1981 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1981 CJ5 Frame-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #46
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Well I stopped by D&K Engines today to see how things were going. Walked in just in time to watch them machine the head, man that machinery is cool. I asked Danny how things were going and his response "that engine has been through HELL!" Turns out one of the PO's had blown cylinder #5 and had a pretty poor rebuild done on it. I have never been so happy that I went ahead and had it rebuilt. I know these guys, and even though the history of it is pretty poor, I know that the work that they did will make it a better engine then when it left the factory. I would have taken it home with me today, but I didnt have my checkbook on me. So I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow morning before work, and I will try and get some photos of it on here. All I gotta do now is piece it all back together and paint it. Gonna be fun.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #47
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I picked my engine up this morning! Man does it look good. I wont get the chance to put it back together for a few days, my brother is going to be back for a few days before he deploys to Afghanistan, so I'm going to hang out with him while I can. But in the mean time here are some pictures to hopefully keep everyone interested.

Jered
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #48
carvex
1976 CJ5 

That sure is purty...Should be a nice feeling knowing you have a clean engine now
carvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #49
Harold_Ray

I am really enjoying your thread; keep it up!

Ray
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #50
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Thanks guys! It's gonna be pretty sweet when I'm finally able to fire it up.

I should be getting some new seals for the transfer case and transmission sometime this week. So I will finish cleaning them up and get them ready for paint. I plan on painting the engine and transmission with VHT Ford Grey. I found a picture posted by only in a jeep cj, painted an engine this color and it looks really sharp to me.

It shouldnt take me too long to get this done, and then I will focus on the frame. I imagine if I really get to it I can have the drive train bolted up to the frame within the next couple of weeks, and then I can start on the body work. For me thats where the real challenge is going to be

Jered
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #51
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I always love shiny engine pictures. That block standing on end makes me think tractor engine.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #52
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I always love shiny engine pictures. That block standing on end makes me think tractor engine.
My cousin works for John Deere. I have talked with him many a times about putting a JD 4 cyl. Turbodiesel in a JEEP. He tractor pulls and said it would make one hell of an offroad rig!

Ben
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #53
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
Thanks guys! It's gonna be pretty sweet when I'm finally able to fire it up.

I should be getting some new seals for the transfer case and transmission sometime this week. So I will finish cleaning them up and get them ready for paint. I plan on painting the engine and transmission with VHT Ford Grey. I found a picture posted by only in a jeep cj, painted an engine this color and it looks really sharp to me.

It shouldnt take me too long to get this done, and then I will focus on the frame. I imagine if I really get to it I can have the drive train bolted up to the frame within the next couple of weeks, and then I can start on the body work. For me thats where the real challenge is going to be

I actually thought the same thing after my rebuild Bojon. So. I too, went with the gray. Good luck with your build.

Unread 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #54
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Bojon that engine looks great!! You've made a ton of progress since I've stopped by last time. Keep it up and more importantly, keep posting pictures
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #55
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I've thought about the same thing Benullman. having a diesel in a Jeep would be pretty sick. I'm sure its been done, but you would certainly have to account for all that extra weight!

Wow Patter. Your engine looks even better then the picture I originally found. It definitely came out darker, which I actually like. Also I'm pretty jealous of those headers you have

Thanks Grewe02. I'm trying to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, and I will take many pictures so long as I remember

Jered
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #56
Patter
1981 CJ5 

[QUOTE=Bojon;11105991]

Wow Patter. Your engine looks even better then the picture I originally found. It definitely came out darker, which I actually like. Also I'm pretty jealous of those headers you have.

I think it's probably the differences in the lighting.

Got the idea from the same pic you were looking at. From only in a jeep cj.

Hey, but thanks. Looking forward to your engine build.
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #57
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

My brother left last night, so I finally spent some more time on the project tonight. I got some new seals for the transfercase and transmission, so I went to work on those. Wouldnt you know it, it took me 6 hours to get the seals put on the transfercase. To do it right you really have to take the whole thing apart. There was nothing simple about this job. But I did manage to get them in, and the TC put back together, at least for the most part. I have a few things left to do to it tomorrow. I plan on taking the intermediate shaft back out and cleaning the bearings out better then I did tonight. I was in such a rush I didnt think about it, but everything around me was filthy, and I know I can do a better job with it. When i get the TC sealed back up I will hit it with the wire brush again and then wait till the weather warms up so that I can scrub it before I paint it.

I didnt get around to taking many photos tonight. I had quite a mess on the floor, and wouldnt you know it I was able to get it all back together without losing any parts. That last photo is after I put it back together.

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the seals on the transmission. I tried removing the adapter off of the tranmission this evening, but couldnt get it off, its stuck fast. I know there has to be a trick to it, any ideas?

Jered
Unread 03-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #58
1983 CJ7 

I agree, the D300 was a pain to rebuild compared to the T177. I also like the dark gray engine color!
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #59
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I spent about an hour working tonight before I had to make time for the GF. I pulled the intermediate shaft back out and cleaned the bearings up like I should have last night. I also replaced the seal on the rear of the transmission, getting the old one out was a pain with the output shaft in the way.

The best part of tonight was definitely getting to test drive the new torque wrench that my uncle decided he needed!

Didnt get much done, but something is better then nothing. If the weather holds up I'm hoping the I will have the driveline bolted together and painted. I just found out tonight that the ring compressor I was going to use was stolen, hopefully I can find a new one close by.

Jered
Unread 03-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #60
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
The best part of tonight was definitely getting to test drive the new torque wrench that my uncle decided he needed!
Yeesh. Lucky you! I hope you're keeping your uncle supplied with lots of beer
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.