1982 CJ-7 Sunburst - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1982 CJ-7 Sunburst

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Yeah, removing stuff makes a big difference.

I'll post some photos as soon as I get stuff back on. I've got a lot of work ahead of me at this point. I want to remove the wheels and get them looking like the spare turned out. While they're off I want to do some detailing to the undercarriage and double-check the underside work done at the shop.

This Jeep was originally undercoated with Quakercoat undercoating at the dealership where I worked. It came in 16 gallon cardboard drums and we used it on a lot of the vehicles we sold. That's one reason my Jeep had so little rust. That and keeping it in a garage. I did drive it in snow and NC DOT loves to use road salt here in the NC mountains.

I need to remove some of it in a few areas where it was over-sprayed and then check other areas to see how well it's holding up. That stuff gets brittle over the years.

The undercoating was part of the reason for not removing the fenders for the paint job.

Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #32
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Lucky

Was lucky last evening. Took the Jeep to some friends for supper and decided my girl friend would be the designated driver for the trip home.

We were on a rare straight stretch of highway for these parts when the right-front tire shredded. She was able to maintain control (great lady!) and bring us to a safe stop in a fellows driveway. He was kind enough to help with changing the tire and we made our way home slowly.

The tires have apparently simply dry-rotted due to age and lack of use. I'll be looking at purchasing 5 new tires next week and was wondering what folks might recommend I consider for my 1982 CJ-7 with stock suspension and 5 x 7 stock wagon wheels? The current rubber is P235/75R15 and I was thinking of going a little bigger.

Suggestions?
tire-1.jpg

tire-2.jpg

Unread 09-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #33
jrnewt
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst
Was lucky last evening. Took the Jeep to some friends for supper and decided my girl friend would be the designated driver for the trip home.

We were on a rare straight stretch of highway for these parts when the right-front tire shredded. She was able to maintain control (great lady!) and bring us to a safe stop in a fellows driveway. He was kind enough to help with changing the tire and we made our way home slowly.

The tires have apparently simply dry-rotted due to age and lack of use. I'll be looking at purchasing 5 new tires next week and was wondering what folks might recommend I consider for my 1982 CJ-7 with stock suspension and 5 x 7 stock wagon wheels? The current rubber is P235/75R15 and I was thinking of going a little bigger.

Suggestions?
Just put a set of General Grabber AT2s on my stock 86. Very happy with them. I went with a 30x9.5x15, which I think may be close to the size limit on a stock CJ7, due to rubbing issues. I did some searching and got a good deal on tirebuyer.com. I think they source locally because they were at the shop I choose by the next day. General may still have a rebate promotion going on and the web site has some discount codes floating around the web. All told, once the rebate comes through, it was around $700 for five tires, installed.
jrnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #34
jrnewt
1986 CJ7 

By the way, good driving on your girlfriends part, ad good call on having a DD. Both of those may have saved your lives.
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #35
wm69

I have to say BFG AT's. Nothing looks better on a Jeep with OEM wheels that BFG's. They wear like iron, are relatively quiet on the road, and do well (for an AT) offroad. A 30x9.50x15 is very close to what you're running now. A 31x10.50 can be run on a stock CJ without rubbing provided there isn't a lot of spring sag. I ran 31's on my Jeeps for years with no lift without problems.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #36
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Went with Michelins

I decided to go with Michelin LTX A/T2's. I think they look good and they ride great on the highway which is where this Jeep will be most of the time. I decided to go with the P235/75R15 size which is what I had previously.

Attached are some photos of the Jeep since the completion of the cosmetic restoration.
img_2374.jpg

img_2375.jpg

img_2376.jpg

img_2377.jpg

img_2378.jpg

img_2379.jpg

img_2372.jpg

Unread 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
jrnewt
1986 CJ7 

Looks great.
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #38
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Thanks jrnewt!

