1984 CJ7 Vacuum - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 Vacuum

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
gary4569
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 55
1984 CJ7 Vacuum

Quote:

Original vac diagram



.
Does any one know what and where the port connected to the distributor is located?
I found the diagram above, but I am unsure what the vac advance hooks to.

gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,961
Looks like you have one of the funky ones that mixes ported and manifold vacuums so your distributor line has a t fitting on it that goes to a round vacuum module one way and around to the brake fitting likely on the other side of the t fitting with one more t off to the switches on the top back of the valve cover.

The round vacuum module has a line going to the valve cover side nipple on the carb with a T along the way running down to the charcoal canister purge signal on the fender.

If you want it simple, the distributor can be plumbed with a T fitting to pick up the canister line and then go direct to the side carb port. You will need that vacuum delay valve in there too though I think. That would disable a part of the emissions system though.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 2,650
There is no mixing of vacuum advance sources in that diagram.
This one is shown plumbed direct to manifold vacuum, see the fitting just below the EGR label.
It will be this one. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/m.htm
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
gary4569
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 55
The po had connected the vac advance to the port labeled E
And disconnected the egr system and vac canister
I want to put all back as factory had installed it.
gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 2,650
If you're working on your '84 CJ this diagram may be more accurate. The two are similar however this one utilizes a 5 nipple dual CTO.
vacuhose.jpg  
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
gary4569
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 55
Thanks. My cj7 has the two port cto
gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
There is no mixing of vacuum advance sources in that diagram.
This one is shown plumbed direct to manifold vacuum, see the fitting just below the EGR label.
It will be this one. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/m.htm
If you carefully follow the lines to the bottom of the diagram you will see the vacuum sw asm that is plumbed to the S port on the carb and to the distributor line. This is a vacuum mixer that mixes ported and manifold vacuums from what I have read up on. I have seen them on several engines.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4569 View Post
The po had connected the vac advance to the port labeled E
And disconnected the egr system and vac canister
I want to put all back as factory had installed it.
Do you have the missing pieces? I am thinking that vacuum diverter valve or vac. sw.asm. They are about 2" round and 1" deep and usually sit someplace behind the carb. Usually the long vacuum line going to them is steel. They have strange looking ribs on them if I remember right. Some photos of what you now have can sure help.

The canister is important to have working, it is the gas tank vent. It also has a $2.00 air filter for the bottom of it most folks don't know about. the first filter is a bear to dig out, but after that new ones just tuck in and out.

.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
If you carefully follow the lines to the bottom of the diagram you will see the vacuum sw asm that is plumbed to the S port on the carb and to the distributor line. This is a vacuum mixer that mixes ported and manifold vacuums from what I have read up on. I have seen them on several engines.
No, that assembly doesn't mix the signals.
Each is independent of the other.
They translate both the ported as well as the manifold vacuum signal strength into electrical current and that is sent as input to the computer.
The 4 & 10" vacuum switch assembly acts as a throttle position sensor.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N.E. Alabama
Posts: 2,650
Here is a link that may clear up some often stated misunderstanding of the CJ vacuum system.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuum.htm
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
No, that assembly doesn't mix the signals.
Each is independent of the other.
They translate both the ported as well as the manifold vacuum signal strength into electrical current and that is sent as input to the computer.
The 4 & 10" vacuum switch assembly acts as a throttle position sensor.
I am thinking another flavor of emissions then, sorry.
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Mike Romain
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off the Grid in Chester Grant, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 13,961
One more thought, if you are missing parts, just ask on this forum and you should find them easily. Lots of folks are removing most of the emissions systems and manually tuning them up. See: How to - Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com
__________________
Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
gary4569
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Do you have the missing pieces? I am thinking that vacuum diverter valve or vac. sw.asm. They are about 2" round and 1" deep and usually sit someplace behind the carb. Usually the long vacuum line going to them is steel. They have strange looking ribs on them if I remember right. Some photos of what you now have can sure help.

The canister is important to have working, it is the gas tank vent. It also has a $2.00 air filter for the bottom of it most folks don't know about. the first filter is a bear to dig out, but after that new ones just tuck in and out.

.
It looks like all pieces are still intact. I will have to check on the vac sw asm now that I know where to look.
I just bought this CJ and will have to do emissions testing when I register it. That is why I am trying to get all of these things hooked back up.

Thanks for all the help... These vacuum/emission systems seem overly complicated.
gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
gary4569
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4569 View Post
It looks like all pieces are still intact. I will have to check on the vac sw asm now that I know where to look.
I just bought this CJ and will have to do emissions testing when I register it. That is why I am trying to get all of these things hooked back up.

Thanks for all the help... These vacuum/emission systems seem overly complicated.
It does have the vac sw asm, but it is not hooked up. No F/delay or in line vac reservoir. Is this a critical system. What is it's function?

If I connect the vac advance to the correct port (M), does the vac sw asm have to be connected?
gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
emissions , vacuum advance , vacuum lines

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.