don't know about the belhousing, interesting question. Pull the 4.2 bellhousing with the engine, if it's there, if not I'm you can get one cheap here. The T4 is a speed and the T5 is a 5 speed (overdrive) and either would be fine until you start hopping up the 4.2. I've got both behind the 4.2 with no problems.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
CSP

No, the bellhousing will not work. The AMC 2.5 has a different engine pattern than the 4.2.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese View Post
I don't know about the belhousing, interesting question. Pull the 4.2 bellhousing with the engine, if it's there, if not I'm you can get one cheap here. The T4 is a speed and the T5 is a 5 speed (overdrive) and either would be fine until you start hopping up the 4.2. I've got both behind the 4.2 with no problems.
So it is the T4. Thanks for that clarification. There is a possibility the bell-housing is there, but I would imagine it went with the transmission. Hopefully someone can shed some light. Otherwise, I should be able to find one at a yard somewhere.
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudsonvt View Post
I have an 85 CJ7 with the 2.5 Liter AMC motor in it. I ma not 100% sure if it is the T4 or T5 transmission. I will have to look closer, next weekend.

However, the motor is tired and wont stay running. I came across a free 4.2 liter in a mid 80's CJ7 that I could use to replace this near dead motor. I am yet to go up and pull it, however I know that the transmission has been taken, already.

I have been looking around and have mixed answers to my question at hand. It may be because of what year 4.2 liter people were using.

Now for the main question. Will my current bell-housing match up with the 4.2 or will I need to find a new one? I have read some posts that I would need a new one and read others that the bell-housing is the same.

Any insight?

Thanks guys.

Also, I know that the T4 or T5 wouldn't be best, but I will run it until I can't anymore... I just want to get on the road for very little $$$.
You'll need a new bellhousing, but you should be able to find one cheap/ used on ebay. The one you have will work for chevy engine transplants so you should be able to recoup your money selling the one you have.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
The one you have will work for chevy engine transplants so you should be able to recoup your money selling the one you have.
Actually it won't. That would be the GM 2.5 used from 80-83 (?) which is the same as the Chevy V8 and 4.3 V6.

The AMC 2.5 shares bellhousing patterns with the GM 60 V6 engines (2.8, 3.4, etc).
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

I just confirmed that the motor side bolt pattern is different.

For others reference, this is what the AMC 2.5 liter pattern looks like:

And here is the I6 and V8 pattern:

Thanks for everyones input!

Looks like I need to make a purchase.
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Actually it won't. That would be the GM 2.5 used from 80-83 (?) which is the same as the Chevy V8 and 4.3 V6.

The AMC 2.5 shares bellhousing patterns with the GM 60 V6 engines (2.8, 3.4, etc).
Ack. Missed the "AMC" before the 2.5. My mistake.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
MoC
1986 CJ7 

There is more than one bell house for the i6 / v8 btw, they differ depending on the tranny.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
There is more than one bell house for the i6 / v8 btw, they differ depending on the tranny.
Yes, we are talking T4/T5 specifically. In my case, the T4.

Also, I think I just found a T4 to 4.2Liter bellhousing, from a friend.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Also, I believe the SR4 tranny has the same bolt pattern...
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudsonvt

Yes, we are talking T4/T5 specifically. In my case, the T4.

Also, I think I just found a T4 to 4.2Liter bellhousing, from a friend.
I understand that, just making sure you understood that since no where above did you or anyone else mention that there more than one AMC i6 / v8 bell house.
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I understand that, just making sure you understood that since no where above did you or anyone else mention that there more than one AMC i6 / v8 bell house.
Thanks. It wasn't 100% clear. Sorry.

I hope this thread proves handy for others trying to figure out the same thing I was: T4/T5/SR4 specific AMC 2.5 Liter Swap to 4.2 Liter I6 or AMC 304/360 V8s. Not the same 2.5 as the GMC Iron Duke.
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

You will also need the frame brackets for the 4.2. The 2.5 are not the same. And the engine mounts. And the brackets for the engine side of the mounts. Look for the 1/8" thick spacers/plates that go between the engine mount and the engine side brackets.

Pic of the parts.

You will also need to shorten/lengthen your drive shafts as they are different lengths for the 2.5 and the 4.2.

Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are engine specific as well.

You will need a clutch slave and maybe a clutch master if you want to maintain the hydro clutch. If not, then the manual clutch parts.

4.2 radiator and shroud.

Alternator bracket and PS brackets will fit either the 2.5 or 4.2. Need different hoses for the PS.

New radiator hoses.

And you will do well to Nutter it as IIRC the computers are different. Not sure.

Grab the air cleaner as well.
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow85cj View Post
You will also need the frame brackets for the 4.2. The 2.5 are not the same. And the engine mounts. And the brackets for the engine side of the mounts. Look for the 1/8" thick spacers/plates that go between the engine mount and the engine side brackets.

Pic of the parts.

You will also need to shorten/lengthen your drive shafts as they are different lengths for the 2.5 and the 4.2.

Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are engine specific as well.

You will need a clutch slave and maybe a clutch master if you want to maintain the hydro clutch. If not, then the manual clutch parts.

4.2 radiator and shroud.

Alternator bracket and PS brackets will fit either the 2.5 or 4.2. Need different hoses for the PS.

New radiator hoses.

And you will do well to Nutter it as IIRC the computers are different. Not sure.

Grab the air cleaner as well.
Thanks, this is great.

I should be able to get the motor mounts and brackets right from the other Jeep. Hopefully the radiator is there and in OK condition. Probably needs a good flush.

I am going to use an HEI distributor. The old and new are both carbureted so it should be pretty straight forward.

Then I will need to see what is going on with clutch parts and the drive shafts.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.