1984 CJ7 Transmission removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 Transmission removal

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ7 Transmission removal

Hello Guys,

well after waiting around for a while I finally dropped that tranny/transfer case.. after removing the shifters I held the tranny up with a strap up and over the roll bar and tied to the rear bumper.. I supported the bell housing with a small jack and used my floor jack under the trans skid plate... removed all the bolts and brought her down slowly... next step is to clean it up a bit, remove tcase and take a look inside... here is quick pic of my dirty transmission and transfer case.... feel free to comment and give me any tips, I would appreciate it..

photo-1.jpg

rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
agear
1984 CJ7 

you planning on rebuilding the tranny ? T5 or T4 or SR4 ?
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

i'm hoping to rebuild it.. once I take a look inside I will figure out if its something I want to tackle or just get one of my mechanic buds to do it for me.. it's a T5... I am also keeping an eye on craigslist and other local vending sites for a cheap replacement just to get me back on the dirt road..
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
agear
1984 CJ7 

I started to rebuild my old one but changed my mind and decided to get a t176. At any rate either draw and or take plenty of pictures before you pull stuff apart. You have to reallly take your time taking it apart because uts not always obvious which part you have your hand based on the haynes manual diagram. In particular the internal linkage that I think is screwed to the driverside of the case. And take the adapter housing apart real slow too so you can see where everything goes in there. I think there was a thrust washer or needle bearing I couldnt figure out where the hell it went
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

What trans do 89 wranglers come with, a guy in town has a motor, trans, and transfer case.. I'm going to take a look at it in a bit but I don't want to go not knowing if its a easy swap.. He said the motor is a 4.2

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.