1984 CJ7 Engine Rebuild(258) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 Engine Rebuild(258)

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
GLane80

1984 CJ7 Engine Rebuild(258)

I've got an 84 with a 258 in it that I just never could get to run quite right, I'd tried a fresh from the box carb, tune ups, and so on.... And it just never did get where I wanted, finally I did the nutter bypass and got a minor amount of relief, but that just left me wanting to clean up the engine bay a little more.

I finally decided to pull the engine, rebuild it from top to bottom, order a new Motorcraft 2100, Aluminum valve cover, ARP head bolts(7/16th size), and now I'm on to putting everything together.

Where I'm at now I've got the engine mounted in the jeep, transmission isnt in yet though, but I'm installing the head. In the future I plan to do a 4.0 head, but right now I just need to get it running and make sure all of my other stuffs up to par and solid. I've also got a "junk yard" Howell type fuel injection system partially together, I'm missing a couple of sensors, but I don't plan on putting that on until I do a 4.0 head.

The distributor I've got is a motorcraft unit that the cap screws onto, it doesnt clip/clamp on like some I've seen, and I'm not for sure this is factory...
If I could find anyone with some solid info/experience with the Summit blue printed HEI unit, I'd seriously consider ordering one for $160. I've head way to much about the ebay units being crap to mess with them.

Any tips, ideas, thoughts, feedback or instructions would be very much appriciated. I'm a little foggy on exactly how the throttle linkage for the motorcraft carb is going to go, but I'm sure ill figure it out. The prior carb was a Carter BBD, which must be the worst possible way to deliver fuel and air to an engine ever designed by human kind... The old dreaded Amal 932's I use to run on my 1972 Triumph motorcycle were wonderful compared to the Carter....

GLane80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.