1981 CJ5 Frame-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1981 CJ5 Frame-up

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

1981 CJ5 Frame-up

Hey everyone. So a few months ago I pulled the trigger and finally bought my first Jeep. Its a 1981 CJ5 with a 258. I have some pretty big plans for this build, and I'm hoping that along the way I can get some input from everyone on here as I'm sure much of what I'm going to do many of you have already been through.

So here's the problems that I have found so far. Pretty much the entire drive train leaks from one point or another. The transmission is extremely sloppy and will grind occasionally when going into first. The transfer case is extremely difficult to shift unless it is rolling slightly. The interior is trash. The sheetmetal below the doors are pretty well rusted, as well as some of the panels near the roll bar.

Now here's what I plan on doing in the next couple of months (these may change). I'm going to buy new seals for the engine. Rebuild kits for both the transmission and transfer case. I will buy some new seats for the front, and use a liner throughout the interior. Wherever I see rust I will patch it up. I'm a very good welder, but this will be my first time actually doing body work.

As for suspension I think I'm going to get a kit from Old Man Emu. Of all the research I have done I haven't heard anything bad about them. This should allow me to slap some 33's on.

I have found a company in Denver that will dip the frame in acid and then galvanize it for about $350 and I think I'm going to go that route.

All I've done so far is start stripping everything off to get it down to the frame. I'm hoping this weekend I can get the body off the frame, and start sanding. The only thing I've done to it mechanically is fix the carb. When I got it, it ran like a pig. I believe it was the idler tubes were clogged. I should have taken pictures but when I rebuilt it I was pulling chunks of dried up fuel out of the bowls.

So this will probably take me a while, I dont get much time to work on it other then the weekends.

At any rate I hope you guys can give me some pointers.

Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wooo hoooo, another 5... Well, I am kind of impartial!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

So I got the time to do some work to my Jeep saturday. At this point I have everything on the interior stripped, as well as the grille assembly. After reading some horror stories about rusty body mount bolts, I was worried about how that would go, but to my surprise they came out very easily.

So as it stands this is how it looks at the moment

I probably could have got the body off the frame very easily. I believe the only thing thats left attached are wires from the gas tank. I'm trying to get my hands on a body work table (basically angle iron with castor wheels) so that I can move it around easier before I take it off. I'm doing this work in my Uncles shop, so its important that I have the ability to move it out.

So the body seems to be in pretty good shape. The biggest rust holes are behind the seats where dirt collected between the roll bar and body

These holes should be pretty easy to fix. The only other spots that I'm aware of so far that has pretty good cancer is below the door sills, but I wont know the extent of that until i get some paint stripped.

While I was removing all of the linkage on the tub I got to the clutch. I knew that the clutch linkage was fairly sloppy but I had assumed that it was just in need of a good adjustment. But when I removed the linkage I found this;
It's pretty much the same story on the clutch pedal, and assembly that attaches to this linkage. I had done some reading about upgrading to a hydraulic system, but decided that for the time being I mechanical linkage would be fine. This would be fairly easy to fix, but I think this has pushed me into going ahead with the hydraulic setup.

Well thats it for now. Hopefully I will get my hands on that table soon, and can put some extra time into it over Christmas
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hydraulic = win. I'll be keeping tabs on this build. Lots of potential! How far are you going to rebuild it? Make the paint sparkly and shiny? Or just enough to say it's driveable?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
raperfam
1977 CJ7 

not in too bad a shape----good luck
raperfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Hydraulic = win. I'll be keeping tabs on this build. Lots of potential! How far are you going to rebuild it? Make the paint sparkly and shiny? Or just enough to say it's driveable?
Well I feel since I'm taking it down to the frame I might as well do anything I can to fix it up. My real goal is to have it ready to drive next summer, so I've got a bit on my plate with the time I have to work on it. I'm lucky enough to know a guy that will be willing to paint it for the price of paint, so long as I do the body work, and thats fine by me. So it will hopefully be nice and shiny. For the time being I'm going to leave the drive train stock. I would love to add lockers and all that fun stuff, but I'm a poor college student so for the time being this will do
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

My personal preference is mechanical, a little more feel and control, complete new rod, hardware, pivot, bushings, something like $50.00
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
My personal preference is mechanical, a little more feel and control, complete new rod, hardware, pivot, bushings, something like $50.00
X2 ^^^

Check out the thread by 243. He has a nifty tub rack that he made and works well. Should be in the first few pages.

