1983 CJ7 Big Block Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 CJ7 Big Block Build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Bayside54
1983 CJ7 

1983 CJ7 Big Block Build

My first Jeep was a 1972 CJ6 with the 304 V8. I happened upon this honey of a 1983 CJ7 while driving down the road .... saw it at 9am .. owner at noon.

Then I learned that Toy Box Jeeps and Wilsons 4x4 are both located within 20 min of my new home.

I can't wait to trick this baby up just the way I want it.

My current plan is:

ZZ572 turnkey crate engine
SM465 Trans
Dana 300 xfer case
Dana 60 rear - custom

cj7-1983-bayside54.jpg

Last edited by Bayside54; 06-13-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Bayside54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

looks very nice. So.... are you building a drag-jeep? Why the D60 rear and not do anything with the front? are you going to keep the front D30?

Sounds cool and not knocking your thought process, just wondering what your end goal will be.
Unread 06-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside54 View Post
I can't wait to trick this baby up just the way I want it.
What's wrong with it now
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Bayside54
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterN55 View Post
looks very nice. So.... are you building a drag-jeep? Why the D60 rear and not do anything with the front? are you going to keep the front D30?

Sounds cool and not knocking your thought process, just wondering what your end goal will be.
Everything has changed at this point.

The ZZ572 was delivered today to ToyBox Jeeps. Since my ideas for the engine build got out of hand, I picked the engine up today and took it down to Hart Beat Racing Engines in Mt Dora, FL :-D

So .. yes .. it's going to be a bit of a drag jeep, show car, light off roader. I'm not going to **** it up if I can help it.

The current build is:

ZZ572 Crate Motor
B&M Turbo 400 w Bracket shifter
Whipple W200R 3.3L Supercharger - Polished - w Intercooler
C&S Specialties 930cfm carburator
Brodix Heads w 1.90 exhaust valves
Oliver Rods
SC Custom Pistons 8.5:1
Cam (correct for supercharger application)
Shiny alternator, water pump, timing cover, pulleys, power steering pump..
Target Horsepower = 950
Engine will be dyno'd and tuned on the stand at Hart Beat Racing.

This will be a frame off build up ... frame will be strengthened significantly.

new 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering

Drive Train:

Dana 60 Rear
Dana 44 Front
Atlas Xfer case (got these 3 pieces for a deal with only 2,300 miles)

Will get an extra set of wheels with some nice low profile street tires ... seeing a full roll cage and multi point harness in my future as well.

I couldn't be happier with the two vendors involved. Pete at Toybox Jeeps is excellent as is Dave at Heart Beat. These guys work hard.
zz572.jpg

Last edited by Bayside54; 07-13-2014 at 01:59 AM..
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

You lost me at low profile street tires.

Don't kill yourself with it.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Sounds interesting, hope you you keep up on the build thread, nice to see people with disposable income, dropping serious coin on something so senseless. The only thing I see in that pic is a beautiful Jeep, and a house that is in serious need of some vinyl siding and soffit n fascia, Just my opinion. No disrespect intended. Probably not your house anyway.
To each there own. Now if I had that kinda coin to drop and wanted to go fast (which I really do) on dirt and/or pavement... Trophy Truck/ Unlimited Sprint Car. Trophy Truck .... a little bigger budget
But, as RenoF250, You lost me at Low Street Profile Tires
Just forgot to ask? You bought a complete GM zz572 crate engine, and now your having it tore down, replacing rods, pistons, cam and heads with above mentioned goodies? I bet the guys at those shops treat you really good. Hell your in it this far, might as well spring for some shiny twin turbos to go with that whipple charger.
Be seeing you on Street Outlaws! or in the Ditch
You have to be a single man, or your wife is loaded. Seriously just kidding man, you do what you like and be Happy, Happy, Happy. I will say it, I am Jealous.

Last edited by yahwhy; 07-11-2014 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: forgot to ask?
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Lost me at "low profile tired" too. Other than that sounds awesome.

