1981 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1981 CJ5 Frame-up

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #76
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I finally told my boss to go to hell so I could get some work done on the Jeep... ok thats a lie. But I did get a good bit done today. I did run into a little problem however. I was trying to put the timing cover on and it wouldn't sit flush on the block. At first I thought that the cover had warped and was about to put the bolts on to see if I could get it to sit flat. Thankfully before I did something incredibly stupid I realized that it was rocking on the bolt that holds the timing sprocket to the cam. Turns out the new sprocket isn't made quite right, so the bolt sits higher out I ran it down to the engine shop and they said they would give the company a call and tell them the problem and have a new one shipped out.

Spent some time taping off the mating surfaces on the engine so I could get some paint laid down.

I had plenty of time and the weather was clear, so I drug it outside and sprayed it. I used VHT engine enamel, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

I'm happy with how it turned out. I like the color and think it will be pretty sharp with the parts that I painted black. I took the oil pan off after painting the block and painted it separately to ensure good coverage, you can see it sitting on the bench in the last photo.

In between coats of paint I finished up work the transmission and transfer case. The transmission is almost perfectly clean, and the transfer case is pretty good. I've decided I need to call it good enough and keep moving, so when I get the chance I will drag them outside and scrub them with a degreaser before paint.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #77
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I'm gonna have to ask a favor of you guys. I was looking at my fuel pump tonight and it looks like there is a hole that should be plugged, but I cant tell for sure. The hole is in the center of the housing, so if somebody could take a look at theirs and see what the deal is for me.

Not being able to bolt on the timing cover is holding me back on the final assembly. In the mean time I cleaned up a lot of the other parts. The exhaust manifold should be ready for paint. I'm also going to buy a new distributor. The wires on the old one are fried so I took it apart to try and fix them, but realized that its quite difficult to turn, and the shaft has some pretty bad grooves on it.

Jered
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #78
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

A quick google image search shows the same hole on others, I'm assuming its a vent hole or something of the such?

Jered
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #79
foxmb87
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
A quick google image search shows the same hole on others, I'm assuming its a vent hole or something of the such?
Im pretty sure you correct on it being a vent hole since all thats inside the pump is a diaphram.
foxmb87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #80
jamesdavis
1972 CJ5 

well I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the progress; keeps up my motivation for my rebuild on my '72 CJ5. I've needed some extra motivation what with the extra rust and problems that seem to keep cropping up! Plus the cold is always a bit of a damper when you don't have a nice garage... I must say, you do have a nice set-up there!
jamesdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #81
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Looking GREAT! I wish I had the same attention to detail.
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #82
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Thanks guys. It's comments like those that remind me that I'm not just being over critical on certain parts.

Your right James, I cant complain with the set up I've got.

So unless there is something odd going on with my parts, it seems the new timing chain sprockets arent being produced correctly. Danny from the engine shop had a new one sent in, and it was identical to the one I already had. He called the warehouse and had them check their stock, and everything they had was the same. So he offered to take the one I had and cut it on the lathe. Took it down to him at 11:30 this morning, and had it back before 2 Just can't beat customer service like that. He kept my old one so he could send it to the producer. But here are some before and after photos.

So with that fixed I was able to get everything bolted up on the engine. That went well enough until I was torquing the oil pan bolts and pop....son of a... Managed to strip the threads going into the timing cover. The fix was as easy as it could get, had a tap and a screw to fit near by.

Still need to get a new thermostat, otherwise its pretty much done.

Almost forgot, I used Back To Black on the valve cover, its not as noticeable in this photo, but the results were well worth the cost.

The weather was beautiful today so I scrubbed up the transmission and transfer case, waited for them to dry and painted them. There are a few nooks where I know the paint wont stick, but nobody will ever see them, and I have obsessed over it enough.

I only painted the parts on the transfer case that would be difficult to get to while bolted on the transmission, so tomorrow I will bolt it on and paint the remainder.

Spent the little time I had left painting some random parts I had sandblasted.
This is the first time in a while I've felt like I managed to get a lot accomplished!

Jered
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #83
1983 CJ7 

Excellent choice on the paint color, the black sets if off nice

Unread 04-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #84
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Excellent choice on the paint color, the black sets if off nice
Thanks Dave, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Now if only choosing color for the body would be that easy. At least I have plenty of time to decide

Jered
Unread 04-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #85
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I vote for Honda Tea Green Metallic
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #86
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
I vote for Honda Tea Green Metallic
Andy took the words right out of my mouth!
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #87
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

At this point I wont be surprised if your CJ7 has a matching CJ5 sibling in the future

Jered
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #88
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

The front end is exactly what I was expecting it would be, SHOT! So I cant say I'm disappointed with the condition its in. It's actually quite comical just how bad some of the parts are.

I completely disassembled one side of the axle. It looks like the bearings have actually been replaced recently, they are in great shape. But I was also able to remove both of the inner nuts with my fingers. The U joint is so rusted up its difficult to get it to move using my knee. Both of the brake rotors are done. There are deep gouges from the rivets on the brake pads digging in. At some point in time the PO decided it would be fine if he just replaced the pads. I'm fairly certain he has no idea what the word maintenance means, he'd probably give you a blank stare.

But on the bright side, the ball joints feel like they are still in pretty good condition. So I'm gonna let them go for the time being. All of the gears in the diff make it look like this jeep has never been put in 4WD. I was also planning on replacing the locking hubs, but they have absolutely no wear on them. So I will use them for the time being, and replace them further down the road unless I find a screaming deal on some new ones. I already have new rotors ordered, they only cost me 35 a piece, so even cheaper then I would have guessed.

I will need to get the proper tool to remove the other side, as the nuts on that side aren't finger tight.

After the fading sunlight drove me inside I spent some time cleaning up the brake calipers. Heres a before and after

Shouldnt take me long to get it all put back together when I have all the parts that I need. Tomorrow I promised my sister I would watch my nieces while she is outta town, so I'll see what I can get done Thursday

Jered
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #89
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Nice job so far and that's a great job of documenting a build.
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #90
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hi Jered I looked through your build. You've got things going along real well. Isn't amazing what just keeps poping up that needs fixing as you go along, guess that's to be expected on these older vechicles we have. Keep up the great work!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.