1981 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1981 CJ5 Frame-up

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
And ya thats the Arkansas in my avatar, in the Royal Gorge to be exact. I've worked as a guide for 5 years now, looking forward to my 6th. This picture follows what happened here;

if you look real close at the right side you can see my helmet sticking up, I was the only one that managed to stay in the boat

You have the Rough Country right? Have you got the chance to test it out yet?
Man that would be so much fun!!!

Yes- I have the RC. I have no complaints. It rides great down the road. However, I have not been offroad with it yet. My rig is not legal yet so I just do little jaunts now and then! I've heard nothing but good about OME.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Well Colorado finally had a decent weekend. Both Saturday and today were great, until about 1, then the clouds rolled in and it got quite chilly, but you really cant complain when the mornings are about 60 degrees in January.

So I got my body off the frame and started getting ready to pull the drive train out. All thats really left to get that done is removing the mounts, so shouldnt take too long unless something goes wrong. While I was beginning to remove the drive shaft I was wondering to myself if I should replace the U joints on the drive shafts. Well I didnt really have to worry about it very long cause that question was answered for me about 30 seconds later.

Thats the front U joint off the rear drive line. To my surprise there was not a single needle bearing left in it. The rest weren't as bad but you can tell they were neglected over the last several years.

The rest look about like that, the needle bearings are still there, but they are bone dry. This revelation makes me feel both better and worse about this project. On the one side this explains a lot of the slop I felt in the drive train, so perhaps the transmission isn't nearly as bad as I thought. On the other hand what other goodies will I find due to poor maintenance.

But at least I am finally making some headway again. So this is how it stands now

Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Another weekend down the drain. So I had more fun this weekend then you can shake a stick at. My girlfriend owns 15 pool tables at a local hotel her father used to be the manager of. Her father got tired of the BS, quit, and then the owner decided to change the locks on the tables and call them his own. That was about 4 months ago. Well we got a call that she could finally come down and remove them. So Friday night we went down to remove them, got 9 of them loaded onto trailers, and the Sheriff shows up. In short we were ordered to move them back in. I was so angry that I dearly wanted to pound the owners face in when he showed up. He's probably about 120, I weigh about 200lbs, you can do the math here .

Alright so now that I vented... at any rate we were down there until 5:30 saturday morning, and then went back in the afternoon to finish unloading 8 of the tables. I was able to borrow my uncles Bobcat to help unload them tho, so it required much less physical labor. So that burned up Saturday, and today I am so sore I'm finding it difficult to get off the couch.

I'm really wondering if I can get this project done in the time frame I have set lol. Next weekend I plan on going snowboarding at Loveland, and gambling in Blackhawk, so thats shot too. On the bright side I've got two new people helping me at work where I was originally doing it all myself. This will be the first time I've really had to manage other people, but hopefully I can use it to find some time during the week to get some work done.

Well gents I hope your weekend turned out better then mine. I think I'm going to have myself a nice cold beer for my efforts this weekend
Unread 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #19
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I gotta say we are having some beautiful weather here in Colorado so I finally got the chance to put some time into the Jeep. Got the drive train unbolted and lifted out.

This was also a perfect excuse to buy an engine stand. It was only 40 bucks down at the local HF, cant beat that. By the time I got done with this it started to drizzle. The first time its done that in 6 months or more, spring is on the way. Tomorrow looks like it will be in the high 40's, so I might try to drag it out into the gravel and get it cleaned up real nice, and then start replacing the gaskets. I've got a full set, and lets be honest, I have no idea where half of them go . Or I may drag the chassis into the garage and start cleaning that up. Either way now that I've got this done the weather shouldnt affect me very much, should have plenty to do in the nice warm garage.

As for the rest of the evening, I'm going to head to Cripple Creek and see if I cant win myself a little money on a craps table! Heck, maybe I will walk home with enough money for the whole project!
Unread 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Another great day, windy, but compared to the deep freezes we've had you wont find me complaining.

So I started degreasing the engine block today. After about an hour of doing that I realized that I was honestly wasting my time. So I slapped a wire wheel on a drill and went at it. The results were much quicker and better. I guess I dont think everything through before I jump into it.

I'll have to run to the hardware store tomorrow after work for a couple more wire brush's but I dont think it will take me all that much longer to get it ready for some paint. Before I actually get to the paint tho I'll start working on all the seals, we'll find out how long that takes.

Jered
Unread 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #21
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Great project! One point of caution when repairing those holes in the body. If you plan on replacing the roll bar in the stock location beef up that area that is rusted through. I have only seen it happen once, but it was horrific, when a guy on the trail replaced that area with regular body sheet metal, and then consequently rolled over on his top and the roll bar broke right through. He managed to live but will never be the same again.
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #22
MTNWHLR
1984 CJ7 

Man I like you engine hoist looking good you are starting with one thats not in to bad of shape.
MTNWHLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpets View Post
Great project! One point of caution when repairing those holes in the body. If you plan on replacing the roll bar in the stock location beef up that area that is rusted through. I have only seen it happen once, but it was horrific, when a guy on the trail replaced that area with regular body sheet metal, and then consequently rolled over on his top and the roll bar broke right through. He managed to live but will never be the same again.
I thought about that when I was tearing everything down, but decided I could figure it out when I get to it. From what I noticed I'm very surprised they mounted it this way, it seems like even if it was beefed up it would be able to rip the body apart. I see in your pics you have a 6 point cage, did you do anything to beef it up; frame tie in's or anthing. Also keep in mind I wont be doing much wheeling, but all the same I'd like it to not fail.

