1984 alternator question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1984 alternator question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

1984 alternator question

noticed today that the volt gauge was running at the top end of the green line. about 16 volts

turned on lights and it fell back to 12=14 volts.

the jeep had just been started and had not been started in about 1 week, so it could have been in a charging cycle.

should i have a worry or just drive it for awhile and keep my eye on the volt meter???

thanks,

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That can indicate a low battery just getting it's charge back up, but I find that when the gauge gets swingy, It is usually time to clean the ends of the battery cables. Don't forget the main cables have two ends eh, the other end is the one that bites you usually for a bad connection.

I also find if I polish up my fan belt the gauge can get swingy and kill the battery slowly. To test for that I take a cold off engine and see if I can hand slip the alternator pulley. If I can, it for sure won't hold under load and either needs tightening or replacing. A loose one usually makes noise, a polished one just slips. I killed 3+ belts a season when I used to mud run. Mud=liquid sandpaper.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Thanks,
will check battery ends (both ends)
and check belt tension, may need a new belt as it has been on there for a good while.

Thanks again for the tips,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
That can indicate a low battery just getting it's charge back up, but I find that when the gauge gets swingy, It is usually time to clean the ends of the battery cables. Don't forget the main cables have two ends eh, the other end is the one that bites you usually for a bad connection.

I also find if I polish up my fan belt the gauge can get swingy and kill the battery slowly. To test for that I take a cold off engine and see if I can hand slip the alternator pulley. If I can, it for sure won't hold under load and either needs tightening or replacing. A loose one usually makes noise, a polished one just slips. I killed 3+ belts a season when I used to mud run. Mud=liquid sandpaper.
U ever make the alternator water wheel gizmo?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.