1985 Cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1985 Cj7

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
BeatAChevy289

1985 Cj7

Hello all. I'm not new to Jeeps but I have stepped away for a while. (Been a member here since like 2003 and left in 2005) I formerly had a 95 YJ 2.5L on 33's but sold it for a Camaro which was totalled and now I have a Firebird. I had an offer to trade my bird for a 1985 CJ7 today. I haven't seen it in person yet but I'm going to be talking to the owner tomorrow. A few questions your way though, if you don't mind. This Jeep has the 4.2L with a 4-speed. Sometimes I have to go to Atlanta on the highway about a 30min drive without traffic. Would this be difficult to hit speeds of 65mph on street tires? (31's) I know once my 2.5L YJ hit above 65mph it was turning HIGH rpms and sounded like it was going to explode. And did the 1985 model year come with power steering/brakes as an option at all? Thanks! -Drew <><

1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Yes on power steering and brakes.
Gearing affects RPMs. 33s act like a lower gear. My 83 CJ7 on 31s does not run HIGH RPMs at freeway speeds. I do have a five speed tranny though.
What catches my interest is that your Firebird is gonna decrease in value, they are a dime a dozen. The CJ can be a money making investment. They are not getting cheaper by a long shot. You don't say what year your Firebird is, I may be wrong
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

If the differential gearing is stock or near stock highway speeds will be no problem.
The best 4 speed in this eara is the T-176 it can usually be identified by the straight shift lever.
Enjoy!
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

You can gear it to run the highway RPMS/speeds you would like. Stock 2.73 gearing and 31's would put you around 1994 RPM at 65 MPH, 3.07s would put you at 2163 RPM, etc.

Is it possible to drive in Atlanta without traffic?

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmonist
. I don't know but, once I went through Atlanta with the traffic. I got hung up in that traffic and had to go 80 mph to keep up/stay out of the way. It seemed as though I could not move over either. Traveling through Georgia and not knowing the roads, Atlanta was a white knuckle ride.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

I've got an 85 cj7 with 33s, 2.73 gears, the T-176 four speed, and the 4.2, i can run highway speeds all day long 70+ without any problems (other than loose steering!), it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
valkadesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
BeatAChevy289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily
Yes on power steering and brakes.
Gearing affects RPMs. 33s act like a lower gear. My 83 CJ7 on 31s does not run HIGH RPMs at freeway speeds. I do have a five speed tranny though.
What catches my interest is that your Firebird is gonna decrease in value, they are a dime a dozen. The CJ can be a money making investment. They are not getting cheaper by a long shot. You don't say what year your Firebird is, I may be wrong
The Firebird is a 95' with 84k and the car is fully loaded with leather, 6-speed and t-tops. I've been trying to sell it straight out but nobody is biting. It just so happens in the past week I have had two trade offers. And that pretty much rocks <><
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
BeatAChevy289

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmonist

On the rare instance that 1) it is about 10:00 at night and 2) there are no braves, hawks, or thrashers games going on 3) there are no big concerts and 4) it's not a weekend

soooo, in a nutshell....no haha.

But thanks for all the responses guys! I really appreciate it. <><
<><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.