Since you're building a low rider, can i buy your (looks like) 33's?

I can trade you some neon underbody lighting! Ha! Dont kill me. Just messin with you.

Might want to add a drag-parachute to that thing!
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Bayside54
1983 CJ7 

Low profile street tires:-) That is drag car mode only .. an extra set of wheels and tires for that purpose.

The Jeep CJ7 as it sits is roughly the look I am going for. To me, it's a work of art. It gets more attention than a Ferrari. People literally walk in front of the wonderful blue Jeep as it sits and say "that Jeep is f***ing perfect AND I want one". It's cool as heck and I get it ... I'm the same way.

35" Mudders on 15" wheels is what I like but I will not be dragging a 1/4 mile with my 35" Mudders. When I take her to the track, I'll put on the street wheels and tires or maybe even slicks and see how she does.

Bet she does a 10.5 1/4 mile @ roughly 145 mph. I have been around and do not intend to die in my Jeep. Owned a couple of pretty serious sports cars, 2500 hr private pilot over 17 yrs. Some unforgiving stuff. Not dead yet .. I can drive a powerful car. Most powerful car I have owned was a 650hp 993 TT Porsche and ... she got a little boring. May never use or need 950hp in a CJ but .. how about a 4 wheel drive burnout ... she might do it!! I would like that. Or, how about a launch and up come both front wheels .. would like that too. I want to feel the incredible torque at 3500 RPM. We'll see. If she feels squirley, I won't be game but my guess is she'll be fine .. just fine. Had a couple of friends wreck their muscle cars, mostly alcohol related. Don't like out of control.

Compared to boats and airplanes, this is VERY good value for the incredible nature of the project. Not outrageous at all. Talk to somebody with a big sportfish yacht $85k might buy a ****ty paint job. ... So, comparatively speaking, this is pretty good value. In addition to being fun to drive, she'll be a show car. The engine will be very shiny .. block will be that Gator orange as well as the engine bay. Stereo will be sick of course.

Had I envisioned the supercharger from the beginning, I would have probably gone with a block up build 540 or something and saved some dough but the engine was already on it's way and I didn't want to slow anything down. 9.1 Liters is fun just saying it.

I'd imagine she will scat something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wMK4-ybeNA

This is probably as much fun as the Jeep but she won't stay put:-)

Boy oh boy .. I'm excited about this. The work started today at Toy Box Jeeps!! Photos to come as the project continues.

Here's another photo of that oh so handsome 1983 CJ7. She will be sporting a 2.5" hood scoop to accommodate the Whipple according to current calculations.
1983-cj7-c.jpg  

Last edited by Bayside54; 07-30-2014 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: too big photo
Unread 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

I feel like we're being trolled... No given specs on that beautiful '7, no info on price paid, shooting for the moon on goals (nothing wrong with go-big-or-go-home...), and a random girl pic with no info?
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Bayside what wheels are those?
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Bayside54
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post
I feel like we're being trolled... No given specs on that beautiful '7, no info on price paid, shooting for the moon on goals (nothing wrong with go-big-or-go-home...), and a random girl pic with no info?
Come on baby.

The CJ7 was done by Toy Box Jeeps 9 years ago for Mitch Hastings in the Daytona area. He sold it to a teacher at Daytona State ... I bought it from John Hall Chevy for $14,000 without driving it. It was absolutely gorgeous. Did the deal 3 hours after seeing it. She had a 258 4.2 and drove like ****. All over the road (bushings bad at the leaf's and bad steering box) .. huge rattle at the transmission as the dampener was worn out. Had those things somewhat repaired and drove her for a month while planning with ToyBox.

I am a 30 yr businessman with a budget. Own 2 sizable boats and an airplane.

When I was 16, I made a business of rebuilding VW's and selling them for a profit.

I then turned my attention to Porsche's and owned a few.

