1982 (2.5 Iron Duke) cj5 open or closed loop carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1982 (2.5 Iron Duke) cj5 open or closed loop carb

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
jclaude53
1982 CJ5 

1982 (2.5 Iron Duke) cj5 open or closed loop carb

I just bought a non returnable carb for my 82 CJ5 it is an electronic feed back carb or closed loop carb....
(it seems some 80 - 83 cj5's were elect. FB and some weren't)
Now it look like I need an non electronic or open loop carb I have looked into this as far as I can and it seems "The carburetor operates in open loop until the oxygen sensor reaches a certain temperature (approximately 600F). The carburetor also goes into open loop when a richer-than-normal air/fuel mixture is required, such as during warm-up and heavy throttle application"
so is it possible to convert the carb to a open loop or or is there any need to if the carb is not hooked to any electronic feedback sensors should it stay in open loop mode
Or am I just totally off base here

jclaude53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
PlaneJob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have dealt with several oxygen sensor equipped systems in the past and all of them, none were Jeeps, operated in a similar manner: The system ran at an "open loop" setting unless it was receiving a signal from the O2 sensor.

For Example: Volswagens are set up to run VERY rich if there is no O2 signal, but they will run. The excuse for this richness is that it will not burn up an engine, like a lean setting will.

A honda that I had would work quite well with no O2 sensor - the engineers set the default open loop pretty close to what was seen in normal operating conditions at sea level.

I would hypothesize that if you set the carburetor to the proper mixture without the O2 sensor hooked up then you would have no issues. The O2 sensor usually serves to lean the mixture for improved emissions and fuel economy. If you get it set right you will just be operating like a normal carb without the leaning benefits of the feedback carb.

Or perhaps I'm talking out of my *** when it comes to Jeeps...
PlaneJob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
jclaude53
1982 CJ5 

Thanks for your reply that is what I was thinking but needed some confirmation that I'm not totally off base with this theory I could use all the feedback I can get about this again thanks
jclaude53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.