1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

So I've been really busy at work (and some play!), but I was able to work on the Jeep for a while last night. The PO really did a piss poor job with maintaining it, and it's going to make my job that much harder! Anyways, yesterday, I removed the steering wheel and the dash (as part of my quest to remove the tub!). Pictures below as usual.

What it looked like after I popped the cover off.

Using a Steering Wheeler Puller, I was able to get the steering wheel off with absolutely zero problems. I discovered the steering column was a little rusted and parts will need to be replaced.

Next came the dash. Fortunately, most of the wires were not plugged in anyways, so it wasn't that hard of an ordeal to remove. I will have to replace all the dials and switches as they are all rusted. And the wires look to be in very bad shape. So those will have to be replaced too.

What it looks like as of right now. My tarp will finally come in tomorrow, so I plan to start removing the exterior of the front Wednesday night. Tonight, I think I'm going to try my hand at dropping the transmission, which has me a little nervous since I've never done anything like this before. But there's a time to learn everything! So far, I have not run into any troublesome bolts, nuts, or screws, but I know that's going to change! Hopefully, I'll get some spare time this weekend to get the torch and welder up and running. This is shaping up to be a very fun and rewarding hobby so far! I'm not going to lie though, I've felt a little overwhelmed at times, but it's passed. I'm sticking on track!

AggieBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #32
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieBoxer View Post
What it looks like as of right now. My tarp will finally come in tomorrow, so I plan to start removing...

... Hopefully, I'll get some spare time this weekend to get the torch and welder up and running. This is shaping up to be a very fun and rewarding hobby so far! I'm not going to lie though, I've felt a little overwhelmed at times, but it's passed. I'm sticking on track!

hee hee hee... This is a fun and rewarding hobby. This is a fun and rewarding hobby. This is a fun and rewarding hobby. (tic) This is a fun and rewarding hobby. This is a fun and rewarding hobby. This is a fun and rewarding hobby. (snorx) This is a fun and rewarding hobby. This is a fun and rewarding hobby. This is a fun and rewarding hobby. (blurp) This is a fun and rewarding hobby.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #33
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Great progress so far! Back to the wiring...I would look at the new harness too. I spent a week with my 86cj7 to unlimited frustration! A new harness is on the way for me!
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #34
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

good luck its good to see someone from these parts do a restore. I am getting ready to pull a 78 and an 81 apart and will be watching here.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
pcake
1984 CJ7 

Can we assume that the tub will be painted maroon after you get it off?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Whoop! Aggies taking over the forum. Class of '01 here. If you need anything give me a shout. I live an hour from you. PM me with any questions or needs you may have. And maroon is a perfect color for a jeep!
image-1929221454.jpg  
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
AggieSeaBass
1984 CJ7 

Ok guys and gals,

After a LENGTHY layaway, I was able to start back up on this project. My plan is to have it drive-able by Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I used the digital camera so I'll have to post a few pics tomorrow (left it at home). But in a nutshell, I was able to get the hood off yesterday, which is one step closer to getting the tub off. I really struggled with getting the shifter off of the transmission as one of the PO's welded them together, making it IMPOSSIBLE to get the stick off. However, I am one step closer to getting the transmission off. Right now, I'm in a dilemma on when to drop the transmission. I have 2 floorjacks and some extra lumber lying around, so I thought about making a homemade tranny jack (I've seen some pics on how to do it). But my buddy has an actual tranny jack and is willing to let me borrow up, but it's down in Houston. Depending on how much daylight is available when I get home this week, I might just wait until this weekend to drop it.

I've modified my priorities as of now:

1)Transmission
2)Tub/body redone
3)Brakes/brake system
4)Exhaust
5)Starter/spark plugs/engine maintenance.
6)Gas tank
7)Interior
8)Audio

As I said, I'm a newbie at this and have a history of starting and quitting projects. But I'm hellbent on getting this thing up and running by the end of May, which I think is possible. Once it's running and looks decent, I'll be satisfied...for now. Eventually, when I get a little more out of debt and stable, I'm going to completely restore it. As in, stripping all the way to the frame. But for now, the frame is in good enough condition to make do with. I just want to be able to drive it again!

On a side note, the 220V outlet I was planning on using as a welding outlet is not functioning. So I think I'm going to call an electrician to get it up and running so I can use the welder.

