1982 cj5 ecm control module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1982 cj5 ecm control module

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
rtaff

1982 cj5 ecm control module

Under the hood on driver side fender well there is a square box, I guess a control module. A lot of wires going to it, maybe 20. Sent box off to be rebuilt or replaced. They said box couldnt be rebuilt and they dont have any. Number on box is 3240802, was told numbers changed to EM 10898. Looked and called every where, cant find a replacement. Jeep is 6 cylinder, 4 speed. What would the best thing to do? Robert

rtaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do you have emission testing?
If not, then I would remove it. Your engine should run with that disconnected.

If I recall properly, the ignition was not controlled by the fender mounted ECM. It just controlled the mixture. So "No Nutter Needed"

Look like this ? :
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
rtaff

yes, that is it. I thought maybe the wire going to the carb. worked from this box. No emission testing.
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes but CJ's ran a long time without the electronic emission control.

How about some pictures of your carb wires and box.
Unread 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
rtaff

John, tried to add pics. but it wouldnt let me. Back of carb. there are maybe 4 or 5 wires that go into a plastic connector. The connector then plugs into back of carb. It has a factory 2 bbl carb. on it. I dont know if these wires has any thing to do with the module or not. The module looks just like the one in the pic. you posted. Thanks for the help. Robert
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes the wires go directly to this module, it finely tunes the fuel mixture.

Unless you live in a Emission state, you probably don't need it.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
rtaff

Thanks John
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
rtaff

Jeep will run without this box but not good. Do I need to replace the carb. since it has this stepper motor on it. If I replaced the carb. would it do away with some of the vacum hoses? Every thing now is stock. 6cyl. 2bbl. carb. and stock distributor. Has any body else ever had this problem with this module that is mounted on driver side fender well? If you did, what did you do? The jeep is a 1982 cj 5. Thanks for the help
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Bigjonh
1982 CJ7 

I have a 82 cj7 with the same looking Module mounted on the fender. I'm not sure if it's working, but my jeep runs fine, and recently past the smog testing here in Calif. I tried to locate a new or used ECM when I was restoring my jeep because the ECM was missing the cover.
I couldn't locate either and then just fabricated my own cover and cleaned it up. I left mine on just so it could pass the visual part of the smog test.

I was just wondering how do you know it's not working.
Bigjonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
rtaff

Jeep went dead a couple of times going down road. After it cooled off a few minutes it would run fine. I noticed the black rubber coating on the box looked like it had been getting hot and melting and dripping on the fender well below the box. I sent the box to a place in Jacksonville Fl. to be rebuilt. They checked the box and said it couldnt be rebuilt. Now they are trying to find another one and not having much luck.
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Bigjonh
1982 CJ7 

My module looked the same way, before I cleaned it up. My jeep runs fine whether it's connected or not. Like I said I am not sure if it's working or not. I do not think the module would cause it to stall. I believe the 82 is the only year with the fender mounted module, apparently quite rare as you found out.
Bigjonh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It could be the position of the stepper motor was in the wrong position when the box was removed.
I think the procedure was to start the engine up let it warm up and when you see the mixture needle move unplug the stepper motor.
This puts the mixture needles close to the correct location. See the nutter bypass for more information on setting the stepper motor.

If you want to get with a different carb, I'd do a little research. A new carter carb can cost as much as a Weber. But a Carter would be a direct replacement. A Weber is a better Carb. Ant then there is a MC2100 to think about.

Also maybe you can rebuild what you have. That's what I did and it runs great...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.