1983 CJ7 starting issues?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 CJ7 starting issues??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK

Unread 08-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
ctjheiner
1954 CJ5 

1983 CJ7 starting issues??

Hey guys, I just picked up this 83 cj7 in a trade last week. I haven't had a ton of time to look at it, but it's driving me bonkers. I was trying everything I could think of before I posted a question on here as that's all I feel like I ever do here because I am finding out I know absolutely nothing (wife has been telling me that for years, don't tell her I admitted to it )

So, picked this thing up, guy said it hadn't run for 2 years, who really knows, right? He was trying to get this old jeep out of his way. So, I thought, clean up the fuel system, crank it over and enjoy. Not so much. It seems like it fires on one cylinder and the rest are dragging. Fires once, so I let off the starter and nothing else happens. If I hold on the starter it just keeps firing that one time in rhythm, same feel, same sound over and over and over and over. Even when I pour gas down the carb, same result.

So far I have changed: fuel pump and filter, distributer cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and coil. I know I have been throwing parts at it, but they are all fairly inexpensive and after two years it wouldn't hurt.

I have reversed all my plug wires 180 degrees, definitely not the issue. I pulled all the plugs out, laid them against the block one at a time and turned it over and I'm getting spark, some seem stronger than others, but that was before I changed the cap and the coil, haven't tried that again yet. Also not 100% sure I had them laying in a clean grounded spot. I plan on checking compression but I need a second set of hands for that so hopefully in the next 2 days I can get a buddy to come help me with that.

What am I missing? Is there an obvious problem I am overlooking? Anybody had anything similar happen to them? I appreciate any help at all, I have learned quite a bit on this forum in the last week doing searches of possible issues and have tried to weed through them. Thanks for your help in advance.

1983 CJ7 258 I6 T5 5 speed tranny, mostly stock

img_1684.jpg   img_1682.jpg   img_1683.jpg   img_1685.jpg  
Unread 08-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
ctjheiner
1954 CJ5 

Sorry, I am not sure why this loaded sideways, I deleted them twice and reloaded them, they are straight on my computer.
Unread Yesterday, 02:38 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This link should help you.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/en...94/#post158742

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #4
ctjheiner
1954 CJ5 

Thanks Matt! That was a really nice thread for troubleshooting. I ran through the basics, got to the coil and tested my voltage at the coil, that's where my problem lies. So I've got nothing at the coil when I put my multi-meter positive on the + side of the coil and negative on the - side of the battery. A little more info on the mickey mouse jeep I picked up. The ignition switch had either given up the ghost or they lost the key. The guy said they just plug in the little controller under the dash and then there is a push button on the floor to the side of the drivers seat to engage the starter. So, I think it's supposed to be in run when the computer is plugged in, then you push the button. I don't get any activity from the dash at all when I plug the computer in, but I can push the button and it cranks. So maybe I'm not in run? I ordered a new ignition switch for it, needed done either way even if the thing started. But is there a way that I can do some more diagnosing before it gets here? Are there two wires that I can cross to put it in run?

The other question I have, is that I had taken each spark plug out separately and individually checked each one laying on the block as my buddy cranked the motor. One plug had decent spark, the rest had faint spark and they didn't fire as often as I would have thought. So is it possible for the Jeep to not be in run but as you push the little starter button to engage the starter that it sends a little voltage to the coil to get some activity? I plan to check voltage at the coil as some one cranks the motor but I don't have any help for a couple days to verify that (btw, is that safe to check that as we crank the motor? am I going to shock myself?). Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again Matt for your reply, at least I'm headed in a direction!!
Unread Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #5
ctjheiner
1954 CJ5 

So this shows how much I know, actually pretty embarrasing. The "controller" or "computer" I mentioned is the ignition switch, which is what he said they were plugging in and unplugging. Pictured below. Wow, I really thought I knew a little bit about this stuff.

image-611722419.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.