1980 CJ7- Is it worthy trying to save?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ7- Is it worthy trying to save??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

1980 CJ7- Is it worthy trying to save??

Found a 1980 CJ7 for sale- hardtop, full doors, great interior, about 60k original miles on it...... been used for plowing a driveway. well, i took a look at it, and i don't think that frame would be able to push that plow anymore. but like i said, the interior is great, there is the regular rust on the body, newer tires, clutch.... for a first time repair/restoration, is it worth $2000? my plan is to purchase a good running CJ that needs some work, but can be driven without major worries. i don't mind the body work or paint, but should i just stay away from something that needs a frame?

TJTony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

You can buy a frame from Q-tech. And being in the north, if the rust isn't bad, I'd go for it.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Bard
1985 CJ7 

It really depends on how bad it is. You need to have someone who knows what to look for. If you have pics, we can give you the internet advice. I should have replaced my frame the last time, but don't want to pull everything just yet to do it. I just weld in what I needed to get by. It also depends on your skills, availability to tools and budget. $2k to me is high if you know you have frame work or possible replacement.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

the last time i saw rust this bad, it was on an old VW bug....
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Bard
1985 CJ7 

It will probably cost you close to $3k between the frame and moving everything over to the new one. Then you have the chance that stuff will break or just need replacing. Tell him you want to bring it to a mechanic for an inspection. If not just offer him $500 to $1000 for it. Good luck
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

he'd make more parting it out- the seats, doorss, tires, rims are all excellent-
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
evil-ant

Well I know how hard it is to find a clean cj in CT, but if it has no frame you have nothing to work with. $500 to $1000 is tops, he's not going to get 1000 for tires, doors and seats, he'd be lucky to net $500 for everything parted out, and then he's gotta strip it to sell it. Make him the offer for $500 and if he says no, give him your number and tell him to call you when he's ready to make a fair deal. Hell, I bought a good frame and drivetrain for $1000, and I still feel like I got ripped off, but at least I waited and convinced him that $1500 was too much for a rotted '79 cj-7. Know when to walk away and save hundreds, if not thousands.
evil-ant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
marmaduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
It will probably cost you close to $3k between the frame and moving everything over to the new one. Then you have the chance that stuff will break or just need replacing. Tell him you want to bring it to a mechanic for an inspection. If not just offer him $500 to $1000 for it. Good luck
I agree, by the time you've thrown a new frame at it you might have well have spent 4-5k on a better one.

2k for a cj with a shot frame is wwwaaayyy to much, as for parting it out he'll get no where near the amount he originally paid for the parts and then he's got to get rid of all the crappy bits left. Make him a realistic offer and if not walk away and buy a different one.
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

Found one, but...

It's red- i hate red jeeps. it's an 84 cj7 with less than 40k on it, needs body work, and frame looks good from the pics. and it's 1500. now, i want a steel blue cj7- the thing would need to be painted anyways, so maybe i should just change the color if i were to get it?
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Bard
1985 CJ7 

There is that famous saying "puddy and paint, make it what it ain't"

Skies the limit on paint colors
Unread 07-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Amen to that, mine will probably end up being 04 Mustang Orange.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.