Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1982 CJ-7 Sunburst

16K views 74 replies 25 participants last post by  KDub1984CJ7 
#1 ·
By way of introduction in my first post, I'd like to show a photo of my 1982 CJ-7 and tell folks a little about it.

I worked for a Jeep dealer from 1984 until 1996 and bought my Jeep in 1987 from the dealer I worked for. That dealer had sold it new so I became the second owner when the original owner traded it in for a new Cherokee for his wife. (It was her Jeep.)

Jeep offered special packages through the Washington, DC zone office. In 1981 they offered a Superstar model and in 1982 a Sunburst model. These Jeeps were basically Laredo models with special decals and equipment. My Jeep came with the Laredo seats, carpet, roll bar padding, dash overlay, chrome mirrors, chrome grill, chrome front bumper and a chrome Scrambler rear bumper which subsequently rusted away. (I'm not sure but the Scrambler bumper could have been dealer installed at the buyer's request.) These Jeeps had a shooting star/starburst decal on the hood, rocker panel stripes and rear quarter panel lower stripes like the Laredo models but no over the wheel-well stripes or front fender stripes. Also they had a star decal on the glove box door with "CJ" inside it. They had SUPERSTAR lettering on the hood but the ordering dealer could have that deleted as was what my dealer specified. All dealers in the zone were offered the opportunity to order these limited production models. There's nothing really valuable about them I suppose other than their limited production, although my copy of the Special Sales Request and Order form does show Tent. Sched.-Units as 500. (I assume that refers only to 1982 models.)

The hood decal on my Jeep is in bad shape and I'd love to find someone who could reproduce it for me. :wave:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet ride and story! Please post up bunches of pictures of your jeep, it is a GREAT example. Here is a copy of the official sticker lay out from a parts catalog from that time. I have pictures of a Superstar saved but none of a Sunburst.

:wave:

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks!

I want to get my Jeep painted and would like to find a company that could reproduce the starburst/sunburst (I prefer starburst because that's what it is - stars!) decal. I could source the other stripe decals with no problem. I'll try and post a shot of the glove box decal soon.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm going to try and post some document scans regarding my Jeep that some may find of interest.

Since I worked for the dealer in sales I had access to a lot of documents. My dealer was very compulsive regarding keeping documents. As a result I have the original Sales Order that was used to specify how the dealer was requesting the US Eastern Region Zone build the Jeep. Note that my dealer requested the nomenclature "CJ SUPERSTAR" be deleted. Also, there is mention of the LAREDO PKG on the order.

Fortunately the original owner had saved the original window sticker so I was able to obtain that. Since I worked at the dealership I also have a copy of the original dealer invoice. ;)

It's interesting to note that the HARDTOP W/DOORS was only a $775.00 retail option back then. I can't tell you how many times I begged a purchaser who was ordering a new Jeep to order that option. I tried in vain several times to explain to them that even then they could sell the top and doors for more than Jeep was asking and purchase a soft top from Whitco (at that time) for peanuts. Invariably they would come back to the dealership and regret that they had not ordered the hardtop option. So it goes ...

I also have the original Jeep Build Order (used in Toledo on the line to actually build the Jeep) and the original Jeep Production/Shipper Order. You can note from this document that my Jeep was SERIALIZED on 02/03/82.

This may or may not be of interest but I'm sure glad my dealer was so persnickety when it came to documentation.

Let me know what you all think and I'd be curious to know if anyone else has this sort of documentation.

Attachments

#9 ·
Ready for paint!

I took my ride to the body shop yesterday for a re-spray. They're going to repair some minor rust issues and paint including the inside of the tub and steel doors. They're also going to re-spray the underside of the hood and battery tray to deal with some surface rust. In preparation I removed everything I could myself to get it ready and save a little money. It took a while to remove that stuff. Those 31 year-old fasteners don't want to let go. Last time they were off was at the plant in Toledo!

I took the time to do a rubbing on tracing paper of the starburst decal on the hood. I checked with several wrap companies in my area but was disappointed to learn that they wanted around $500 to $600 to try and reproduce the hood decal and there were no guarantees it would come out right. A little more than I want to spend on a decal. At least I have the rubbing and some photos. The factory applied decal was off from side-to-side by 1/4 inch.

Where does everyone source the Jeep letters? I'd also like to source the black applique for the steel doors if available (or a suitable substitute).

MoC wanted more photos so I've attached a few.

Attachments

#12 ·
I am an artist myself. Fine art - not commercial, my work is at SleepyHollowStudio dot com.

