1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Shoot, that looks to be in great shape! Blast all of that mud out of it and you've got a solid tub to work with. I'm still curious to know what will be lurking under the diamond plate. Get your MIG ready (or go get one). Outside of the Raptor bedliner spraying, the welding was the most enjoyable part of working on mine.

82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

I'll take the diamond plate off next!
AggieBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Bray-mers... pretty....

The wiring won't be so bad. I am in the finishing-up stage now, and I have no skills. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard! Makes sense, I know.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The tub looks salvageable but you need to take it off first, put aside a couple of days to get it down to a rolling chassis. I guess you will find rust in the cowl area, rear quarters, rear floor, behind the seats, in the rocker panels and a few other areas. But all repairable.

The windshield frane is rusted, looks like you will need a replacement. They are not expensive.

The electrics do not look that bad. A fair few wires are disconnected and hanging but they look in good condition. When you drop the dash panel you will be able to route them and tie them up and wrap them and clean it up. This is esier than trying to replace the whole harness. There are a lot of wires there but surpriisngly few things they connect together. You can unplug the dash harness at the Bulkhead Connector when you free the tub from the frame and engine bay.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
Impy62

If it makes you feel any better, here in Illinois, that tub would be considered EXCELLENT. If you need proof, search craiglist for jeep CJs in Illinois lol.
Impy62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
spward

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieBoxer View Post
I have that center console in my 85 and it holds water right there too.

USN Hull #227

Last edited by spward; 08-10-2012 at 01:54 PM..
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
FrnchDp

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spward View Post
I have that center console in my 84 and it holds water right there too.
I had that console a while back.. until some yahoo broke into it (to steal the busted amp.. but not the polarized sunglasses...), leading to the plastic cracking right off with the lock.

2000 WJ Limited - V8-287
FrnchDp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

AggieBoxer,

I have to disagree with BagusJeep about the electrical. You say it is a 1984 jeep... That is 28 years old. The electrical system maybe OK, but the insulation on that wiring could be cracked and "arcing" while you are driving. Putting in a new, simple universal electrical system is simple and it is all modern wire with awesome insulation. Whenever I restore any jeep or outdoor vehicle, I always put in a new electrical system unless it is in super shape. Being outdoors in the field can turn into a "survival situation" in the blink of an eye. You don't want to "encourage" those situations unless you truly can't afford the new electrical system.

My first jeep was a WWII MB. That electrical wiring system simply did not hold up over the years. There was "grounds" where there shouldn't have been and "arcing" all the time. When I bought my 1992 YJ from my brother, the electrical system was greatly improved (as far as insulation and what not) but it was still in poor shape from cracking in the insulation and not really washing "road grunge" off of it. I was too broke to put in a new electrical system so I had to "make do". I really went through it for a few weeks and traced wires, replaced wires, improved grounds, replaced terminals, tied down wires, etc. It was worth it but it was still a "patch job". It held for the past twelve years but I always wanted better. When I did my frame up restoration, I bought a brand new Painless "Universal Truck" system for it. I wanted a longer harness so I could mount my fuse box in a better place with better access. (I chose to mount the new fuse box in a military ammo can under the hood for easy access and waterproofness... I think I just made up a word...) Anyway, I haven't finished the electrical yet, but it is getting there.

If I was you, I would save up and replace the electrical system. If you can't afford it, I would carefully and thoroughly go through each wire and replace, repair, crimp, ground, etc., etc., until you got it dependable.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

I had family in town this weekend, so I wasn't able to get as much done as I wanted to, but I spent some time yesterday evening doing odd jobs. I removed the windshield and started the process of removing the transmission. I had to stop so I do some research to make sure I was doing it correctly! When I removed the cross member for the transmission, I saw some transmission fluid leaking. I have the jack in place so when I get home tonight, I'm going to try my hand at lowering it down. As always, here are some pics. Sorry for the poor quality...I'm using my iPhone!

Removed the windshield. I've loosened the hinges but will have to wait until the dash is removed to finish.

Here's a pic of the cross member of the transmission. If you look closely, you can see how wet it is.

What my finger looked like after touching the cross member.

Removed! When I removed it, the transmission housing dropped about 6 inches, so I want to get it out ASAP!

Boxer's public enemy #1 right now!

The shifter...I've already removed the screws to loosen the plate.

My goal this week is to drop the transmission and perhaps get the tub off, which is going to be a PITA.

BTW thanks for the electrical advice. Most of the wiring seems to be in piss poor shape so I'll do my best to replace as needed, although I might be doing the cut and crimp method!

On the other hand, does anybody have a recommendation on how to remove rust from bolts, nuts, and washers?
AggieBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
woodchuck1
1983 CJ7 

There is nothing painless about installing a "painless" brand wiring harness. but it does seem to be a good product. Gives you lots of extra space for accessories.
woodchuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
RjTack
1985 CJ7 

On the other hand, does anybody have a recommendation on how to remove rust from bolts, nuts, and washers?[/QUOTE]

PB Blaster, or if you can, heat it with your torch.
RjTack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have always used a rotary wire brush on a drill. I chuck the bolts, nuts and washers in my bench vice and clean away. Once done, I push the bolts through a piece of cardboard and spray them with paint... everything except the threads. The threads, I hit with "anti-sieze" and they are good to go. I do this for bolts that I can't replace for any reason... but generally I replace them with better grade bolts.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
FamousJerry
1985 CJ7 

That cant be the stock rollbar for an 84? looks like a different than factory rollbar. Looks to be bolted to the top of the wheel well and not the floor and rear wheel well like on mine. Looks like a great foundation for a rebuild .
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #29
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SASjeepster View Post
I have always used a rotary wire brush on a drill. I chuck the bolts, nuts and washers in my bench vice and clean away. Once done, I push the bolts through a piece of cardboard and spray them with paint... everything except the threads. The threads, I hit with "anti-sieze" and they are good to go. I do this for bolts that I can't replace for any reason... but generally I replace them with better grade bolts.

Take care,
This is exactly right. Wire-wheel them with a drill or a bench grinder. But there's nothing special about your nuts and bolts. They are easily available so don't be concerned about tossing some/all of them. I like the deal you get a Tractor Supply for nuts/bolts. They sell them by the pound.

Don'y forget the anti-seize...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #30
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

You got a good start on things! When you try to pull the transmission make sure you support the engine under the oil pan first. In fact, whenever the cross member is removed you should try and support the engine or transmission to prevent it from dropping like you experienced. Not a big deal since you are in tear down mode but for future maintenance you'll want to support them to prevent the valve cover from hitting the firewall, and/or fan from hitting the rad.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.