Then airplanes ... current ride is a C90A King Air. A hot section (mid time overhaul of one of the PT6A21 engines (at 1700 hrs) is $80,000. So, you get the picture. Yes, I can go big with the Jeep ... and it's comparatively cheap cheap cheap.

My current boat is a '84 Bertram 54 Sportfish that I purchased in 2009 and walked through a full restoration. Also have a '81 Bertram 28 I'm finishing up. I have a thing about restoring nice classic stuff.

Ain't no random girl. Trouble yes, random no. As much fun as the Jeep.

The wheels were popular back in the day ... are the American Racing? I don't know. Anyway .. they put new caps and lugs and they look nice. Not sure what I'll use for the drag wheels/tires.

I have always been a fan of Big Block Chevy's and superchargers. This stuff is left over from when I was 16 yrs old and dreaming without a budget. My buddy crashed his '70 Chevell SS396 into a tree and I grabbed that 402 and had the recipe from Randall Engineering at the time to put that monster in my CJ6. Never happened:-( No budget.

This build is for real and not over the top. Dave at Hart Beat Racing ordered $8,000 worth of parts for the engine build, Shiney Whipple W200R is $8,000, ZZ572 approx $12,000, C&S 930 cfm carb is $1300, the Dana 60, Dana 40, Atlas Xfer case and B&M T400 w Bracket Shifter all came out of a customer jeep after 2300 hrs ... Pete passing the savings to me. The bill from Toy Box will be in the neighborhood of $40k.

What's that equal. Cheap compared to boats and airplanes but exciting as all get out. Off the hook.

I think she will be complete for around $90k total?

Last edited by Bayside54; 07-12-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I've worked on a few 90s that and a Beech 1900.....been a while. Props belong on boats!!!!!!
80k sounds steep on a PT-6, but it has been a while since I was around the small stuff. Haven't used my A&P for a while.
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Bayside54
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby533 View Post
I've worked on a few 90s that and a Beech 1900.....been a while. Props belong on boats!!!!!!
80k sounds steep on a PT-6, but it has been a while since I was around the small stuff. Haven't used my A&P for a while.
Price it ... I figure $165 / hr just for overhaul cost of the engines .. every hour she flys. Fuel burn is 75/hr @ $5.00.

But she is safe and flies like a fun smaller airplane .. load her up and go.

Here is the 1985 King Air C90A .. one owner cream puff airplane .. 4400 hrs .. 1150 on the engines .. reconditioned in 2003.
n7230h-av.jpg  
n7230h-hangar.jpg

Last edited by Bayside54; 07-12-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Unread 07-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Nice Aircraft!!!! Even better hanger!!! Keep the pics coming! What avionics package?
Unread 07-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Bayside54
1983 CJ7 

I added the avionics photo to the previous post. I have learned not to go nuts on the aircraft avionics .. I don't need too much.

Its a King KFC250 autopilot/flight director .. nice radar in the nose displays on the EX600 MFD, TCAS (Ryan). Garmin G530 WAAS GPS. I have a Garmin G796 mounted on a nice Angerole mount with Nexrad Radar on that and back it up with a Stratus II that works with Foreflight Mobile Pro on the iPad.

Most interesting recent flight was a midnight arrival at Key West with "that random woman", where only the nose gear and the right main gear came down ... I went through the emergency gear extension procedures and no joy ... gear would not come up either .. so we diverted to Miami International and declared an emergency .. strapped the girl in one of the back seats and discussed how to open the air stair door .. she was calm .. and grabbed the handle of the Crown Royal for further assurance .. the fire trucks lined the runway (I have done this before) .. then I decided to turn off the main and recycle the power .. cockpit and avionics went black .. powered up .. this time, I got 3 green .. I called off the emergency. We landed Miami International, looked the airplane over and took off for Key West with the gear down and locked. Finished the trip uneventfully with the gear down. She comes out of annual in a week and they are about to investigate what's up with the gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.