1980 Jeep CJ7 Fuel Problems HELP -> Jeep Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 Jeep CJ7 Fuel Problems HELP -> Jeep Won't Start

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
SomerJeep

1980 Jeep CJ7 Fuel Problems HELP -> Jeep Won't Start

I am not sure what the heck is wrong with this CJ7 that I recently purchased, but it has the stock 304V8 and one day all the sudden it stopped running. I thought for sure the Jeep had gas and so I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump, fuel rubber lines and filter.

Well, I hooked everything back up (except I might have gotten the two lines mixed up - which to put directly on the fuel filter and which one goes to the fuel pump - from the lines that are near the firewall).

Gas is not flowing steadily thru either line. The line that is direct from the rear tank (rubber replaced from the firewall to the fuel filter) has absolutely no gas flow thru it. The other gas line that goes from the fuel lines (rubber from the firewall to the fuel pump) is getting small bursts of fuel, but nothing is flowing constant.

What could my next issue be? This was all the sudden - is it possible if I switched the fuel lines from the fire wall to the pump and the other to the filter this would change something?

I am so confused!

Thanks for all of your expertise and assistance!

SomerJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Bucket
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen this happen in the past with the fuel pick up becoming clogged. See if you can blow into the fuel tank through the line. You should be able to blow easily and hear the bubbles in the tank while you blow. This is where I would start.
Good Luck
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
SomerJeep

I will attempt this, but would it hurt to use an air compressor or is that too much pressure?
Unread 03-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

turn the PSI down, and remove the gas cap.
Unread 03-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
SomerJeep

I used my air compressor to clear the lines or make sure they were clear - they are now.

I hooked up the line and blew the air out and that forced gas out each line. One line was flowing fast and the other was spiratic, I think I need to just switch the lines and see if that was the problem - hopefully this is that easy!

Thanks
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
RARECJ8

with all those hoses running everywhere, its easy to reverse the main fuel supply line with the return line... if in doubt, reverse 'em. Also, u may need to 'prime' the fuel pump, depending on its location, mech. v. electric. Maybe pressurize the tank from the filler nozzle.

just an idea...

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
SomerJeep

The Strangest thing - i have a good steady flow of gas coming out of my fuel line from the pump, but for whatever reason it's not getting to the carb. I am going out to get a new filter, but the one I was using yesterday was new, maybe it was a bug.

I might have the lines from the filter to the carb mixed up - 2 nipples on one side and 1 nipple on the other (this is for the metal line that goes directly into the fuel pump) on the side that has 2 nipples there is a narrow nipple and a enlarged nipple, which one goes to the carb?

Also, what could possibly be wrong now, it just is not getting fuel.

The reason I know it isn't getting gas is because it won't start, however if I drop gas down the carb from a gas can it starts right up but won't continue running because there is no flow from the tank.

HELP PRETTY PLEASE
Unread 03-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Geer_hed

I'm a bit confused. You've established a starvation issue, but I don't know how you know the fuel is getting pressurized by and leaving the pump? Presumably, you've disconnected the line to see? I would disconnect the inlet hose to the carb and crank the engine. If fuel doesn't flow, then disconnect the inlet hose to the filter (from the pump) and crank it. If fuel flows then, your filter is bad or hooked up incorrectly (you could be routing fuel out from the pump to the Vapor/Return line to the tank). Having your carb inlet hooked up to the Vapor/Return line on the filter is consistent with what you're seeing so you may want to look that over one more time.

The side of the filter that has two ports, one of them larger and more centered than the other, the smaller of the two is the Vapor/Return line back to the Fuel Sending Unit, the larger and more centered being the Fuel Out port from the filter.

The reason I point out removing the inlet hose from the carb before ruling out the carb itself is just because you can dump fuel down the throat of the carb and get it to start doesn't necessarily mean fuel isn't getting to the carb. The Carb could have internal failures preventing air/fuel mix from entering the manifold past the venturies. You just never know, and that way you have a definite starting point to backtrack over the fuel line to find the blockage/lack of pressure. My .02
Unread 03-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
SomerJeep

Gas

Well I finally decided to disconnect the inlet from the pump and collect the gas in a plastic bottle and holy shizzy the gas was like Jim Beam color. I know that isn't good, but the heck could have caused that other then possibly the gas sitting for an extended period of time. I pumped and pumped the gas and the color is still not clear - best thing to do next I think is to drop the gas tank and drain the bad gas and start over.

