1984 Carter BBD feedback type having problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 Carter BBD feedback type having problem

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

1984 Carter BBD feedback type having problem

Need a direction to go in.. Bringing to life a 1984 CJ7 that has not been run in years... Did get a fuel flow from the tank to the carb (had to replace the fuel pump) and it will run for a moment when I put gas into the carb but it will stay running. I am working by myself so I tried a few different thing, one being putting a screwdriver in the carb throat to keep the lower butterfly open as it was staying shut or mostly shut. Anyhow, when I did that it roared to life and was running like a scared buffalo and I had to pull the screwdriver out. It died.

Needless to say, what is not right on this? Gummed up float/jets or dried out everything from sitting too long? New carb in order OR rebuild OR try to clean out something?

I see new Carter feedback carbs on Ebay for $180, maybe that would be easiest?

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Marshal
1985 CJ7 

My vote is rebuild the one that's on it. Takes a couple of hours, one rebuild kit (25 bucks) and a can of carburetor dip (also 25 or 30 bucks). Oh, and a tooth brush you don't mind soiling so you can scrub the gunk off it. Might also need a little patience. The adjustments can be a pain once it's all back together.
Marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
thewolff
1986 CJ7 

I second that. Not that difficult to rebuild. While you have it apart I would drill out the idle tubes with a tip cleaner drill bit. .032". Sounds crazy but the stock I. D. Of the idle tubes are too small and allow any small piece of anything to clog them up. Really runs like crap when that happens. There are a lot of good threads on this site about that. It's not as intimidating as it sounds. Also if your Carter BBD has an "idle up solenoid" you can wire this to a switch in the cab. Works great when you are on a hill and wish you had 3 feet. By the way the rebuild kit usually comes with pretty good step by step instructions.

Good luck.
thewolff is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.