1984 CJ7 2.5 AMC - Carb & intake question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ7 2.5 AMC - Carb & intake question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
cpop
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ7 2.5 AMC - Carb & intake question

Looking for carb/intake ideas.

I've got internal engine problems that need addressing. So.... we're about to dive in and repair/rebuild instead of gut and replace.

My mechanic wants to rebuild the engine and is talking of getting away from the single barrel carb and switching to a 2 barrel carb and cutting lose all the extra "safe air" vac stuff.

Sounds good to me but I was hoping someone would have some sort of input from experience.

So far I feel good about all his other ideas.

Last edited by cpop; 07-26-2011 at 09:03 PM..
cpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

been there, done that

I have a 1984 cj, 4 cylinder, 4 speed, basic little jeep, red.

i had the motor replaced, new long block at 135K, then replace carb with a Weber carb.
runs pretty good, no speed demon, but it only has about 60-80 hp (i think)
main issue, starts good, runs good, uses no oil

It was kinda of a pain getting the weber set up and running, but was because i am not that much of a mech. parts all fit fine.
got the carb from quadratrack or some such jeep place.
fbhart@wk.net
email me and i can send you some pictures of the setup and tell you more about it.
unit has worked well for me.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Is this the same 150ci engine that was used in the Wrangler or is it the Iron Duke Pontiac engine 151ci?
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I believe the 1984 model got AMC's version of the 4 cylinder, not the GM iron duke engine.
I think AMC stopped using the GM motor in the 1983 model year.

Iron duke was a much better motor, so i have been told, but I have the 1984 version so that is what i work with.

That was the first thing i was ask by a old mech when i told him i had bought a jeep with a 4 cylinder, he ask what year was it, i said 1984, he said well you got screwed, (he was never one to hold his true feelings back).

He said the 1984+ motors by AMC were crap++++.
but its worked all these years
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

You probably have your reasons for staying with the 4 cyl but, wouldn't it almost be cheaper to find a used 258 around and drop that it?

there is 2 on craigslist right now in Dallas $400-$500
MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
twmattox

I would argue with that mechanic. The AMC 150 is a very stout little engine. Mine had well over 220k on the odometer, never burnt oil, great compression. If I had not totaled the Jeep I am sure it would still be running just fine. They are not speed deamons...but with a proper axle ratio are tolerable.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
cpop
1984 CJ7 

Hello Folk..

This is my first post and I really appreciate the current feedback for sure. I'll take it all in and let you know how it goes.

I'm not looking to break any travel records, in fact I'm looking primarily for a ranch vehicle that will travel if I want it to.

@MrWonderful73-- Would I not have to upgrade the drivetrain as well with the 258 6cyl?

More input is certainly welcomed.
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

I certainly would not put the money needed to rebuild an engine into your 4 cylinder, sorry but I can't hold my feelings back!

Now let me state that I own a 82 CJ8 with a 149k miles Iron Duke and it will kick the butt of my 86 CJ7 with only 50k miles. The 86 has a T5 OD tranny, like get serious. It is not that I'm opposed to the 4 bangers, I just wouldn't put 2-3 grand into one and that is what you are about to do. I rebuilt my 258, It was $1200 machine work, $425 new head, $150 new intake, $400 new carb, $150 new header and NO labor to assemble or install. I guarrenty you will be north of $2000 before it runs again. Find a complete running used 258 or go big and get a 4.0 and never look back. You'll be gald you did.
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
cpop
1984 CJ7 

@bkeese - thanks for sure....

Tags
2.5 , cj7 , intake , overhaul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.