1982 CJ-7 Sunburst - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1982 CJ-7 Sunburst

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #61
seabass1858
1983 CJ7 

no ribs on mine

seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #62
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The ribs are included on the Crown windshield to stiffen up the frame. The aftermarket frames will flex a bit from the windshield wiper motor when its running.
The Crown frame is the best aftermarket frame out there and believe me I did some research on it before I installed one on my Jeep.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #63
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

As far as I know, all windshield frames from 1981-86 had the single rib just above the weather stripping. It served two purposes, to give it strength and provided a drip edge to help keep water from being pushed into the weather stripping while driving. Aftermarket windshield frames from Crown have the two ribs that are like the YJ versions from the factory.

MD Juan Company, who make the Repli-tub, also make a windshield frame but I was never able to locate one from a dealer. It seems they are only available when you purchase an entire Repli-tub assembly that includes the windshield frame, front fenders and hood, along with the tub. I gave Rommel from MD Juan my windshield frame so they could improve their product for our Jeep CJ's.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #64
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Keith, my 82 doesn't have the lower rib. I'm wondering if it was what was referred to as a "running change" made at some point by Jeep due to their sourcing frames from a different supplier. The image I posted earlier was from a 1984 brochure I found on the net and it doesn't seem to evidence the lower rib. (I now can see that on Jeeps with the lower rib the cowl weatherstripping is too low to hide it.)

You might check back through some old brochures to see if there are any examples. All of my brochures are somewhere in my attic and I'm not ready to make that expedition right now. Ha!
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #65
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The problem with sales brochures is the fact that they use pictures sometimes of jeeps from previous years. I've noticed that a few times with repeated pictures from one year to the next using the same Jeep. For instance, the Jeep CJ-7 Limited that was available in 1982 and 83 is the same picture for both years. The Limited version, with its black painted windshield frame, has no rib on the frame pictured.

I looked at a few brochures and it looks as though some of the Jeeps pictured in the 1983 have the rib and some of them don't. It may be safe to say that during the 1982 production year, the windshield frame was updated to include the single rib.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #66
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Agreed. Jeep was bad for re-using older images.

That said, I always looked forward to receiving the new Jeep brochures at the dealership where I worked each August. We also handled Olds and Chevrolet but it was the Jeep brochures that had the best photos. I don't remember who AMC used for advertising but the photos in the Jeep brochures of the 1980's were almost all taken with large format cameras in unique outdoor locations. Usually the lighting was quite dramatic and everything due to large format was in very sharp focus. Great images!

Boy - those brochures were expensive too! We ordered them in cases of 50 each and we'd go through a case in no time at all ...
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.