1983 Jeep CJ7 - Family Heirloom - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 Jeep CJ7 - Family Heirloom

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

1983 Jeep CJ7 - Family Heirloom

Here's a link of the backstory behind this Jeep. It was my father's. He died in 1991, the Jeep was sold, I found it and bought it back.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/go...p-cj7-1431976/

Now it's time to get it running again, enjoying the old memories & making some new ones. When I went to look at it, it would not start. We figured it was either the battery, solenoid or the starter. I started with the battery. I took it to O'Reilly Auto Parts for a test. It was reading 8 volts and would not charge... dead. Already spending money on it haha. Just Empty Every Pocket.

I bought a new battery, brought it home & installed it. Took a few tries, but she fired up. I got so excited haha. Felt like a caveman making fire, and all I had done was replace the battery. Can't imagine the accomplishment you guys doing full rebuilds must feel. Kudos.

On to the next problem. It will not idle. The PO (feels so good to finally be able to call him that haha) told me that the carburetor needed to be rebuilt and that it would quit anytime you idled. I bought a rebuild kit form O'Reilly Auto Parts $16 plus tax. I've been reading an Instructable online about how to get it running without a full rebuild and without having to remove and fully disassemble the carb. I'm going to try this first, before i dive right into a full rebuild. I'm super nervous about doing that, but I think I can handle this Instructable.

Here's the link to the Instructable:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...eep-cj-7-or-w/

Here's some pictures of the engine before I replaced the battery, and before I've worked on the carb.

This is my first time owning a Jeep, and I have done a little bit of engine work on my F150. Can anyone tell me any details about my engine by looking at it? All I know right now is that I have a 258 4.2L Straight 6, & I'm pretty sure the carburetor is a Carter BBD double barrel. Not really sure about what else I've got going on in there, or what's been removed or added.

Also, any thoughts on the Instructable?

Here is my plan for this Jeep:

Phase 1: Get the engine running, change all the fluids, replace the shocks (the front driver's side shock can be shaken by grabbing & moving it side to side... not sure why, but I know it's not good & Chris said I'll need to replace it), figure out how to attach the hard top that came with it (has no hardware & hasn't been used by the PO), & get it registered & insured. This should get me driving it... can't wait for that!!!

Phase 2: Do any affordable upgrades that will improve the reliability of the Jeep. I plan to drive it often. Not my DD, but frequently. I'm not sure what all these upgrades would include, but I've been trying to read around on the forum to get ideas. One thing the PO mentioned was that the ball joints will need to be replaced and that he could see the front driver's side tire shimmying when braking. What do you guys think would be the simplest, cheapest things to do that would accomplish this?

Phase 3: Begin working on the body. I have no idea how to do this, but my friend Chris is a body shop guy so I'm sure he can help there. I want to get rid of every single bit of rust on the body. I want this Jeep to last for as long as possible. When we looked closely at some of the bad spots, we noticed that the Jeep has been painted white twice over an original color of either dark green or black. We could also faintly see the letter N on the side of the hood. It doesn't have a tachometer, so I'm pretty sure that makes this a Renegade, right? When talking to my cousin (he was very close with my dad), he said dad is the one that painted it white when he bought it used in 1985 and that the next owner painted it white again. That's the way that I always remember seeing the Jeep... white. Therefore, I plan to keep it white in color and not restore it to its original color or markings.

Thanks for the help this far, and I'm looking forward to continuing to share this experience with y'all.

Matt B (not to be confused with Matt from Matt1981CJ7 haha)

matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Hey Matt,

It has been great watching your other thread. I am looking forward to what you are going to do with this Jeep. If I were you I'd pick up a couple of books, the a rebuilders guide, Haynes and chiton manual. I have found them a huge asset in my work this far.
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
papa355
1977 CJ7 

I thought of this video when I think of your story, watch it, some pics of jeeps, and a couple treats good luck with your jeep btw.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the tips Greg & thanks for the video papa!
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Oily
1985 CJ7 

I also watched as you tried to reclaim your Dad's Jeep. Congrats .
Eh, many here do not like the stock carb, the MC2100 is a decent upgrade.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Oily!

