JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   1982 CJ-7 Sunburst (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1982-cj-7-sunburst-1529350/)

Starburst 05-28-2013 04:45 PM

1982 CJ-7 Sunburst

1 Attachment(s)
By way of introduction in my first post, I'd like to show a photo of my 1982 CJ-7 and tell folks a little about it.

I worked for a Jeep dealer from 1984 until 1996 and bought my Jeep in 1987 from the dealer I worked for. That dealer had sold it new so I became the second owner when the original owner traded it in for a new Cherokee for his wife. (It was her Jeep.)

Jeep offered special packages through the Washington, DC zone office. In 1981 they offered a Superstar model and in 1982 a Sunburst model. These Jeeps were basically Laredo models with special decals and equipment. My Jeep came with the Laredo seats, carpet, roll bar padding, dash overlay, chrome mirrors, chrome grill, chrome front bumper and a chrome Scrambler rear bumper which subsequently rusted away. (I'm not sure but the Scrambler bumper could have been dealer installed at the buyer's request.) These Jeeps had a shooting star/starburst decal on the hood, rocker panel stripes and rear quarter panel lower stripes like the Laredo models but no over the wheel-well stripes or front fender stripes. Also they had a star decal on the glove box door with "CJ" inside it. They had SUPERSTAR lettering on the hood but the ordering dealer could have that deleted as was what my dealer specified. All dealers in the zone were offered the opportunity to order these limited production models. There's nothing really valuable about them I suppose other than their limited production, although my copy of the Special Sales Request and Order form does show Tent. Sched.-Units as 500. (I assume that refers only to 1982 models.)

The hood decal on my Jeep is in bad shape and I'd love to find someone who could reproduce it for me. :wave:

MoC 05-28-2013 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sweet ride and story! Please post up bunches of pictures of your jeep, it is a GREAT example. Here is a copy of the official sticker lay out from a parts catalog from that time. I have pictures of a Superstar saved but none of a Sunburst.

:wave:

Starburst 05-28-2013 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!

I want to get my Jeep painted and would like to find a company that could reproduce the starburst/sunburst (I prefer starburst because that's what it is - stars!) decal. I could source the other stripe decals with no problem. I'll try and post a shot of the glove box decal soon.

MoC 05-28-2013 05:38 PM

Heres --> the link <-- to a Super Star thread from 2 years ago. There are some pictures of a Super Star their in case you were interested in seeing them.

MoC 05-28-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starburst (Post 15490818)
I'll try and post a shot of the glove box decal soon.

Not going to let you off that easy! :)

Show us the whole thing, interior to engine bay!! :cheers:

brownbagg 05-28-2013 09:01 PM

any local decal business that does vehicle wraps could reproduced the decal

Starburst 05-29-2013 06:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm going to try and post some document scans regarding my Jeep that some may find of interest.

Since I worked for the dealer in sales I had access to a lot of documents. My dealer was very compulsive regarding keeping documents. As a result I have the original Sales Order that was used to specify how the dealer was requesting the US Eastern Region Zone build the Jeep. Note that my dealer requested the nomenclature "CJ SUPERSTAR" be deleted. Also, there is mention of the LAREDO PKG on the order.

Fortunately the original owner had saved the original window sticker so I was able to obtain that. Since I worked at the dealership I also have a copy of the original dealer invoice. ;)

It's interesting to note that the HARDTOP W/DOORS was only a $775.00 retail option back then. I can't tell you how many times I begged a purchaser who was ordering a new Jeep to order that option. I tried in vain several times to explain to them that even then they could sell the top and doors for more than Jeep was asking and purchase a soft top from Whitco (at that time) for peanuts. Invariably they would come back to the dealership and regret that they had not ordered the hardtop option. So it goes ...

I also have the original Jeep Build Order (used in Toledo on the line to actually build the Jeep) and the original Jeep Production/Shipper Order. You can note from this document that my Jeep was SERIALIZED on 02/03/82.

This may or may not be of interest but I'm sure glad my dealer was so persnickety when it came to documentation.

Let me know what you all think and I'd be curious to know if anyone else has this sort of documentation.

LeePrather 05-29-2013 07:55 PM

It's at least a really cool story...most of us would like to know more about where our jeeps have been and what has been done to them. You, on the other hand, know every detail down to what part joe put on in the assembly line!

Starburst 07-13-2013 07:58 AM

Ready for paint!