I have a 24 inch Epson inkjet printer that I use to reproduce my watercolors but the inkset my printer uses is not designed for exposure to the elements. You really need a solvent-based printer to do vehicle wraps.

I live in western N.C. and there are not a lot of places near me to solicit.:(

I am fairly proficient with Adobe Photoshop as that's the software I use for my watercolor reproductions. I might try to use a vector-based program to re-create the image myself and save it to a file that a printer could just load into a computer and print out for me. I would need to find a printer willing to let me try, a program that would be compatible with the printer's system, and a printer willing to charge for just the printing alone. The image is just a simple graphic with straight lines and stars. Not too complex. I have a nice rubbing on tracing paper so the dimensions are not a problem.

Right now I have so many irons in the fire I'll probably have to wait and tackle this thing later. Boy, I thought when I retired things would slow down a little. Ha!:p

#13 ·
Update on the Starburst Jeep

Thought I'd provide a few photos to show how things are going with the cosmetic restoration of my "Starburst" Jeep.

The first photo shows the shop owner's son Jamie working on repairing the rust on the step bumper. As I said earlier the Jeep originally had a chrome Scrambler bumper but it deteriorated to the point that I had to finally replace it. A fellow came by our Jeep dealership one day and said he had a step bumper he'd sell me for $50 so I took him up on it. (Check out that '57 GMC truck in the bay next to my Jeep!)

The next shot shows the disappearance of the Starburst decal.

I saw on the Forum where some folks had had success with restoring the chrome wagon wheels by using aerosol paint striper so I decided to give it a try. I masked off the spare tire (photo 3) and used a plastic bondo spreader along with an old brush to remove the lacquer.

In photo 4 you can see that it worked great on the spare. I can't wait to get on to the other wheels!

The seat bottom of the driver's seat was in bad shape so I took it to a local upholsterer and had it replaced. He matched the black vinyl perfectly along with the lower carpeted side of the seat. The off-white stripes were a little harder to match. The originals have an embossed thread pattern in them. He used light gray, coarse thread in the repair and I feel it came very close to matching the original.

The body shop has been closed this week for vacations. They'll be back open next week so I'm hoping to see some results soon!

Meanwhile I've been busy sanding, priming, and painting seat bases, mirror brackets, spare tire carrier, jack/mounting plate and other small parts that I had removed from the Jeep.

Jamie said; "New rule - all future customers have to remove everything they can from their vehicles before bringing them to the shop!" (I think I've spoiled him. :p)

Attachments

#15 ·
Phoenix Graphics seems to be who everyone uses for decals. You might check with them and see about reproducing that Sunburst.

Looks great!

What's in the garage next to the Jeep in the 2nd and 3rd pic? Old Z?

Paperwork dad dug out on his Scrambler......

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
I contacted Phoenix Graphix early on and was informed that althought they were aware of the Superstar package they did not have a decal for it and didn't seem to be interested in pursuing it at this time. I plan to create an EPS file on my computer in the future and maybe I can convince them to reconsider.

That's not a "Z" next to the Jeep, it's my 1973 Porsche 911T. The reason the CJ is in good shape is that it has spent a lot of time in the garage next to the P-car. Right now I've got too many vehicles and need to pare them down a little. I'm planning to offer a few for sale soon so things won't be so crowded here at Sleepy Hollow Studio. :D

Hey, that's a copy of the actual dealer invoice. I know as I have the one for my Jeep. Be careful posting it as it has the original key codes on it. I see you did black out some of the VIN so that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Ahh, can see the 911 now. Thought the roof line was a little too much "up" for an early Z, but couldn't place it.

Didn't notice the key codes on there. That said, I pity the fool who comes into the old man's yard. Since he retires he spends a lot of time in the yard with a shotgun blasting squirrels, *****, and dillas. Tends to keep the riff-raff out the area too.:D

#18 ·
Ha! Good for him. The riff-raff needs to be kept at bay!

The problem around here where I live is that most of the kids these days don't hunt (they're too busy with smart phones and iPads) so we're over-run with squirrels, raccoons and ground hogs. I have to take my bird feeders in at night because of the darned raccoons. :mad:

#19 ·
Ha, I remember I took a date to the house to get more beverages (cook out at a friend's). It was about 12 midnight, and we're standing in the driveway talking, and she says "Um, there's somebody right there with a shotgun!". I said "oh, just dad. The dillos root in his sod so he's out here hunting".

and she thought that was weird!

