1984 CJ7 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
gary4569
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ7 question

Stock suspension 1984 CJ7.
What effect would factory size 235/75/15 tires have on loose steering that does not return to center.
Currently have 31x10.5 all-terrain on a wider wheel which drive much better that the mud tires I have on the factory wheels.

I have the factory Laredo 15x7 wheels and I am thinking of putting stock tire size on them, but don't know how steering will be effected.

gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

That tyre is around 29" so you will reduce from 31" back down to 29" with what sounds like reduced offset.

Steering is affected by a number of measurements including caster angle. Changing the tyre and wheel size will change those measurements and angles and will have an effect upon self centering. However a 31" tyre is not a massive change so it may not be the total explanation.

If you want to get the centering back with 31" tyres you will have to have the geometry measured, work out what you need and get it changed. It sounds like you do not have enough caster, but best get it checked before going in and changing anything.

I am not sure what you mean by "loose". If there is excessive play in the steering, especially worn bushes, you will struggle to get a level of handling and self centring. If in doubt I suggest you get it checked and fixed before you spend any money.

The A/T will drive better than the M/T, they are more road biased. Not brilliant off road but you know that.

If your suspension is still correctly aligned for the factory tyres (a big iff on a 27 year old vehicle) you will notice a slight improvement when you change. I suggest strongly you have a proper 4 wheel alignment check before buying new tyres, you may find the results interesting.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
gary4569
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "loose". If there is excessive play in the steering, especially worn bushes, you will struggle to get a level of handling and self centring. If in doubt I suggest you get it checked and fixed before you spend any money.
No play in steering. Very easy to turn the steering wheel. Tends to wander especially on old uneven roads. Better with all-terrain tires. Drives pretty good on interstate highways.

Also noticed the front axle is a little off center. One tire sticks out of fender a little more that the other.
gary4569 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , laredo , steering , tires. tire

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.