Thats probably what happened the gas was so discolorated that it clogged the fuel filter which in turn wasn't giving me any flow.

The current color is a light pee color, but when I dump the gas bottle next to the gas can the color is definitely darker then the gas can.

Wow, this was a wild discovery.
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #10
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomerJeep
Well I finally decided to disconnect the inlet from the pump and collect the gas in a plastic bottle and holy shizzy the gas was like Jim Beam color.
Even gas out of the pump isn't crystal clear. It appears that way in a stream to whatever you're collecting it in, but after it pools, it gains a tan/yellowish affect. I mean, it shouldn't be like dark brown or thick or anything like that, but it just sounded like you were surprised that it had any color at all.

Quote:
best thing to do next I think is to drop the gas tank and drain the bad gas and start over. Thats probably what happened the gas was so discolorated that it clogged the fuel filter which in turn wasn't giving me any flow.
So the gas in the tank is old? Any idea how old? That's a good thing to know. Dropping the tank may reveal some sludge (in fact likely if it has never been done), but to gum up a new filter in a single day is another story altogether. If you disconnected the CArb inlet hose and fuel was flowing through it when the engine was cranked, even old gas will get you a sputter or two.... It just sounds like something else is going on. If you want, drain some of your "pee" gas (sorry... couldn't help myself..) and dump it down the carb throat to see if you get a solid crank out of it. I'm thinking it probably will.

Quote:
The current color is a light pee color, but when I dump the gas bottle next to the gas can the color is definitely darker then the gas can.
a "light pee color" sounds about right as far as I'm concerned. I recently had to replace my tank and the gas in it was less than 2 weeks old. When I collected it in the steel barrel, it had what you might call a "light pee color". There was no sediment and obviously age was not a factor.
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
SomerJeep

Gas Color

I am going to reattach the new filter and see if that helps me. I think what might have happened is I had such rediculous color (it was dark like - Captain Morgans Dark brown color). It now is a cleared out more and is more the color of the "pee green/yellow"

I am not sure the age of the gas, I picked up the Jeep from the original owner at a car auction, this thing is set up and I would be really suprised if it sat for too long - I drove it for a while and it did great, then all the sudden it bonged out on me. I will most likely be keeping this Jeep for myself and will replace the tank with a 23 gal arrow, but in the mean time I wouldn't mind using the jeep to get around and so forth.

It's possibly the carb was getting gas, but it was getting shizzy gas and now that I pumped all the jim bean out, I think it should be fine, I will test it here shortly, I pray it works! Then i get to drop the radiator back in and I am good to go - i hope!
Unread 03-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
SomerJeep

Got it started

I got the Jeep started finally, Now I need to hook up the radiator hoses, fill it up with antifreeze/water and drive it. I will see how the gas does.

Does anyone know of any type of Fuel additive that works well to clean out the gas in the gas tank?
Unread 03-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #13
John N
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Does anyone know of any type of Fuel additive that works well to clean out the gas in the gas tank?
Your best bet is to drop the tank and clean it out. Additives won't get the rust and scale out of the tank. The only real caution about this, when you disturb an original tank, it may start pinhole leaks and knock chunks of rust/scale loose in the tank....read as, "you may end up needing a new tank."
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #14
gunkysputter23

I flushed my fuel tank several years ago with methanol. Use methanol ONLY if you're running a carb setup, don't allow the fuel to set, burn it out as quickly as you can and make sure you have several extra fuel filters ready to go because they'll get plugged up quickly.

The methanol method works but probably the best way to clean out the tank is to drop it. Pour any liquid out of it. Pour a bunch of gravel into it and with the help of a friend, violently shake the tank right side up, upside down, sideways on all sides and most of the sediment & rust will be knocked loose. Pour all the solids out of the tank and use diesel or gasonline to flush the remaining powderized crap out of it. It wouldn't hurt to then POR-15 paint the sucker inside and out. You'll then have a fuel tank which is clean, looks nice and with the POR paint will probably last longer than a brand new steel tank from the factory.
gunkysputter23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #15
ScratchMan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unless I was bored and needed something to do or short on cash, I would just consider buying another tank. They are about $100 and will take the guessing game out of fuel clogs. You will not need a couple of fuel filters handy for a long time.
ScratchMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.