1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ Slow Novice Rebuild...Here goes nothing!

Howdy! I finally got my Jeep to my new place and in position to start working on it. Here are a few pics!

Going to clean the workspace off today and start tearing it down. Since I am fairly new to restoring vehicles, it's probably going to be a VERY slow process, but I have time. Since it's not covered right now, I have some tarps that I will use to keep water off. Hopefully, I'll be building a carport soon!

Here is what I want to do with it (in order):

1)Replace the transmission. Got a T5 in it right now that appears to have finally given out. This includes the clutch. Need to look at it, although I think the clutch is in still good shape.

2)Replace the brake system. I think I am going to do a complete overhaul of the brake
system (which should be lots of fun!).

3)Real axle and differential housing needs to be cleaned. Maybe even replaced.

4)Shocks and leaf spring replacement for front and back.

5)Exhaust system overhaul. Most of the exhaust appears to be in rough shape. I'll inspect the gas tank and replace that if needed, as well. Pretty basic fix.

5)Intense engine cleaning and basic repairs. Engine seems to be in fairly good shape. Will replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc. to see if that clears up most of the issues. If not, I will break it down and do a rebuild on it (God, I hope not). I need to clean up and paint the engine compartment. Either way the hood and fenders are coming off.

6)Redo the electrical system and dash board.

7)Replace the tub. (Although I'll probably take the tub off to make it easier to work on. One body mount is jacked up, but it appears that it's only the mount that's bent and not the frame. I will probably try and bend it back, or just cut it off and weld on a new one. Which should be interesting because I've never welded before (got a buddy who's good at it though, so I'll have some supervision). I'll get a pic of that tonight.

8)Interior

Since I am 100% new at this (I've worked on cars on a limited basis before, including a lengthy battle with a 2003 Silverado Oil Pump replacement), I will take any and all suggestions. I thought about stripping it down and starting from the ground up, but I don't know if I'm ready for all of that. Seems like I have plenty to keep me busy right now! Anyways, here goes nothing but a lot of time, money, cuss words, TX country songs, and brews! And at the very least, I'll end up with some cool new tools (engine hoist, etc).

I have the factory manual so I'm ready to get started. Please wish me a lot of luck! I'm going to need it!

Also, if y'all hear of a YJ or CJ tub in decent shape for sale or swap, please let me know!

AggieBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Line 6..... Get ready for an adventure!!!!

Good luck and post pics of everything!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

First of all, welcome and good luck. You will love/hate this project, but in the end you will look back with pride.

Are you sure its an 84? I've never seen a rollbar like that on an 84.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

It's an '84 with an after market rollback bar, at least that's what the title says! I'll probably end up going back to an original, if I can find one!

On a sidenote, can someone give me a recommendation for a decent air compressor and sandblasting rig? I'm not looking to spend too much on one, but I've never done any sandblasting before so I'm not sure what a good unit would be? Any recs?
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

Good luck......giddyup
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Welcome AB... It looks like you have a great platform to start with. Regarding air compressors, I bought the 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld from Lowe's. It has done fine for all my work. IF I had the money however, I would go one bigger. Reagrding sandblasters... I have the $100 HF blaster (a Christmas present). I have learned to use it, and it seems satisfactory, although the deadman doesn't seal when not blasting.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Aggie,

Welcome to the forum. You have a lengthy and ambitious project ahead of you, but it will be very rewarding in the end.

You've already done exactly what I like to do, and that's break the whole job into smaller, more manageable tasks. Focus on, and complete each task, before moving on. Also, a clean and organized work space is always more productive.

Keep us updated on your progress, and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you can't find the answers about your CJ, here, it probably doesn't exist.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome, Aggie! Got my popcorn out ready for the show!

One thing is for sure, you won't be a novice in the end!

How bad is the tub? I know the diamond plate is probably covering something up, but from the pictures it looks a whole lot better than some on the board that have been salvaged!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Welcome! Tis the season for rebuilding Jeep$. Looks like you're getting more traffic on your build than me and you haven't even started yet! I think Matt's advice is best. Do one small taks at a time until its all done. On air compressors be sure to get as big as you can afford. A good 2 stage 80 gallon should keep up with air tools good. Go too small and you have to wait for it to catch up all the time. Harbor freight and tractor supply both sell decent sandblast era for the hobbiest at decent prices

Good luck and stay focused in the build!

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
matthewmorton
1981 CJ7 

Again, Welcome! I presume from your location and your title that you either are or are going to be an Aggie! I'm Class of 2006 and have a Jeep project that is somewhat similar to yours. In other words, I've got lots to do. Hope you enjoy this new venture and learn how special Jeeps can be in the long run.
matthewmorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Cool beans, another restoration to watch!

Just remember that if you ever feel overwhelmed, it is probably because you're looking at too big a piece of the project. Keep it broken down, one piece at a time, and you'll do fine.

Cheers and good luck
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Matthew, I'm class of '08!

As for sandblasting, I think I'm going to use a pressure washer with a sandblasting kit attached. I have an A/C (20 gal, 1.5 HP) that's been decent for me, but I don't think it's powerful enough to be that effective for sandblasting. And I really don't want to spend the money on a HUGE A/C that I'm really only going to use for one project! Maybe eventually! But I have time to worry about that later. Also, it would free up some funds for other necessities (such as engine hoist, specialty tools, etc!) Any thoughts on this?

Today, I'm going to start stripping down the exterior, if I can get off work early enough! I really want to get the tub off, as I definitely want to look at the frame more closely. One of the body mounts is jacked up, and I need to see if it jacked with the frame alignment. It's going to be a major PITA to get the tub off though because of that mount. Luckily I'm pretty sure I have a cutting torch that still works somewhere. Does anyone know of a good way to bend out that mount? Or is it pretty much toast and needs to be cut off?

Like I said, if it's wood, I can build it. Metal is a different animal to me right now though so bear with me!

Unread 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
How bad is the tub? I know the diamond plate is probably covering something up, but from the pictures it looks a whole lot better than some on the board that have been salvaged!
It's in pretty rough shape. I would LOVE to salvage it (be cheaper and it's made stronger than anything I would replace it with). But it might be beyond my skills to tackle. I'm going to worry about the tub last though!
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
AggieBoxer
1984 CJ7 

I spent about an hour yesterday cleaning out the interior to prepare to remove the tub. After further inspection, the tub is in DECENT shape, but it's going to need to be sandblasted and patched in certain places. You'll see in some pics what I'm going to have to deal with! Here are some pics with captions!

Rollbar mount. Very easy to remove...

Without the rollbar.

Removed the seats...

Yikes! Got my work cut out for me in the electrical department!

What I will be tackling next!

Hooray! Reinforcements and help arrived!

What it looks like after yesterday! (Progress report!)

So far so good, with the easiest steps out of the way! I probably won't get a chance to work on this bad boy until tomorrow evening or Saturday however. I'll continue to update as work is done!
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That must be an early '84 since it says "Jeep" on the sides and not "Joop"

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.