1982 CJ-7 Sunburst - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1982 CJ-7 Sunburst

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #46
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Can't believe I missed this one until now!

Great thread, thanks for sharing all the details/pics - what an awesome story!

Great job keeping this one as original as possible. Looking forward to seeing the pics after you get the hood decal(s) made.

Any chances of posting some pics of the '73 911? Is it still wearing the original paint? I like the not so common colors on early P-cars!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

The 911 still has its original paint with just under 62,900 miles on the clock. It's all original except for a set of headers and Koni adjustable shocks. I've owned it for 15 years. It just loves to be kept at around 3,000 rpms. In the first pic you can see the CJ reflected in the door of the 911.
73911rear.jpg

73911interior.jpg

73911engine.jpg

Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the pics, that is a gorgeous car!

I have no idea how you've managed to keep the miles low on it living in western NC though. I've ridden motorcycles out that way (WNC and TN) for years. The roads in that part of the Country seem to have been designed for P-cars!

Earlier in this thread that you mentioned you were planning to thin down your stables. Any plans to part with this 911?

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #49
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Just sold my '06 Corvette coupe last month. The 911 and CJ-7 are keepers.
vette.jpg

Unread 10-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #50
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst
Just sold my '06 Corvette coupe last month. The 911 and CJ-7 are keepers.
Sharp looking '06 Vette, but I agree that your CJ and 911 are keepers!

Are you a member of rennlist or pelican?

I'm on the search for a clean, low miles 911 or 964. They are getting difficult to find. Most of the ones I find for sale have been driven hard (tracked), have high miles and/or have a lot of aftermarket mods done (R Gruppe style).

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #51
83vert
1982 CJ7 

That is one sweet Porsche, I would love to get my hands on one
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #52
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Yeah, removing stuff makes a big difference.
The Jeep looks great, and it's nice to see survivors like that. Does anyone know when they added the rib to the bottom of the windshield frame? I see this Jeep doesn't have it, and I saw an original Oriental Red Scrambler over on CJ-8.com that didn't have the rib either.

Now on to what I quoted above.. While it looks like a pretty good job was done.. I question why the extra time wasn't taken to remove the door handles, lock cylinders, windshield glass, and door weatherstrips instead of just taping over them... Makes for a much better and longer lasting paint job in the end. You'll find that in time, that top layer of new paint will start chipping off around where it's masked, and plus the sight of mask lines around components really bothers me.. I guess maybe I'm just more anal than others?

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Door and tail gate weatherstripping was removed and is new. The cowl weatherstripping was also removed and replaced with new. Painting the doors at all was sort of an after-thought. I don't use the hard top very much and the primary reason I even painted the hard doors was due to a little rust that needed to be repaired at the bottoms of the doors. Additionally, when the Jeep was practically new the original owner dropped one of the doors on concrete damaging it and requiring that it be repainted. The paint never matched. I didn't even want the body shop to paint the inside of the doors but they did anyway.

The primary reason I ever put the hard top back on the Jeep was because I had purchased the Corvette and that wound up taking the place of the Jeep in my garage. (I WANT TO BUILD A CARPORT NEXT ... )

When I first got the Jeep the windshield had been replaced and subsequently leaked. I had our body shop at the Jeep dealership where I worked re-do the windshield seal and I didn't want to go through pulling the windshield and possibly risking another problem with it leaking. Plus this job was done to a certain price and anything additional the shop did of course meant more money out of my pocket. The only masking that was done was around the windshield and the VIN/EPA labels under the driver's door. I can live with that. Oh, and the dash area along with the inside of the windshield didn't get painted.

The work was done to my complete satisfaction. It was never intended to win a concors contest and of course will not. That said, I'll be willing to take it to most cruise nights and not feel embarrassed. So far, people who have seen it in person have been extremely complimentary. One fellow told me he thought it was the best paint job he had ever seen come out of that shop.

I've fooled with cars all of my life. My father was a used car dealer. I worked for almost 20 years for the Jeep dealer I bought this Jeep from. I've seen great cosmetic restorations and lousy ones. You can spend a lot of money and wind up with a perfect paint job but if you're then scared to drive it, what's the point?

I took everything off of the Jeep that I had time for prior to sending it to the shop. As a result, the job turned out well I think.

Hey - it's a Jeep. It's fun to own. Nice CJ's are getting rare where I live. I plan to drive it and enjoy it. It had gotten a little run-down and I just gave it something of a pick-me-up. I'll use it mostly in the Spring, Summer, and Fall with the top down. The hard doors are hanging on the garage wall and that's probably where they'll stay for a while. In the end I was just lucky my Jeep was in pretty good shape to start with.
Unread 10-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Hey BlkCJ7Laredo! I think I might have received a spare tire carrier bumper and plug kit for my Jeep from an order on eBay through you. Is that a possibility?
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #55
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

I'm wondering if the aftermarket frames aren't the one's with the ribs.

The 1982 thru 1984 Jeep catalogs show no rib. Couldn't verify 85 & 86. Those are in my attic somewhere.

The Quadratec catalog shows a frame with ribs for 1976 thru 1986 models.
screen-shot-2013-10-20-6.40.53-pm.png

Unread 10-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #56
wvrefugee
1979 CJ7 

Don't waste your time on those frames. I ordered one from Quadratec and it was so flimsy and light weight I simply went to work on the old one and had a better outcome. You've done a great job thus far, don't put that cheap Chinese crap on it!!
165316_186666964678017_5981678_n.jpg

Unread 10-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #57
wvrefugee
1979 CJ7 

and ended up with this!
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #58
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst

I'm wondering if the aftermarket frames aren't the one's with the ribs.
Al, this has been my understanding/observations too.

Unread 10-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #59
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

No worries.. I just don't like taping stuff off if I don't have to. To be honest, when I did the frame off on my '7 in 1998 I didn't even paint the doors as they do very limited duty since it doesn't see nasty weather anymore. I will be going thru them this time around though, if I can ever get my project back on track.

And those spare tire plugs.. I don't want the folks here to get an idea that I'm advertising but they may have come from me

The windshield frame you pictured above from Crown has two ribs, one running in line with the wiper pivots, which the OEM YJ frames have as well. The later CJ frames, maybe '83 on have the lower rib but not the one in line with the wipers. The earlier ones like yours didn't it seems.

If you look real close at this picture of Keith460's OEM windshield frame that he donated to MD Juan to try and make a quality aftermarket replacement, you can see the rib running along the bottom directly above where the windshield frame to cowl seal lip would end.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #60
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

I just went out to the garage and pulled the cowl weatherstripping back to check to see if my Jeep had the lower rib like Keith's old frame had. It doesn't. I'm wondering though if the newer models had the lower rib and it was hidden by the cowl weatherstripping? Below is a shot from an 84 brochure and it doesn't evidence the lower rib unless it's hidden by the cowl ws.
screen-shot-2013-10-20-6.31.57-pm_2.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.