Anyways, I'll update with a few pictures tomorrow with what I've done. I have to admit that I'm a little nervous/excited because this is by far the biggest auto undertaking I've ever done, and I don't have a lot of guidance.
AggieSeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
AggieSeaBass
1984 CJ7 

Aggiejon, it will be painted maroon! I have a buddy with a spray gun and the necessary space, so once I get it ripped apart, I'll load it on a trailer and get that sucker painted. I'm replacing at least one of the fenders, but everything else just needs some TLC. The tub will definitely need some spot welding, but besides that, I'm thinking about sanding it down a bit and just painting over the previous coat. Unless y'all think it's worth it to sandblast it...I'm open to ideas!
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #39
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieSeaBass
Aggiejon, it will be painted maroon! I have a buddy with a spray gun and the necessary space, so once I get it ripped apart, I'll load it on a trailer and get that sucker painted. I'm replacing at least one of the fenders, but everything else just needs some TLC. The tub will definitely need some spot welding, but besides that, I'm thinking about sanding it down a bit and just painting over the previous coat. Unless y'all think it's worth it to sandblast it...I'm open to ideas!
Personally, if it is factory paint in good condition, sand it, prep it, and paint it. If its been repainted, or you have lots of work to do on it, may be worth having it sandblasted.

I would suggest, and my free advice is worth exactly twice what you paid for it, would be to

a) get it mechanically sound by way of repairing systems such as brakes/tranny/engine and drive it.

b) if you are going to pull the tub, work on the frame while the sheet metal is off and easy to work on. Would hate to pull the tub twice. A trip with the rolling chassis to the coin op carwash and clean up rust with a wire brush on a grinder. Check the welds and the usual suspects where those frames like to rot. Fix those if you need to.

Just remember, it can be an overwhelming and at times discouraging project just enjoy it and keep plenty of beer around. And remember to think about it this way...how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Gig 'em
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #40
AggieSeaBass
1984 CJ7 

It's been painted about 2-3 times by the looks of it. PO really neglected it (before my B-I-L bought). How expensive would sandblasting be? Would it be worth buying a pressure washer with a sandblasting kit on it to do it? I figured if I can get the tub off, it would be about 10x easier to replace the brakes/exhaust system. It needs to come off anyhow for repairs. One of the body mounts is jacked up too. Might have to cut it off...

I'm really worried about the electrical system and dashboard too. Would it be worth just dismantling all existing wiring and replacing it with one of those EZ kits?
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #41
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I'd say take it and have it blasted. Sandblasting takes a lot of air, makes a huge mess, and can warp and ruin the metal if not done right. Make sure they prime it after they blast it so it doesn't start to rust after blasting.

Wiring can be a challenge. I reworked mine with a painless harness when I redid mine. Was convenient. However, I removed or did not have option for many systems offered (kits are built for jeeps with every possible factory option) and ended up tossing lots of wire.

Further, I completed an EFI swap on mine this summer and basically tore out every wire under the hood. I also designed and cut a custom dash and rewired it. So essentially I bought a wiring harness and ended up reworking most of it. Personally, if I were to do it over, I would just take the fuse block and replace the wires and run them through the jeep. Watch eBay or Craigslist for a project gone amuck and pick up a deal.

If I could give only one piece of electrical advice (wiring is my weak suit) make sure every ground is good. Connect the ground with a wide loop connector to shiny steel then Paint over it. Will make everything work better and save you a ton of headaches.
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
AggieSeaBass
1984 CJ7 

I kind of want to go back to the original stock bar...any advice on why to keep the current stock bar?

Also, any recommendation on Jeep parts online or stores in Houston?
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

The stock rollbars come up all the time on craigslist. bar for a CJ7 or a sport bar for a 87-91 YJ are all the same. later 80s model bars have the bungs for three point shoulder seatbelts. My 79 does not have provisions for shoulder belts. I just hacked up a rollbar from an 84 to add to my 79 bar to make a provision for rear seat shoulder belts for the kiddos. Finally gave up on finding a family bar from a 92-95 YJ that comes able to be fixed up front and rear with shoulder belts. So out comes the welder...
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #44
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

Others on here know far more then I but I dont think the bar in your first set of pix is an original rollbar for your Jeep. Looks like an older CJ5 bar to me. Just my 2/100$
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
AggieSeaBass
1984 CJ7 

You are correct, Boise. It is not the original rollbar. I found one on craigslist that I'm in negotiations for. I'm waiting on pics. I do want to take it back to the original rollbar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.