Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1981 Cj-7

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dos0711 
#1 · (Edited)
I just aquired a 1981 CJ-7 from my dad. Here's the story...This kid owned it in the 80s and all was good. Then toward then end of the 80s, he was in a fatal accident(not in the Jeep). His parents didn't cope very well and kept this Jeep as a reminder of him I guess. Fast forward to the later 90s. The man decides it's taken up room and ask my Dad if he can park it on his property...he has over 3 acres...so my my Dad agrees. Fast forward to 2006...this Jeep has just been sitting ever since. The man dies and my Dad talks the woman into selling it for $400. My Dad calls me up and sez come get it! Well, the right rear wheel is locked up and the gas tank smells like a bad brand of paint thinner. Is this thing worth the trouble?? It has the 258 6 cyl and a whole lot of body rot from sitting around. I figure the right rear might have rusted brake linings holding it from moving. Any and all opinions are welcome!:thumbsup:

See less See more
#6 ·
I'd say it's definately worth the 400 bones your pop paid for it. I'd go thru all the components and change all fluids, filters, belts and hoses. Might take a few hard hammer blows to get that frozen brake drum loose. Probably should do a full brake job too and replace the master cylinder wheel cylinders and front calipers. Been sitting for a long time and probably absorbed quite a bit of moisture into the brake system. Check the brake lines/hoses to see what sort of shape they're in too. Maybe blow them out with air when doing the brake work. Not sure about the soft top.. looks like factory Jeep to me. Drain the gas tank. Might need to replace it if there's a lot of rust in it otherwise it'll just keep plugging up filters.

#7 ·
Well, I took a chance that there wasn't much of that paint thinner fuel in the gas tank and put 5 gallons of premium 92 octane in it. After some spinning and sputter...IT CRANKED UP!!! Water pump is toast! I've never seen one wobble that bad. But the good news is the motor seems to be okay!

#8 ·
Wheew thats alotta white, must be like driving an igloo or something.

Yes its well worth ficxing, thats actually quite decent shape for a Cj so Keep her and treat her well and she'll treat you better

-Blake

#12 ·
dos0711 said:
Does anyone have any tips for removing a rusted brake drum besides a BFH?
read your thread, dont normally come to the CJ forum but its late...and i've delt with rusted drums on my TJ.

what we did was wack it with a BFH but it didnt let go, we wacked so much that the ther drum fell off. we then sprayed it with WD40 and kept wacking all over, eventually it came loose. All i can reccomend is some penetrant or an air chissel. that'll loosen it real quick.good luck man, it looks like its in great shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.