1983 CJ5 wont run right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1983 CJ5 wont run right

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-21-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Bigbore

1983 CJ5 wont run right

I have a CJ-5 1983 258 inline 6. This thing will not run worth a dime. Thinking of taking Carb. off and swiching with a 1979 model carb.. Take the 100 yards of vac. lines off and junking all vac. components that are there. Is this a good idea. I have spent way to much money on this motor. The jeep runs good when it wants to but floods out all the time. I have put 411 gears, 1 piece ax., detroit locker in rear. just need motor to run.

Bigbore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
johny1i

Does it have the 2-bbl Carter with built-in stepper motor? I know my brother's '85 CJ7 with the 258 has the same setup as my '90 (the above mentioned Carter and the electronic emission controls) and we did the nutter bypass on it to clean up everything that you mentioned. Just do a search on here for "nutter bypass" in the CJ and YJ forums and you'll find a whole bunch of info. If you have to keep emission equipment for your area, the carb may simply need a rebuild (about $12 for the do-it-yourselfer) and although it won't get rid of all the vacuum lines, it may run much better. One important thing, based on the age of your jeep, the stock carter carb may be worn out--they leak air around the throttle shaft with time. I got 130k miles out of mine with one rebuild at 80k miles, for reference. (personally, i'd replace it with a weber, as evident in my sig, if necessary--much less temperamental).
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2002, 12:08 AM   #3
tigjeep04

I would look into a weber carb. My father got one for his 85 and he hasn't had a problem since. It was a few bucks but it sure is worth the money!
tigjeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.