Great progress and good plan. Keep it up!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

Nice little project. You got lucky on the mount bolts. On my current CJ8 proejct I had to cut 9 of them off and it was a pain in the ***. Plus every roll bar bolt had to be cut.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

So I was planning on starting to rebuild the steering column today, its very sloppy. Unfortunately I got sick last night so I get to sit around all day. Why couldnt I get sick on a day I had to work?!?! O well.

So you guys got me thinking about going with mechanical linkage again, I found the kit Davidnex was talking about. Its 60 bucks and includes everything, including the bell crank.
Clutch Linkage Kit for 76-86 CJ-5, CJ-7 & CJ-8 with Manual Transmission - Acme Jeep Parts

I also found this linkage that is much more stout, and all the connections have bearings, which would be nice.
Rod Links Clutch Linkage for 76-86 Jeep® CJ - Acme Jeep Parts

I'm sure these could be found cheaper elsewhere, but this is what I found with a quick search. I'm not 100% either way, but I believe I'm still leaning towards the hydraulic. All the manuals I grew up driving were hydraulic systems, so I dont really have an issue with it. One of the trucks I drive at work is a mechanical tho, so I will have to pay attention to the feel next time.

Thanks for the tip Skerr, I checked out 243's thread and found some great info. He did a beautiful job on that restore, I wish I had the time and money to go that deep with it. The frame set up you were talking about is great! I'm gonna have to go down to the scrapyard and see how much it would cost me to build one. It definitely solves the problem of how will I work on the underside.

Mister 4x4; I agree I'm very lucky. During the tear down I managed to break one of my good Torx sockets removing the seat belts, the only way I could get it out was heating it with a torch. I broke a few of the bolts taking the roll bar out. I cant complain with that since these were in easy locations to work on
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Wow it has been a long time since I have got the chance to post an update, well if you can really call it an update. So first off I must have been a very good boy for the last year since I received a suspension system for Christmas. Its the Old Man Emu suspension. I decided on OME for a few reasons, first of all I havent been able to find a single negative comment about it. And the other reason is that the leaf springs are all wider then the stock CJ set up, actually they are the same springs from the Wrangler. So it should provide a very nice ride. Judging by the appearance it seems like a very nice kit, and provides everything needed.

Notice that all of the steel is very heavy, I think it will hold up well.

I've really been revved up to get to work on the chassis, but for the last 4 weeks when I wake up on Saturday it looks something like this:

Colorado....gotta love it. Well here's to hoping for better weather, I'd really like to get moving again.
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

The weather should not hold you up.. Didn't I see a nice gas fired heater hanging in the garage?? Is that the Arkansas River in your Avatar??
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post

NIIIIICE!!!!! Santa brought me a set last year, but it's not as nice as yours!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
The weather should not hold you up.. Didn't I see a nice gas fired heater hanging in the garage?? Is that the Arkansas River in your Avatar??
I might have to change my plans so I can actually get something done, but I was hoping to get the chassis down to the car wash, and then spend some good time with a wire wheel to get that portion down. Since its not actually my shop I dont really want to be flinging grease and grime all over a wood shop lol. I may have to jump on the body with this weather.

And ya thats the Arkansas in my avatar, in the Royal Gorge to be exact. I've worked as a guide for 5 years now, looking forward to my 6th. This picture follows what happened here;

if you look real close at the right side you can see my helmet sticking up, I was the only one that managed to stay in the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
NIIIIICE!!!!! Santa brought me a set last year, but it's not as nice as yours!
You have the Rough Country right? Have you got the chance to test it out yet?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.