I've looked into the MC2100 a little bit, but I am low on funds now that I've acquired the Jeep. For now, I'm going to try to clean out the Carter. If that's not enough, I'm going to rebuild it.

If that's not enough, then I'm going to check all my lines. I saw someone else's thread say something about your vacuum lines could cause idle problems if that carb is fine.

The PO said the carb needs to be rebuilt, so I'm assuming that working on it should remedy the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement shocks for the front? Needs to be inexpensive. Can I just refurb these? I have no idea if that's possible or not.

Here are some pics of the one that I have now which is loose:

Unread 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I had really bad idle issues. I replace all my hoses and it fixed. it. Hose is really cheap. As for the shocks check Rockauto.com. They have some Monroe's and Grabiels. They are about $10 - $15 each. They are not the best for off road but great for budget.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

How in the world would I know which shocks to get? I'm really new to this? The Jeep has a SOA lift.

The current shock is a Rugged Trail P0092 51008 (last numbers may be 51088 or 51068... couldn't see it very well).

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Thats a good question. Those are stock. You could measure the ones you a have a start with that. It may cost a few more $$$'s. If you get rid of th SOA and put on a lift it will make it easier, since you know size lift you have.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Any other input on my question about the shocks?
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
papa355
1977 CJ7 

take the shocks off, then flex the jeep fully both directions. need to mearsure how much it travels both ways. With the SOA, stock shocks may not be long enough. At least that's what I've learned from this site I have to do the same with mine, I did a SOA on mine, but haven't got any shocks yet. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will help you out soon.

Unread 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

I know this is a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by "flex the jeep fully both directions"? I'm very new at all this, but learning as I go.
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
papa355
1977 CJ7 

not a stupid question. by both directions I mean, fully compressed and fully extended travel of your suspension. Since it is SOA now, it probably needs a longer shock. How long? IDK

You just need to figure out your fully compressed measurement, and fully extended measurement on all four corners. So you don't get a shock that is too short or one that is too long. You understand? maybe someone will help me out here, lol. I know what I am trying to say, is probably sounding like a stupid answer.

I'm going to take mine outside the garage, we have a steep bank and ditch I can make it travel up and down on. Then take some measurements where the shocks mount. Probably need some help doing this btw. I don't think just jacking it up in the garage will be a true measurement, I may be wrong tho. You could drive one corner at a time up a trailer ramp, or something similar also, I suppose. I am no suspension expert, just trying to repeat things I have learned on here, without goofin' it up.

or you could just call some place like Old Man Emu, or any suspension manufacturer. Tell them what you have and what you want, they can help you out.

Unread 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

That's makes sense. Thanks for the help!
Unread 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Trying to figure out what kind of transmission and driveshaft I have. I've taken some pictures (not the best). I'm not even sure what all I'm looking at under there.

I'll post the pictures and see if anyone can tell me what I'm looking at.

I've also got this leak

Coming from this...

I feel like such a moron most of the time on here, since I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm learning though, and I've really enjoyed working on the few things I've learned about so far.

I got the hard top on, though it doesn't fit quite right on one side (close enough though). I can barely fit to drive when the hard doors are on though. I'm 6'5" 280lb.

I got the backseat in. I was pretty stoked about this. I thought I was going to have to buy brackets, but I found them under the front passenger seat. Funny enough, the backseat also fit without having to remove the speaker box in the back. I've decided to keep it in there since it all fits. It sounds pretty good too.

I'm still having issues with my carb. I'm probably going to have to just take it off and do a thorough cleaning and full rebuild. I'm just not sure I'm going to pull that off well. I've had such a hard time even figuring out how to make adjustments to it (idle mixture settings and idle screw settings). I never really know if what I'm doing is helping or hurting. I've been trying to read the info on the forum about it and doing other google and youtube searches.

Upon further inspection of the shocks, I've realized that they may still be ok, but the bushing needs to be replaced on a couple of them. I'm going to start there and see what difference it makes.

Matt B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.