1981 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1981 CJ5 Frame-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #31
carvex
1976 CJ5 

Looks like a fun project! I'm rebuilding my CJ5 currently too, but it seems have quite a bit more rust...(no floors left) I spent a lot of time wacking the front pump seal out too. I used a screwdriver and a nice sized hammer and tapped the edge out slowly. They really made it seal well and corrode in place, which is much better than the alternative of leaking all the time You should get a new timing chain, it can't hurt.

carvex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #32
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I agree with both of you, I'll just go ahead and buy a new chain. I looked a little closer at it today, when you put tension on it you can see where the chain rides up the sides of the teeth. Might as well just get it over with. Skerr I hadnt thought about the oil pump until now . It had good pressure when I had it running. I'll have to run down to Carquest tomorrow and see what prices on the chain and pump are. The chain is a definite, the pump... well we'll see. I found the timing chain with new sprockets for a little over $30. Hopefully they will have a good price at Carquest

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #33
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvex View Post
Looks like a fun project! I'm rebuilding my CJ5 currently too, but it seems have quite a bit more rust...(no floors left) I spent a lot of time wacking the front pump seal out too. I used a screwdriver and a nice sized hammer and tapped the edge out slowly. They really made it seal well and corrode in place, which is much better than the alternative of leaking all the time You should get a new timing chain, it can't hurt.
Thanks for the tip. I guess I will just have to be a little more patient when I try and remove it tomorrow.

To tell you the truth who knows how much rust is on mine. I'm kind of dreading the bodywork. When I bought it I didnt realize how lucky I was with the condition, in my mind any rust is too much. At least they sell panels for them at dirt cheap prices

Jered
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #34
carvex
1976 CJ5 

It was a surprise for me. I had floor panels that were patched in small pieces here and there. I cut out a rusty section and found there were 4 layers of floor on the drivers side. Each time a previous owner just layed down a new panel over the rusty one. So...they're all gone now and a nice clean one is going down.
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #35
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvex View Post
It was a surprise for me. I had floor panels that were patched in small pieces here and there. I cut out a rusty section and found there were 4 layers of floor on the drivers side. Each time a previous owner just layed down a new panel over the rusty one. So...they're all gone now and a nice clean one is going down.
Some people really shouldnt be allowed to own vehicles

Well I stopped by carquest on my way home tonight. They want $57 for the timing chain, and $70 or more for the oil pump. So it looks like I'll be ordering the chain online, and I think I will hold off on the oil pump, like I said it had great pressure, and I can always use an excuse to get greasy.

I'm gonna get a quick dinner, then I'll probably start cleaning up my head, oil pan and such. I got a Haynes in the mail yesterday. Only 4 bucks. So now when I'm putting it all back together I know how tight to torque them

Jered
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #36
carvex
1976 CJ5 

I like to use Rock Auto to get a general idea on the price of parts. I looked up the timing chain for you on there; there's a few options but they range from $17 to $68. The only problem with that website is that you never really know what you're getting. There's super off-brand stuff on there that just barely passes an inspection all the way up to top of the line. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is. On something like a timing chain, I wouldn't go with the Chinese knockoff, the fit will hit the shan if it breaks.
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #37
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Well I ended up ordering a comp cams timing chain and sprockets, after all was said and done it cost me $53. Not a huge savings but hey its 10 bucks. Plus its made by Comp Cam, you know your getting a good product.

Tonight I flipped the engine over and started taking off the valve cover and head. Now keep in mind since I'm working in my uncles shop I'm trying to be quick and clean. Well my uncle comes out and encourages me to make a bigger mess and take longer. He talked me into having the cylinders honed and new rings and such. So we went ahead and tore right into it

This Jeep has been sort of an emotional roller coaster. I have days like the one with the U-joints that make me question what I got myself into, and then some days are like today. Look at those cylinder walls! they are immaculate. You can just barely tell where theres a wear line. I know the guys that rebuild engines locally, so I'm going to head down there tomorrow. I'm hoping they say it doesnt need to be honed, and can help set me up with new rings and bearings. I'll go ahead and have them clean everything up while they are at it, and rebuild the head.

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with how things turned out tonight. Sure its a few more bucks out of my pocket. But its entirely possible that for a couple hundred dollars I'll have a rebuilt engine. I have to wonder if it was rebuilt not that long ago. The PO owned it for 11 years, you would have to think if he had done it he would have used it as a selling point. The odometer reads 49 thousand miles. Of course I've assumed it has 149, so theres no way it looks this good without some work done.

Jered
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #38
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Looks great! IF your uncle is looking for another nephew let me know.
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #39
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I'll let you know if he is

I took the engine to have it worked on. The guy took one look at the cam and instantly noticed something I didnt, a flat spot. Well now I'm getting a new cam, new lifters, rods etc. It will literally be a new engine when I get it back. Cost you ask? More then I was intending, $750. With everything I'm getting though its a heck of a deal

Jered
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #40
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Hey there.. everything looks great, however, when the crank is out of the engine you should store it standing on it's end. If you put it on it's side like in that one pic it can get damaged.
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #41
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Thanks for the tip, learn something new everyday. Makes sense though. Well I managed to get my transmission bolted up to the stand and cracked it open, then started to clean it up.

I'm actually very surprised at what great shape everything is in. The gears all look great, and the syncros dont look worn at all! The only thing I'm unsure of is the input shaft. Where the input shaft meets the main shaft there is a bit of vertical slop between the two. Maybe thats how its supposed to be, or maybe the bearing needs to be replaced. I dont know enough about it to make the call myself. Has anyone here dealt with the same issue? I'll probably take it down to the local transmission shop and get their opinion, a little free advice never hurt. But I'm honestly starting to think this Jeep only has 48k miles on it. Between the engine and transmission there appears to be very little wear.

Jered
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #42
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

MAW!!! Looking really good and congrats on the good luck!! $750 is nothing for a new engine, but you're gonna want to get that oil pump now!! It's just good insurance...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #43
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Jeep View Post
Hey there.. everything looks great, however, when the crank is out of the engine you should store it standing on it's end. If you put it on it's side like in that one pic it can get damaged.
could you elaborate? Never heard of such a thing! Im new to the engine building scene.....

gonna learn me something!

Ben
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #44
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
MAW!!! Looking really good and congrats on the good luck!! $750 is nothing for a new engine, but you're gonna want to get that oil pump now!! It's just good insurance...
That $750 for the rebuild even includes a new oil pump

benullman; You dont want to store a crank on its end because its more likely to scratch some of the connecting surfaces, which could be catasrophic. Also if you do a quick search online there are a lot of people that will argue storing on its side can cause the crankshaft to deform. Thats how I understand it, although I'd love to hear otherwise if I'm wrong

Jered
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #45
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Interesting. Its one of those those things I have seen both ways and never thought much of it. Makes sense though!

Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.