5 Attachment(s)
I took my ride to the body shop yesterday for a re-spray. They're going to repair some minor rust issues and paint including the inside of the tub and steel doors. They're also going to re-spray the underside of the hood and battery tray to deal with some surface rust. In preparation I removed everything I could myself to get it ready and save a little money. It took a while to remove that stuff. Those 31 year-old fasteners don't want to let go. Last time they were off was at the plant in Toledo!

I took the time to do a rubbing on tracing paper of the starburst decal on the hood. I checked with several wrap companies in my area but was disappointed to learn that they wanted around $500 to $600 to try and reproduce the hood decal and there were no guarantees it would come out right. A little more than I want to spend on a decal. At least I have the rubbing and some photos. The factory applied decal was off from side-to-side by 1/4 inch.

Where does everyone source the Jeep letters? I'd also like to source the black applique for the steel doors if available (or a suitable substitute).

MoC wanted more photos so I've attached a few.

texas1al 07-13-2013 10:01 AM

Really cool Jeep and great history. I think Mopar still offers the Jeep rocker decals and Quadratec and 4Wheel Drive Hardware carried them last time I looked. Austin Jeeps and Collins Brothers have the black door applique.

boojeep 07-13-2013 05:16 PM

A possible idea here. Find a good air brush artist, run it by them.

Starburst 07-13-2013 05:38 PM

I am an artist myself. Fine art - not commercial, my work is at SleepyHollowStudio dot com.

I have a 24 inch Epson inkjet printer that I use to reproduce my watercolors but the inkset my printer uses is not designed for exposure to the elements. You really need a solvent-based printer to do vehicle wraps.

I live in western N.C. and there are not a lot of places near me to solicit.:(

I am fairly proficient with Adobe Photoshop as that's the software I use for my watercolor reproductions. I might try to use a vector-based program to re-create the image myself and save it to a file that a printer could just load into a computer and print out for me. I would need to find a printer willing to let me try, a program that would be compatible with the printer's system, and a printer willing to charge for just the printing alone. The image is just a simple graphic with straight lines and stars. Not too complex. I have a nice rubbing on tracing paper so the dimensions are not a problem.

Right now I have so many irons in the fire I'll probably have to wait and tackle this thing later. Boy, I thought when I retired things would slow down a little. Ha!:p

Starburst 08-09-2013 10:05 AM

Update on the Starburst Jeep

5 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd provide a few photos to show how things are going with the cosmetic restoration of my "Starburst" Jeep.

The first photo shows the shop owner's son Jamie working on repairing the rust on the step bumper. As I said earlier the Jeep originally had a chrome Scrambler bumper but it deteriorated to the point that I had to finally replace it. A fellow came by our Jeep dealership one day and said he had a step bumper he'd sell me for $50 so I took him up on it. (Check out that '57 GMC truck in the bay next to my Jeep!)

The next shot shows the disappearance of the Starburst decal.

I saw on the Forum where some folks had had success with restoring the chrome wagon wheels by using aerosol paint striper so I decided to give it a try. I masked off the spare tire (photo 3) and used a plastic bondo spreader along with an old brush to remove the lacquer.

In photo 4 you can see that it worked great on the spare. I can't wait to get on to the other wheels!

The seat bottom of the driver's seat was in bad shape so I took it to a local upholsterer and had it replaced. He matched the black vinyl perfectly along with the lower carpeted side of the seat. The off-white stripes were a little harder to match. The originals have an embossed thread pattern in them. He used light gray, coarse thread in the repair and I feel it came very close to matching the original.

The body shop has been closed this week for vacations. They'll be back open next week so I'm hoping to see some results soon!

Meanwhile I've been busy sanding, priming, and painting seat bases, mirror brackets, spare tire carrier, jack/mounting plate and other small parts that I had removed from the Jeep.

Jamie said; "New rule - all future customers have to remove everything they can from their vehicles before bringing them to the shop!" (I think I've spoiled him. :p)

PROJECT 23 08-09-2013 10:11 AM

This is going to turn out awesome! Keep up the great work...

wm69 08-09-2013 01:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Phoenix Graphics seems to be who everyone uses for decals. You might check with them and see about reproducing that Sunburst.

Looks great!

What's in the garage next to the Jeep in the 2nd and 3rd pic? Old Z?

Paperwork dad dug out on his Scrambler......

The time now is 10:05 AM.