You like the lift huh? I think everyone needs one. If you ever start using one, you really cant go without

Jered
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
I thought about that when I was tearing everything down, but decided I could figure it out when I get to it. From what I noticed I'm very surprised they mounted it this way, it seems like even if it was beefed up it would be able to rip the body apart. I see in your pics you have a 6 point cage, did you do anything to beef it up; frame tie in's or anthing. Also keep in mind I wont be doing much wheeling, but all the same I'd like it to not fail.

You like the lift huh? I think everyone needs one. If you ever start using one, you really cant go without
Praise the LORD for my 6 point cage, I have been on my top twice, and barrel rolled three times down a sand ridge. The lift springs had to be modified to be effective(removed two leaves from every pack and re-arced them with a ball peen hammer). I have tied my cage into the cowl and the frame. After seeing a good wheeler become nothing more than a paper weight, I went for safety first. The rear of the cage rests on the fender wells and is tied to the frame under the 1/4" plate it rests on. The front is tied to the cowl and is braced to the frame under the body mounts. I wheel with my 11 year old daughter who rides in the Jeep like it is a roller coaster. I can not stress enough how critical it is to have an adequate cage. After my three time barrel roll I drove 178 miles home(granted I drove nothing over 45 mph) and the jeep sheet metal was together primarily due to the cage. I had some bruising and was shaking for about two days but none the less worse for wear. With all who I have ever had the pleasure to wheel with it has always been safety first.

Regardless of whether you will be wheeling or not if your Jeep is ever going to carry anyone beside yourself, take my advice and make sure you have a solid cage. Every time I tuck my little girl into bed I thank the LORD that I have my cage, without it she would have died the first time we went over. In the grand scheme of things it has been the cheapest piece of security I have put into my project. I built it with the help of some great people, for under $200. ONLY three bends, the rest is all straight tubing, and one heck of a lot of welding( I am not a certified welder, but us farm boys know how to make things last).
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #25
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

gpets I couldn't agree with you more. My sister mentioned something about driving it with her daughters (2 and 3 years old) and I just about ripped her a new one for even considering it. In fact at present I dont even plan on having a back seat. I definitely want this to be a safe build, I dont want it to be my casket. In your opinion would beefing up the existing roll bar be enough to manage a roll over, or should I start thinking about building my own?

Jered
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #26
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
gpets I couldn't agree with you more. My sister mentioned something about driving it with her daughters (2 and 3 years old) and I just about ripped her a new one for even considering it. In fact at present I dont even plan on having a back seat. I definitely want this to be a safe build, I dont want it to be my casket. In your opinion would beefing up the existing roll bar be enough to manage a roll over, or should I start thinking about building my own?
Jered,
The existing cage can be made perfectly safe it you run two extra gussets along the existing mounting points that cross over the frame. The problem with the stock location on the CJ's is they do not touch any frame cross members. You can either do it inside the body or externally. Especially if you are not planning on wheeling hard, the stock roll bar configuration can work great.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...es/bodykit.jpg
I know the picture here isn't the best but if you look at the stock location of the roll bar. The metal is thicker than anywhere else in the tub. You just need to extend the mounting brackets on the roll bar toward the center of the tub to cover the area where the frame runs underneath it.
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #27
DeViOuS_CJ5
1980 CJ5 

man you got a much cleaner and solid CJ than what i started with....looking good
DeViOuS_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpets View Post
Jered,
The existing cage can be made perfectly safe it you run two extra gussets along the existing mounting points that cross over the frame. The problem with the stock location on the CJ's is they do not touch any frame cross members. You can either do it inside the body or externally. Especially if you are not planning on wheeling hard, the stock roll bar configuration can work great.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...es/bodykit.jpg
I know the picture here isn't the best but if you look at the stock location of the roll bar. The metal is thicker than anywhere else in the tub. You just need to extend the mounting brackets on the roll bar toward the center of the tub to cover the area where the frame runs underneath it.
Ok I follow what you mean, in fact I already have some ideas on how to accomplish that but will wait till I start on the body to worry about it.

So tonight I continued on the engine bock. Finished cleaning up the majority of the block, and then removed the oil pan so I could start replacing the seals.

I started with the rear main seal, which was surprisingly easy. I had to use an ice pick with a rubber mallet to break the seal lose, but after it was lose it was no problem. The old seal was pretty warn down, in fact when I put the new in it pushed out quite a few chunks of the old out with it.

After I got that cleaned up and and put back together I removed the harmonic balancer and the timing chain cover

I tried removing the seal from the timing chain cover but had no luck, that thing is wedged in there insanely tight. I even tried using a torch to expand the metal but to no luck

If you guys have any ideas on how to get it out let me know.

Finished out the night cleaning up the old oil pan seal, so ready to be bolted back up when I get to it

And last my timing chain seems lose to me, maybe its not as bad as I think. A new chain can be bought for under $20, so what do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and install a new one?

Jered
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I took the photo of the timing chain and added a line so it is easier to gauge how much slack is in it

Jered
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I took the photo of the timing chain and added a line so it is easier to gauge how much slack is in it
You're there... what's another $20?? I say do it and don't look back.

The build is looking really good. Cleaned up nicely. Have you considered a new oil pump as well?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.