1983 CJ7 Rebuild - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 CJ7 Rebuild

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #106
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Sometimes it depends on the type of mount you have, as well as the body size of the shock. It takes some tweaking to find the right spot. Have someone inside turning the wheels on your command. Attach all the hardware but don't tighten it down. Watch for where it hits at. You may have to angle the shock slightly downward on the tie rod end so it misses the bulge of the cover. Do you have any pics that may help us see your setup? There are different mounts, axle tube or spring post (stock).

Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #107
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the setup. I read some articles online on how to set it up, but if i disconnect the steering stabilizer and swing it out of the way I get another 1/4 to 1/2 more turn.

Mojave heater (christmas present) is in! Finally have heat
Crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #108
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Pics of the heater. The om617 actually has an auxiliary coolant pump that circulates coolant through the heater, so I pulled that off the body and installed that. Calibrated the temp gauge with some resistors and an IR thermometer. Have 2500 miles on it so far and no problems to date.
image-2600210553.jpg   image-839715518.jpg   image-249654693.jpg   image-4189742634.jpg   image-3740636805.jpg  

Unread 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #109
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Turns out diesel gells at -8*F around here. Died 3 times and the last I couldn't restart. Got towed to school, sat in the sun and warmed up to around 3*F and it restarted. The anti gelling agent went in seconds later

What a day. I ended up getting a little frostbite on one of my fingers. But all better now.
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #110
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Playin in sugar snow! I kept seeing these black lines in between my tracks and couldn't figure out what it was... until I looked back as I floored it and watched the coal roll
image-3314900464.jpg   image-4102339934.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #111
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Jeep is off the road for college, it'll be a few years until it gets worked on again. Goal tire size is 35's on the stock amc20 and lp d30. I'll use those until something gives. Front end will be fiberglass, going with the correct lift springs up front to level it correctly (ditch the huge shackles.) OBA and a hydraulic winch are on the list, along with a snorkel and light bar. I had a jeep bud give me a junk hardtop that'll become a hard halftop, after I add to the current sportbar and get race buckets/5 pts. Lockers are on the list too.

Engine will stay stock, although I'l going to have the crank balanced, new rings, and do a timing chain while I'm in there.

Got 22-25MPG all the way up till I parked it (indoors.) LOVE the swap. Running doorless and topless, you could hear the turbo spool really audibly, and it really turned some heads.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #112
NCjeepJoe

1: Nice rig and write up, very impressive for any age. 2: I've got a 77 CJ5 I'm trying to swap the 258 for the OM617 next year, so I'd love a "how to" write up. 3: Try to get some jeeping in! It's be a shame to let that beast sit for years!
NCjeepJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #113
beersensations

Hey what did you do for the ignition? I want to bypass to make mine a keyless ignition but was wondering your route for shutdown since it is through the vacuum lines.

Cheers!
beersensations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #114
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Sorry for the delay! I currently just pull vacuum on the shut off line. In the future I'm building a tractor style pull handle to pull vacuum on it and shut it off.

I'll be tearing the jeep apart for upgrades soon (suspension and gearing), and can do a "how to swap" if interested.

I'm looking for the following if anyone has these, PLEASE let me know! Ask everyone you know! I need to get back on the road

4" lift springs (or 4.5") front and rear
drop pitman arm
double cardan driveshaft
dana 30 lunchbox locker
carrier install kits for amc 20 and dana 30
tube fenders

Located in Charlevoix Mi, can paypal money

I also got a gopro (Hero 1 HD) and a suction cup mount so way better videos are in the future!

-Grant
Unread 04-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #115
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Found springs, and pitman arm. Still looking for other parts!
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #116
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

4" lift springs are in, looks like my front driveshafts is maxed out :/ not interested in doing a t case drop. Are there any stock driveshafts off another rig that are a few inches longer than a stock cj shaft? I'll probably do a xj shady (shortened) in the rear

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.