1984 CJ7 that i am trying to get running again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 that i am trying to get running again

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
JustinCJ7
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ7 that i am trying to get running again

Ok here goes, i am new to working on jeeps but have been around them in some way all my life. Right now i have an 84 CJ7 with stock 5 speed transmission and a hydraulic clutch. It had been sitting for about 6-7 years because of registration issues and emissions, it was not mine so i did not have much say in the issues but now i have taken to getting it road worthy and bringing it back to life. My first task was to get the clutch working again, i took it off cleaned both the master and slave and put it back in only to realize that i was broken before i even touched it because the push-rod for the slave had nothing to attach it to the clutch "swingarm" (i know that i not correct but it is the best way to describe it) so even if it would engage it would have now way to pull it back when the clutch was let off. I am at a loss of what i need to do at this point, i think i need a new slave but the only ones i see have now way to connect it to the clutch it is just a rod. If anyone has pictures or anything that shows how this thing should look that would be amazing because then i would know where i need to be with this assembly. This is my first project jeep and while i may not have the greatest mechanical knowledge out there i am pretty quick on the uptake of information once i see how something should be done. Thank you for your assistance and i look forward to getting some pictures up soon .

JustinCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
JustinCJ7
1984 CJ7 

anyone out there?
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
adman02
1979 CJ7 

might find some diagrams and other helpful info here:

CJ-FSM-84to86.pdf
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
JustinCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thank you that gives me a good place to start and see where things are going wrong. I suppose a more direct question would now be how does the hydraulic slave pushrod connect to the throwout lever on the clutch
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
1983 CJ7 

A spring holds the clutch fork against the pivot ball inside the bellhousing and another holds the clutch fork in place and in the forward position, if the springs are missing or broke they will not hold the fork forward. The rod fits between the slave cylinder and the fork, spring pressure holds it in place.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

X2 on the clutch fork holding the slave rod in place.

BTW, I looked at your profile and you have a Chevy V8. If that's attached to a T5 and you're running the stock gearing (possibly 2.73s), that transmission won't last long.

It would be wise to fill out the technical aspects of your Jeep more fully.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
JustinCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thank you guys so much now I know exactly what I need to do. I do believe that the T5 is what's in there as it is a 5 speed and the stock transmission running as far as i know stock gears.

Last edited by JustinCJ7; 07-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: more info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.