Well, I guess it's about time to start a build thread since we are about as far down to bare bones as we can get. A little background information:
My Grandfather purchased this CJ new in 1985. It was used for a long time in the family surveying business, taking usually my grandfather, uncle, and dad and their equipment where they needed to go. They surveyed lot's of large properties (Farms and forest) in the area for many years, so it was obviously used as a Jeep instead of a sunday driver. My grandfather passed before I had the chance to meet him, but the jeep stayed in the family when my uncle bought the business. It was never really garage kept until my uncle built his sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's, and somewhere in and around that time, it did not pass inspection and was taken off the road where it sat…and sat. I had a Chevy Blazer that blew a transmission…again…so it was decided it was time to invest some time and money into the Jeep. That was Junior or Senior year in High School. I'm now a Junior in college. Ah well it's getting there now more then ever. Here's how it looked after some basic disassembly was done:
When we originally started, we, like most jeep projects…were only going to do one thing:
Replace the body. When you can stick your fist through the side of the old tub, you wonder how it DID pass inspection in years prior..lets just say theres lots of patching on the old tub. No problems with that…it kept the jeep on the road.
Obviously, as we all know, things never go as planned.
One saturday afternoon we just went hog wild and stripped the jeep down to the frame. After years of sitting outside and in the nice Pennsylvania winters (thanks PennDot for your excessive use of salt) we discovered the frame was not as in good a shape as we thought. The Frame to body mounts were almost rusted through and the rear crossmember was trash.
Here it is halfway through the process:
And here are the holes you could throw a baseball through:
Yes, that really is a hole the size of my foot where the roll bar meets the tub and in an area close to a body mount.
Once everything was removed body wise, we took the chassis to a friend of ours and he welded on a new rear cross member that I had ordered as well as new frame to body mounts. I wish I had a welder of my own but I haven't broken down and gotten one yet as all money has been going towards the Jeep. I'll put those pictures on once I get home for a weekend from college and can grab the camera those pictures are on.
At some point in the middle of all that, I found out a friend of mine was selling a galvanized YJ tub he didn't need anymore. I bought it, and got it sandblasted. Of course, like every other tub out there, the floorboard on the drivers side was rotted out so that was replaced. There were a some other minor patching that needed to be done so they were done and it was shot with a coat of primer. At the same time all salvageable sheet metal, which was mostly everything except for the tub such as fenders, grill, etc. was also sand blasted and given a coat of primer.
Here they are:
New to me tub
Same Tub after a trip to the sandblasters:
Fenders and grill after sandblasting and a coat of primer:
That's the start of it. I'll add more progress a bit later tonight along with my "dream list" of to-do's. So far so good…minus the bank account.