I was lucky to have a Jeep that was in pretty good condition to start with. It stayed in my garage most of it's life next to my Porsche 911. In 2008 I bought a Corvette and the Jeep was relegated to sit under some trees at the end of my driveway for about 5 years, neglected and unused. (Photo from May 2013 attached)

I recently traded the Corvette (came to my senses - you know - always wanted one since high school - got one - got it out of my system and as I say - came to my senses) for a truck and now the CJ-7 has returned to its rightful place in the garage next to the Porsche. Sort of helps to elevate the Porsche up to another level just by being parked next to it in the garage. I think the Porsche missed the Jeep to tell the truth. They sort of compliment one another.
l1040508.jpg

Unread 09-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #39
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

That is a beautiful Jeep. You have done an outstanding job bringing her back to life. I especially like the rear bumper. I wish I could find one of those old scrambler bumpers somewhere.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but are you planning to put the original decals back on it?

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #40
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

If you look back earlier in the thread you'll see that I did a rubbing of the starburst pattern on tracing paper that I had taped down on the hood.

I started replicating the pattern on my Mac in a vector drawing program but didn't finish. (too many irons in the fire right now) but I do plan to get it done. Then I'm thinking of contacting Phoenix Graphix or someone to see if they would like a copy of the file for their use and maybe cut me a deal on making a decal for my Jeep.

Like everything else, it's on one of the stove burners simmering away and will hopefully get done soon. In the meanwhile I'm simply enjoying occasionally driving the old Jeep.

I do like the decal that is on the glove box door. It's in great shape and was part of the original package. The dealer who ordered my Jeep had the factory delete the "CJ Superstar" nomenclature from the hood. (that was a dealer's option to do.)
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #41
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
If you look back earlier in the thread you'll see that I did a rubbing of the starburst pattern on tracing paper that I had taped down on the hood.

I started replicating the pattern on my Mac in a vector drawing program but didn't finish. (too many irons in the fire right now) but I do plan to get it done. Then I'm thinking of contacting Phoenix Graphics or someone to see if they would like a copy of the file for their use and maybe cut me a deal on making a decal for my Jeep.

Like everything else, it's on one of the stove burners simmering away and will hopefully get done soon. In the meanwhile I'm simply enjoying occasionally driving the old Jeep.

I do like the decal that is on the glove box door. It's in great shape and was part of the original package. The dealer who ordered my Jeep had the factory delete the "CJ Superstar" nomenclature from the hood. (that was a dealer's option to do.)
Once you havr it done take it to a local vender that does auto wraps and decals. They should be able to make it and apply it.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #42
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

GM Trouble light installed

I completed the install of my GM trouble light last evening.

I have to give credit to fellow Jeep Forum member Keith 460 for the idea to implement this improvement. I'm not sure if Keith originated this idea but his excellent build thread provided the inspiration for me to do it for my Jeep as well.

My install was a little different due to the fact that my Jeep has the heavy duty cooling option/radiator and fan shroud. As the fan shroud projects back from the radiator I installed spacers between the lamp and the area behind the passenger side headlamp in order for the light to be able to be removed easily from its housing.

I agree that this location seems to work best for this lamp.

The first photo shows the spacers best, second photo with the lamp lit, and the third photo shows the fan shroud a little better.
tl1.jpg

tl2.jpg

tl3.jpg

Unread 10-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #43
JakeRod13
1978 CJ7 

Your jeep looks great! I was a resident of Cullowhee for 5 yrs...wish I would have seen your jeep while I was up there
JakeRod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #44
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Thanks!

Hey, you may have well seen my Jeep while you were here. It used to have a starburst decal across the hood and it made a lot of trips across the campus from my studio to the Post Office.

I love Cullowhee - home of Western Carolina University - (even though I did graduate from Appalachian State University)

You couldn't get me out of here with a crow bar!
wcu-bell-tower-night.jpg

Unread 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Boover
1985 CJ7 

Such a nice looking Jeep! Makes me want to find a set of wagon wheels even more...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.