1983 Jeep CJ Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 Jeep CJ Laredo

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
COS

1983 Jeep CJ Laredo

I am looking to buy a 1983 Jeep CJ Laredo. The CJ looks to be in great shape. I test drove it this past Friday and loved it. No rust that I could see. Here is the information the seller gave me about the car.

"As promised, I'll attempt to highlight a few of the high points on the vehicle. I have a stack of receipts, so it there is anything further that you would like information on, please let me know. I'll see what I can dig up. Also attached is a CarFax report that I ran prior to buying the Jeep and a few pictures that show the soft top on the Jeep. I bought the Jeep in July, 2007. The previous owner did most of the restoration work which included a rebuilt engine w/ fuel injection, body work and paint job. As you saw, the Jeep is rust free, however, is not "show" quality. There are a few things that I should disclose. All of the gauges do work, however, I have little faith in the gas gauge. I fill up when the gauge shows 1/2 a tank left. Plan on about 200-250 miles per tank of fuel. The valve cover gasket is leaking. I will try to get to that when I return next month. If there still appears to be oil leaking, it is either the rear main seal or the rebuilt transmission. I do not suspect that the real main seal is leaking as I inspected that when the transmission was removed. There is AC in the Jeep, however, the compressor is leaking. In order to repair the AC correctly, it needs to have a R-22 to R-410a conversion done due to the freon regulations. The blower on the AC still works. The T-5 transmission was rebuilt with a new bearing and synchronization kit on 8/12/2010. The gears are original, however, show little wear. The transmission has a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty. This was not a fly by night rebuild as it cost over $1000. The transfer case is a Dana 300 and is the industry standard for Jeeps. The engine was swapped out in May, 2004 by Precision Engine Rebuilders here in Houston. The engine in the Jeep is a 258 AMC inline 6 cylinder. A Howell Fuel Injection kit was added to replace the carburetter in April, 2006. This was a $1200 add-on, however, makes all the difference in starting the Jeep. A Davis Unified Ignition was added as well. A BestTop Tiger Top in Nutmeg was purchased in 2001 and is in good condition. The top does show some wear, however, does not leak in a rain storm. The plastic glass is clear, however, there are some scratched on side windows where the top rubs the plastic glass. The jeeps was lifted with a 4" ProComp lift kit. It has a Dana 30 Front End and an AMC 20 Rear End. The read end has a 4:10 gear ratio. From what I know, the body was in rough shape prior to the body work. The windshield frame was replaced along with new floor pans and kick panels. I added the original Laredo decals purchased from Austin Jeeps, however, I am very disappointed in the installation. They were done completely wrong, however, can easily be removed with a hair dryer. The Pathfinder ATR 33-1250R-15 tires were purchased new in 2001 from Discount tires. At that time, there was 161,000 miles on the Jeep. Currently, there is 172,577 miles on the Jeep. The tires have a 55,000 mile warranty. I do not how long the warranty is good for, however, from my experience, Discount Tire is pretty good at honoring their warranty."

My questions are:
What other question could I ask the seller?
What is a fair price for the CJ?
Is there anything I should watch out for the next time I check out the Jeep?
Could I use this Jeep daily? (8 miles one way, 8 miles back)
Any other advise whould be great.

COS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS View Post
My questions are:
What other question could I ask the seller?
What is a fair price for the CJ?
Is there anything I should watch out for the next time I check out the Jeep?
Could I use this Jeep daily? (8 miles one way, 8 miles back)
Any other advise whould be great.
1. are you sure it's a true Laredo, or did they just add (poorly) the stickers? when he says the tub was 'bad' prior to paint, how bad? how was it repaired? hows the interior? is it complete? the rearend has 4.10's- does the frontend too??? what does he mean when he says the original gears show a little wear???
2. $1500-$7500 (seriously). tell us what are they asking, and where are the pic's.
3. frame damage, rust, panel aligment, etc?

post up pics, the more the better, to help us help you. any other opinions on price are baseless without more info/pics.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

As long as it's sound. He'll yeah you can drive it back and forth. I dd mine on 35's. No issues. Granted if you are used to a car..... Lol then the dd might not be for you (I'm 35 and have dd'd a cj since I was 18). Yeah they have quirks. But nothing common sense can't overcome.

I agree post up some pics. I paid about 8K for mine. But it was exactly waht I was looking for and at the time no rust (not so much now. Thanks USAF. for the great locations. But hate the rust)
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
"..I will try to get to that when I return next month."
That's a big red flag. I would be cautious. I have been in contact with 2 people selling CJs in the past who claimed to be in the military and overseas and they both turned out to be scammers. I don't know if this seller is claiming the same thing, but by all means don't send them any money without at least seeing the Jeep in person and checking it out carefully.
Unread 10-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
That's a big red flag. I would be cautious. I have been in contact with 2 people selling CJs in the past who claimed to be in the military and overseas and they both turned out to be scammers. I don't know if this seller is claiming the same thing, but by all means don't send them any money without at least seeing the Jeep in person and checking it out carefully.
Said he just test drove it Friday

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Okay, my mistake! Didn't read carefully.
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
COS

Thanks to JoonHoss, 84jeepjohn, ken4444, and 79jeepincj7 for the replies. I did ask the seller if the Jeep was a true Laredo and he said it was. I do have the carfax report so I will check it out to see if it says anything. I will also ask the owner if the front also has a 4.10's. The Jeep is here in town however the seller works everyother month out of town. He will not be back in town for another 3 weeks so the deal will be made then. The only number that has been mention is $8,000. I really like the Jeep but I will hate to get taken advantage of and pay more then it is worth. Lately all I seem to be doing is going to different websites and looking at all the cool things I can do to the jeep, like maybe change the front seats or change out the carpet or even change out all the dash components. So neatless to say, I am very excited about buying this jeep. I'm new to this jeepforum.com thing so I havent fingured out how to post some pictures. I will be happy to email the pictures of the Laredo if it will help you guys tell me what is a fair price to pay. My email is llamaalargentino@yahoo.com
Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm new to this jeepforum.com thing so I havent fingured out how to post some pictures....Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!
go here:

www.photobucket.com

and set up a free account (very simple)

then just copy and past the "IMG" link to your pics!

Hoss

Unread 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
COS

Thanks JoonHoss,
I hope I did this right. I basically created an album on photobucket. I then copied and paste the link to insert picture. If this worked then;
Here is Picture 1
[IMG][/IMG]
Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I like it, of course strictly from a looks perspective.
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
MoC
1986 CJ7 

The stickers do not look right to me. Look at how in your picture the front fender trim terminates in to the tub trim. Also there is a break in the tub sticker where it transitions to the front fender. Here is a picture a picture to compair. Sweet looking jeep either way.
1980-1984-laredo.jpg   dsc01122.jpg  
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
COS

It worked!!!!!! Yea, the seller said that the lines were done really bad. If I buy this sweet ride I will fix them. thanks!!
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

if it runs buy it... you can fix everything else. Man that is good looking.
hagan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

and the unanswered question... What's the asking price???

Hoss

Unread 10-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
and the unanswered question... What's the asking price???

Hoss
Quote:
The only number that has been mention is $8,000.

To much IMO.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.