#20 ·
How could that ever be considered weird?

Hey. We're starting to get reports of armadillos here in western NC.

That's all I need in my garden. Not!

The body shop is back in business this week so things should start progressing again on my Jeep. I was able to source a Chevy trouble light on eBay along with under dash courtesy lights and a mercury switched underhood engine bay light. :D

Attachments

#21 ·
I stopped by the body shop this afternoon and found Jamie hard at work on the Superstar Jeep. He has the bumper and most all of the outside of the Jeep ready for paint and was working on the inside of the tub.

He had taped over the door strike plates and I asked him to just take them off before painting. His dad had spent a great deal of time getting the plates adjusted to fit the hard doors but I explained that I routinely remove them in the warmer months to use the soft top and they of course don't work with the soft top doors. He's also going to remove the wire loom for the rear lights and tape the wires up under the body lip before painting. As can be seen in the last photo he masked off the VIN and emissions stickers. It'll be going to the paint booth before too much longer.

His dad had a disappointed look on his face as I was explaining the door strike situation to Jamie. I wish he hadn't spent so long on the adjustment but at least the strikers aren't sticking out too far like they were before. :shhh:

Attachments

#22 ·
Strikers housing should be black anyhow, but I always left mine on the Jeep when running my OEM softop. If you're running a Bestop you can get latches that work with the striker (same as YJ lowers). Taking them on and off seems like it would be a major pain. I do think you did right having them removed for paint though. Paint them black and bolt them in after the tub is finished.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's the plan. I'll just paint the strike housings semi-gloss black. The strikers do work with the OEM full doors but I have soft half doors also and they won't work with the strikers.

I have a factory-type replacement soft top with door skins that is practically new. Also have an old-style bikini top. I'm not sure if I'll be using the roll bar padding again or the saddle bags. They are in good shape so I might go ahead and put them back on after a while without them.

I'm going to replace the old body snaps with stainless steel along with SS for every other screw that I could source replacements for.

My Jeep had the decor package but not the convenience package even though it was practically a Laredo model otherwise. I've been able to source an under hood engine compartment light along with interior courtesy lights that will work with the light switch only (no door switches). I already had a day/night mirror that I had snagged years ago from our Parts Department at the dealership so I suppose now I'll have the convenience package after all.

I'll be painting the hard top satin black myself (wish me luck) and I was able to get the black hard door decals and Jeep letters from Collins Brothers. I use the hard top in winter and remove it with one of those electric winches every Spring that I mounted on my garage wall. I use 1 x 4 boards attached with wing-nutted bolts to keep the top from spreading apart while it hangs from my garage ceiling. I also use heavy chains attached to the extensions on the boards to support it as I don't trust the hanging system that came with the winch lift for storage purposes.

Attachments

#24 ·
Starburst Update

I went by the body shop this morning and thought folks might enjoy seeing some photos of how things are progressing with the cosmetic restoration.

Jamie getting at it this morning with the buffer.

Jamie and Red hard at work. Hope I don't scratch anything when I go to put the seats back in!

Driver's side buffing almost finished.

Still have the front fender and part of the cowl on the passenger's side to buff.

The underside of the hood turned out as nice as the outside. I'll have a lot of detailing to do in the engine compartment. :)

I really like the Oriental Red color!

I should be able to bring it home the first of next week. Then I'll have a LOT of work to do myself but I'm looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#25 ·
That looks boss Craig.

#26 ·
I have not followed all of your work but in looking this morning I saw the paint work being done and not noticed that you have left the fenders and hood on during the paint phase. This brings me to my question - What type of price are you paying for that paint job?

#28 ·
Came from Toledo that way too.

#27 ·
I've known the owner of this shop for over 30 years and have had previous work done by his shop all to my satisfaction. It's a small local shop but they turn out some nice work. (Less than a mile from my house.)

As with everything I have to make decisions regarding what I can and can't live with regarding my budget for this sort of work. The decision to leave the hood on along with the fenders was a matter of saving a little money. I removed most everything from the Jeep myself that I wanted to bother with to try and get as good a job as would meet my requirements and save money. Whatever the shop removed I would have had to pay extra for.

The shop has had my Jeep since July 12th. As I don't require this Jeep for primary transportation I told them to work around it and that there was no hurry (other than the fact that they probably wanted it out of their way as it had no top and needed to be kept inside).

This isn't intended to be a Jeep that will win a concours when it's finished. Simply what I want and will be satisfied with myself. Others I'm sure might have done things differently. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.