1982 CJ-7 Sunburst - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1982 CJ-7 Sunburst

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

I contacted Phoenix Graphix early on and was informed that althought they were aware of the Superstar package they did not have a decal for it and didn't seem to be interested in pursuing it at this time. I plan to create an EPS file on my computer in the future and maybe I can convince them to reconsider.

That's not a "Z" next to the Jeep, it's my 1973 Porsche 911T. The reason the CJ is in good shape is that it has spent a lot of time in the garage next to the P-car. Right now I've got too many vehicles and need to pare them down a little. I'm planning to offer a few for sale soon so things won't be so crowded here at Sleepy Hollow Studio.

Hey, that's a copy of the actual dealer invoice. I know as I have the one for my Jeep. Be careful posting it as it has the original key codes on it. I see you did black out some of the VIN so that's a good thing.

Last edited by Starburst; 08-14-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
wm69

Ahh, can see the 911 now. Thought the roof line was a little too much "up" for an early Z, but couldn't place it.

Didn't notice the key codes on there. That said, I pity the fool who comes into the old man's yard. Since he retires he spends a lot of time in the yard with a shotgun blasting squirrels, coons, and dillas. Tends to keep the riff-raff out the area too.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Ha! Good for him. The riff-raff needs to be kept at bay!

The problem around here where I live is that most of the kids these days don't hunt (they're too busy with smart phones and iPads) so we're over-run with squirrels, raccoons and ground hogs. I have to take my bird feeders in at night because of the darned raccoons.
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
wm69

Ha, I remember I took a date to the house to get more beverages (cook out at a friend's). It was about 12 midnight, and we're standing in the driveway talking, and she says "Um, there's somebody right there with a shotgun!". I said "oh, just dad. The dillos root in his sod so he's out here hunting".

and she thought that was weird!

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

How could that ever be considered weird?

Hey. We're starting to get reports of armadillos here in western NC.

That's all I need in my garden. Not!

The body shop is back in business this week so things should start progressing again on my Jeep. I was able to source a Chevy trouble light on eBay along with under dash courtesy lights and a mercury switched underhood engine bay light.
img_2041_2.jpg

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

I stopped by the body shop this afternoon and found Jamie hard at work on the Superstar Jeep. He has the bumper and most all of the outside of the Jeep ready for paint and was working on the inside of the tub.

He had taped over the door strike plates and I asked him to just take them off before painting. His dad had spent a great deal of time getting the plates adjusted to fit the hard doors but I explained that I routinely remove them in the warmer months to use the soft top and they of course don't work with the soft top doors. He's also going to remove the wire loom for the rear lights and tape the wires up under the body lip before painting. As can be seen in the last photo he masked off the VIN and emissions stickers. It'll be going to the paint booth before too much longer.

His dad had a disappointed look on his face as I was explaining the door strike situation to Jamie. I wish he hadn't spent so long on the adjustment but at least the strikers aren't sticking out too far like they were before.
img_2044.jpg

img_2045.jpg

img_2049.jpg

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
wm69

Strikers housing should be black anyhow, but I always left mine on the Jeep when running my OEM softop. If you're running a Bestop you can get latches that work with the striker (same as YJ lowers). Taking them on and off seems like it would be a major pain. I do think you did right having them removed for paint though. Paint them black and bolt them in after the tub is finished.

Unread 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Yeah, that's the plan. I'll just paint the strike housings semi-gloss black. The strikers do work with the OEM full doors but I have soft half doors also and they won't work with the strikers.

I have a factory-type replacement soft top with door skins that is practically new. Also have an old-style bikini top. I'm not sure if I'll be using the roll bar padding again or the saddle bags. They are in good shape so I might go ahead and put them back on after a while without them.

I'm going to replace the old body snaps with stainless steel along with SS for every other screw that I could source replacements for.

My Jeep had the decor package but not the convenience package even though it was practically a Laredo model otherwise. I've been able to source an under hood engine compartment light along with interior courtesy lights that will work with the light switch only (no door switches). I already had a day/night mirror that I had snagged years ago from our Parts Department at the dealership so I suppose now I'll have the convenience package after all.

I'll be painting the hard top satin black myself (wish me luck) and I was able to get the black hard door decals and Jeep letters from Collins Brothers. I use the hard top in winter and remove it with one of those electric winches every Spring that I mounted on my garage wall. I use 1 x 4 boards attached with wing-nutted bolts to keep the top from spreading apart while it hangs from my garage ceiling. I also use heavy chains attached to the extensions on the boards to support it as I don't trust the hanging system that came with the winch lift for storage purposes.
img_1859.jpg

Last edited by Starburst; 08-15-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Starburst Update

I went by the body shop this morning and thought folks might enjoy seeing some photos of how things are progressing with the cosmetic restoration.

Jamie getting at it this morning with the buffer.

Jamie and Red hard at work. Hope I don't scratch anything when I go to put the seats back in!

Driver's side buffing almost finished.

Still have the front fender and part of the cowl on the passenger's side to buff.

The underside of the hood turned out as nice as the outside. I'll have a lot of detailing to do in the engine compartment.

I really like the Oriental Red color!

I should be able to bring it home the first of next week. Then I'll have a LOT of work to do myself but I'm looking forward to it.
img_2113.jpg

img_2114.jpg

img_2115.jpg

img_2117.jpg

img_2118.jpg

img_2119.jpg

img_2121.jpg

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #25
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

That looks boss Craig.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

I have not followed all of your work but in looking this morning I saw the paint work being done and not noticed that you have left the fenders and hood on during the paint phase. This brings me to my question - What type of price are you paying for that paint job?
ADDZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

I've known the owner of this shop for over 30 years and have had previous work done by his shop all to my satisfaction. It's a small local shop but they turn out some nice work. (Less than a mile from my house.)

As with everything I have to make decisions regarding what I can and can't live with regarding my budget for this sort of work. The decision to leave the hood on along with the fenders was a matter of saving a little money. I removed most everything from the Jeep myself that I wanted to bother with to try and get as good a job as would meet my requirements and save money. Whatever the shop removed I would have had to pay extra for.

The shop has had my Jeep since July 12th. As I don't require this Jeep for primary transportation I told them to work around it and that there was no hurry (other than the fact that they probably wanted it out of their way as it had no top and needed to be kept inside).

This isn't intended to be a Jeep that will win a concours when it's finished. Simply what I want and will be satisfied with myself. Others I'm sure might have done things differently.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDZ71 View Post
I have not followed all of your work but in looking this morning I saw the paint work being done and not noticed that you have left the fenders and hood on during the paint phase. This brings me to my question - What type of price are you paying for that paint job?
Came from Toledo that way too.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #29
Starburst
1982 CJ7 

Got my Jeep back from the body shop late yesterday afternoon and I am very pleased with the paint job. Attached is a photo of owner Larry Bryson and his son Jamie. Jamie did most of the work on the Jeep. The shop did a great job for me and now I have MY work cut out as everything has to go back onto the Jeep.
img_2238.jpg

Unread 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
wm69

Looks good. Tell the two guys to move so we can see their work better!

You were wise to remove everything before painting.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.