1984 CJ-7 Steering Box Assembly is dead and need a new one - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 CJ-7 Steering Box Assembly is dead and need a new one

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ-7 Steering Box Assembly is dead and need a new one

I need a new one. The one on my jeep is leaking from everywhere and the gears inside of it are shot. It also is flexing, from the inside, pretty good with any steering input. This is making it pretty dead on center, like 2-3 inches of dead play before steering happens. Not good.

So, I called Quadratec and the guy I spoke to said that this would be my best option:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_54.htm

From the website:

" Are your oversized tires and locking differentials making it difficult to steer? These custom designed Power Steering Boxes are built with larger pistons to provide more brute turning power than originals. The Super Box 1 is set at 3 + turns ratio left to right, a + turn faster than stock CJ's giving more feel to the steering wheel and better control on any terrain. The Super Box 2 has variable turning ratios, 3 1/8 turns left to right, almost 1 full turn faster than stock CJ's. Custom firm sport valving is designed to give more stability at highway speeds & less oversteer off road. This means faster turning at slower speeds around trees and rocks or backing into a parking spaces then slower turning on fast, straight highways. Keeps oversized tires under control & gives more stable feel on the highway. All AGR Power Steering Components are Carefully Remanufactured using new internal parts. "

This is a power steering unit, which is what I want to stick with as the Jeep originally had power steering.

Are any of you guys running these? It is kind of a lot of money, but it is cheaper than the OEM style replacement, which is 500 bucks:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_02.htm

So, what are my options? Is that superbox a good choice? Basically, I was not really expecting my steering box to **** the bed right now and money is not really there to fix ANOTHER jeep issue. Any help or recommendations would be good.

I was thinking of just finding a decent one used, but I just have a fear of buying something and then having the same issue shortly after the install . . .

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

They are expensive! Sorry
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

I got a reman from autozone for about 90 bucks, its been in for about 6 months and I have had no leaks or problems with it. The steering is very easy and sensitive, I have also replaced all TRE's and the steering arm, which probably will help you the most.
hopefulcj76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
StevieRay14

1985 CJ7 

Look at pmcmotorsports.com website. I just sent mine to them and had it rebuilt for $150.00. Turn around time was about 1 week. I think the owner used to be with AGR. Great guys to deal with and did a great job.
StevieRay14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
StevieRay14

1985 CJ7 

Sorry, should be pscmotorsports.com not pmc
StevieRay14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
FamousJerry
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just picked up a PSC myself once i get it in i can let you know how it is. I have a tread going on asking about the quality of the box and so far not one complaint.
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Theres talk on here about an H1 Hummer box being a direct swap. Uses stock Bell coupler, stock bracket , stock lines, and staock pitman arm. Gives you a bigger piston then stock.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousJerry
I just picked up a PSC myself once i get it in i can let you know how it is. I have a tread going on asking about the quality of the box and so far not one complaint.
Do you have a link for your thread and to the company? That doesn't sound too bad.
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Jawbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Theres talk on here about an H1 Hummer box being a direct swap. Uses stock Bell coupler, stock bracket , stock lines, and staock pitman arm. Gives you a bigger piston then stock.
That Hummer box seems to be $199 at the parts stores, only 50 more than the reman stock box and about $300 less than a new PSC box. Not a bad deal. My box is in the same state as the OP, if someone can confirm they work, I might pick one of these up today. Also, can anyone confirm that the H1 boxes are variable? It looks as though they are.

Do stores generally frown on returning a different core though? At O'Reilly's that's only a $25 core though.
Jawbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

I am also interested in that H1 steering box if it can be installed easily. I do not want to have to alter anything to make it work. I am just looking for an easy swap. If it really is an easy install, than I am interested, especially if the price is good. Thanks.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

This is a P/S gear for a 2002 Hummer H1. It is a reman by Cardone. Everything bolts up identical to the CJ unit (at least for my 84). Lines, input shaft, pitman. I just bolted it on last week. I can't comment on performance as I am still just a rolling chassis. Everything I have read says it is a variable rate 13/16:1
imag0472.jpg   imag0470.jpg  
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

^How much did that cost? Looks nice. Are they heavier duty compared to the stock CJ7 versions? I would imagine they would be. What is different than the CJ one that would need to be changed for install, or does it really bolt up that easy? That would be incredible. Nothing on my Jeep goes on easy, even Jeep parts that say they are for my Jeep . . . . . .
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

It was just under 200.00. I did not have to change anything. Everything bolted to it fine as well as mounting with OEM bracket to frame. Dimensionally it is exactly the same. If I put it side by side with my old one you would not be able to tell the difference.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Jawbox

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Jawbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Would you say it is heavier duty than the CJ steering box? Just curious because it's going in a lifted jeep and it probably makes sense to replace my shot one with something that will work better for the larger tires. Thanks.

Tags
cj7 , steering , steering box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.