1984 CJ7 temp gauge question, need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 temp gauge question, need help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ7 temp gauge question, need help

hello fellow jeep brothers... hope all is good with ya'll.. my new issue that came up with my jeep is that I went fishing and on the way home i noticed the temp gauge going up to about the half way point, it usually stays about a qrt up.. so anyways when I stopped after driving about 50 miles I noticed that when I restarted the engine the needle went all the way to hot and then came back down to about half way point, I dont think it's ever done that before.. when I got home after letting it cool down I removed the radiator cap to see if it needed fluid, it was full but I did notice a black looking residue around the cap / radiator neck, it kinda looked like rubber... please let me know if you guys have any ideas of what this could be.. sorry about the long story.. my jeep has been running because of the help i've gotten on this site.. thank you all..

rick

rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Black stuff? interesting.

I'm thinking it could be something in the water from filling it, biological, rubber from a deteriorating rubber hose or exhaust carbon.

I would leave the cap off and start the engine and see if there are any bubbles coming out. it could be a sign of a leak in the head gasket.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Is your coolant newer or older? Clean or dirty?
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

With a 195 degree t-stat Grammys runs at all but the half way mark.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

thanks you guys, I will try out your suggestions..
@ken444... the fluids are new, well 7 months new.. still looking nice and green...
I will keep you posted... thank you all
rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.