1983 CJ7 Rebuild - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 CJ7 Rebuild

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 11-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #76
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

3.73's were a stock ratio in the CJ's right?

I could get them cheap used if so.

Crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #77
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid
3.73's were a stock ratio in the CJ's right?

I could get them cheap used if so.
3.54 and 2.73 were stock.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #78
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Dangit

Well I may go with 4.10's since I'm going to wheel it and potentially run bigger tires. By the time I buy one piece axles, new gears and carriers, would it be cheaper to go to an 8.8?
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #79
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
3.54 and 2.73 were stock.
Actually, it depends on the year and engine as to what was stock for that year.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #80
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1981cj7
crawler,

if you're building an economical dd, that will be more than capable off-road. I think the 3.73s will suit you better. 4.10s will wind pretty tight at highway speeds with a 4-speed.

On the other hand, if want a crawler, that will pop a wheelie off the line, but will be howling at 65 mph, then go with the 4.10s.

Matt
x2

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/just-another-83-cj7-build-thread-1325757/[/url]

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift
Confer Engineering Shackles
32x11.50x15 BFG All Terrains

[QUOTE]whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on - saskcj7[/QUOTE]
inovermyhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #81
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

The more I'm reading suggests 3.73's as well.

I'll go with those. I want to get good mpg. Did 3.73's come in any CJ's or wranglers that I could buy the pinion ring and carrier as a stock take out part?
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #82
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid
The more I'm reading suggests 3.73's as well.

I'll go with those. I want to get good mpg. Did 3.73's come in any CJ's or wranglers that I could buy the pinion ring and carrier as a stock take out part?
Wranglers won't work. No Cj's that I'm aware of. The ring and pinions are not expensive, it's the installation if you are not qualified or don't own the proper tools. You will also need a different carrier for your AMC 20 going from 2.73's

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/just-another-83-cj7-build-thread-1325757/[/url]

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift

[QUOTE]whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on - saskcj7[/QUOTE]
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #83
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inovermyhead2 View Post
Wranglers won't work. No Cj's that I'm aware of. The ring and pinions are not expensive, it's the installation if you are not qualified or don't own the proper tools. You will also need a different carrier for your AMC 20 going from 2.73's
The D30 carrier from any wrangler/cherokee/comanche etc. will fit just fine in a CJ D30 case....the gears however will not if they're from a HPD30 (which I think only came in the YJ, XJ & MJ....TJ's and ZJ's would work) . Disclaimer, the previous gear info is from the interweb so who knows how accurate it is.

And yes, CJ's came with 3.73's but they seem to be more common in the NT equipped Jeeps with an auto tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid View Post
........ I want to get good mpg........
MPG in a CJ?.........

Sorry, I couldnt resist
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #84
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=jeepwhore;14467193]The D30 carrier from any wrangler/cherokee/comanche etc. will fit just fine in a CJ D30 case....the gears however will not if they're from a HPD30 (which I think only came in the YJ, XJ & MJ....TJ's and ZJ's would work) . Disclaimer, the previous gear info is from the interweb so who knows how accurate it is.

And yes, CJ's came with 3.73's but they seem to be more common in the NT equipped Jeeps with an auto tranny.

I thought I was pretty specific about referencing changing the carrier for the AMC 20 NOT the D30. The 20 obviously was never available in a Wrangler. And as far as the gearset for the D30 is concerned, you just confirmed they will not work from a Wrangler. So that being said, safe to say, Wrangler is not a candidate for a donor. And BTW, there are a lot of cj diesel swaps running around getting 25-27 mpg if they are set up correctly.

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #85
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Good as in good for a jeep haha. I'm shooting for 18-20mpg

Good to know. I'm on a budget, so I was seeing if anything came stock with those #'s

Thanks!

Tomorrow I'll be making some caster shims for the front axle!
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #86
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid View Post
Good as in good for a jeep haha. I'm shooting for 18-20mpg

Good to know. I'm on a budget, so I was seeing if anything came stock with those #'s

Thanks!

Tomorrow I'll be making some caster shims for the front axle!
If I were you and I am assuming you have another vehicle you can use. Forget about the caster shims. Park that CJ until you can put some proper springs in it. Those shackles are DANGEROUS. They can and will bend sideways and potentially roll you over! I know it's exciting that you have it running and driving now, but it's time to use your head for safety. You have proven you are very intelligent just by the fact that you pulled off this swap at such a young age. Now it's time to switch gears and think about Safety. Save up for a 2 1/2" lift. Rough country gets a bad rap because of it's harsh ride but with the weight of the diesel, I don't think it will be an issue. They are fairly inexpensive lifts. I have a Rancho 2 1/2" lift and with the weight of my SBC, it rides awesome. Slightly more money, but I highly recommend it.

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #87
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inovermyhead2 View Post
I thought I was pretty specific about referencing changing the carrier for the AMC 20 NOT the D30. The 20 obviously was never available in a Wrangler. And as far as the gearset for the D30 is concerned, you just confirmed they will not work from a Wrangler. So that being said, safe to say, Wrangler is not a candidate for a donor. And BTW, there are a lot of cj diesel swaps running around getting 25-27 mpg if they are set up correctly.
Not sure what your point is here. As you bring up, the M20 didn't come in a wrangler so I didn't mention it....but if the rear gets changed so does the front (unless he was staying between 2.73 & 3.55). 3.73 and higher numerically requires a new carrier. I was just commenting on your response to answering the OP's questions about possible parts donors. A wrangler may not be a gear set candidate but if on a budget, the carrier from a YJ/XJ/MJ/ZJ will work in a CJ D30.

As for the MPG comment, it was tongue in cheek......I figured all the smilies were kind of a give away.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #88
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Not sure what your point is here. As you bring up, the M20 didn't come in a wrangler so I didn't mention it....but if the rear gets changed so does the front (unless he was staying between 2.73 & 3.55). 3.73 and higher numerically requires a new carrier. I was just commenting on your response to answering the OP's questions about possible parts donors. A wrangler may not be a gear set candidate but if on a budget, the carrier from a YJ/XJ/MJ/ZJ will work in a CJ D30.

As for the MPG comment, it was tongue in cheek......I figured all the smilies were kind of a give away.
Gotcha

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift

Unread 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #89
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

No I knew what ya meant no problems there

Unfortunately the Cj is the only means of transportation for me at the moment, so I'll have to keep it on the road. I'll ask a few of my buddies if they know of someone with some springs so I'm not trying to bandaid it to death with shims and huge shackles. Trust me, it's a handful to drive! I'm able to live with the ratios for now, I'm slipping the clutch more than usual, but this spring it's getting a new one anyways.

More to come!
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #90
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

I may have missed it, but what was the need for the walrus tusk shackles? Was it just to level the jeep? If so, I'd sacrifice aesthetics for safety and put stock shackle on the front. It'll look ridiculous but you know you won't end up on your lid.

If it was for tire clearance, well, not much you can do then.....

Hutch1200 has some 2.5" springs......free.......he's in PA but maybe you can figure something out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.