1984 CJ-7 Steering Box Assembly is dead and need a new one - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ-7 Steering Box Assembly is dead and need a new one

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #61
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
ok, i'm sold. so its a box from a 2002 H1? Hoping for new rather than reman...

thanks
I am pretty sure it is. No issues with the instal. I think I got a reman. It was like 180 bucks I think. I have been happy with mine, but I have heard that the J20 was a good swap too. I really don't know how the H1 compares to it. I like how BIG the H1 is versus the old one. Its huge

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #62
jeepster4245
jeepster4245
1982 CJ5 

Its huge...Thats what she said.
jeepster4245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #63
cavie98
1978 CJ5 

[QUOTE]If you are not dead set on a Hummer box. A J10 box is a nice upgrade. Bigger piston, variable rate, easily turn 35" tires with one finger.

Is this box a direct bolt on? How much modification has to be done and are there anyother things needed for this to work. I have a '78 CJ5.

Thanks for the info.
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #64
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
I agree with VACJ7. Something is just not right. I will go take a photo of mine at lunch and post it since my front end is in pieces and a good photo should be a easy.

*Oops. Just saw that you changed the brace order in the second photo. The MORE kit should have had a spacer to even out the level between the sandwiched parts.

You can see the spacer and correct setup in the photo.

Good to know you are liking the new box. These are the kind of things I love finding out about on Cj forums.
I forgot to update. The problem has been fixed.

The spacer is now on like it should be
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #65
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRay14 View Post
Look at pmcmotorsports.com website. I just sent mine to them and had it rebuilt for $150.00. Turn around time was about 1 week. I think the owner used to be with AGR. Great guys to deal with and did a great job.
What I heard was the owner of AGR sold out. He then claimed his old company was cutting corners, so he started PSC as soon as his non-compete clause was up. Which is what I would say if I went back into the same biz. I went w/an AGR, on sale @ Q-tec, and the long rod style brace. I called AGR and had them chrome plate the box and paid them for the up-charge directly. Then I sent out the rod brace and dropped pitman arm to Chrome Pros in Tx. The chrome should increase my top end and improve mpg's! I'm not finished building, so I can't provide feedback, but my buddy insisted that I buy this box. He LOVES his AGR. I'm using a new, stock pump. I hope it flows or has enough pressure as the AGR pump. I already had the new stock pump, and didn't want to waste money on their pump at 4x the cost. If it's an issue I'll swap it out as it should be easy enough.
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #66
cavie98
1978 CJ5 

So, I've read this thread and I'm trying to sort out some stuff. I may have missed it, but I'm trying to figure out if a J10 steering box will work on a stock '78 CJ5?

I know it will "work" as far as steering the jeep, but what will I have to change to make it work? I can get a remanned '74 box for $130.

Will the stock power steering pump, hoses and fittings work? Or do I need to find/get something else?

I just had a new power steering pump put on so I don't want to have to do that again.

Thanks for the help and info.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #67
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbox View Post
That Hummer box seems to be $199 at the parts stores, only 50 more than the reman stock box and about $300 less than a new PSC box. Not a bad deal. My box is in the same state as the OP, if someone can confirm they work, I might pick one of these up today. Also, can anyone confirm that the H1 boxes are variable? It looks as though they are.

Do stores generally frown on returning a different core though? At O'Reilly's that's only a $25 core though.
If you buy the unit, pay the core charge, then take the core back and get your money refunded, how do they know what you're returning? Unless they're both sitting there, side-by-side, they don't.
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #68
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Can someone with a fitting H1 box post the A1 p/n? I am seeing 277595. I am concerned because Napa says the ports on their are a different size.

I tried rebuilding mine and it was a terrible failure so I need a new one now.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #69
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

I just did the H1 swap last week. Bought one online from autozone. Got 20% off, and free shipping, so after I got the core charge back, it ended up being about $160. Mine is a '77, so I had to buy new hoses, for an 85 model. The pressure hose is easy to find, but nobody stocks the return hose fitting... Had to order it from BJ's Offroad $10. Other than that, no problems so far...
kjcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #70
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

277595 appears to be the right unit, it fits but I must have gotten a bad one it does the same thing as the one I rebuilt - funky clunk clunk noises and notchy feel in the steering with poor/slow assist.

I will have to look it over carefully tomorrow to make sure I am not missing something. I am really getting tired of changing this thing. This has been the worst repair job ever by FAR.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #71
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250
277595 appears to be the right unit, it fits but I must have gotten a bad one it does the same thing as the one I rebuilt - funky clunk clunk noises and notchy feel in the steering with poor/slow assist.

I will have to look it over carefully tomorrow to make sure I am not missing something. I am really getting tired of changing this thing. This has been the worst repair job ever by FAR.
Are you sure you don't have a bad bearing in the column?
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #72
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8ya View Post
Are you sure you don't have a bad bearing in the column?
Agreed. I don't think you have bad box. Did you check the bearings and steering shaft as well?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #73
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Agreed. I don't think you have bad box. Did you check the bearings and steering shaft as well?
I am checking it close tonight but I do not think so. It steered BEAUTIFULLY before, I just did this because the input shaft was leaking like a pig.

Also, the new one is not just clunking the assist is poor and it feels crappy.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #74
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I played with it some more and I think I resolved the noise issue but the assist is still poor. I am fairly certain all of the air is out I think the valve must be sticking. It is often difficult when changing direction.

Tags
cj7 , steering , steering box

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.