1980 CJ7 offroad build advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ7 offroad build advice

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 03-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
jeep6959
1980 CJ7 

1980 CJ7 offroad build advice

The Jeep as it sits...

258 engine
Stock axles
Stock Tranny and Transfer case
The grill, hood, firewall, and tailgate only remain (rust had its way everything else)

The future plans are strictly offroad only. It will see rocks, hills, and mud. What axles should I use to run 38s and bigger (I was thinking a FF 14 bolt for the rear)? Should I keep the leaf springs or switch to coils or something else and how much of pain is that to switch over? What would be the best trannsmission and transfer case combo? The front axle is a passenger side drop but would it be beneficial at all to switch to a driver side drop as far as the tranny and transfer case go? Should I stretch the wheelbase in the rear to help with driveshaft angle?

I would like to keep the 258 cause I have propane kit for it and I have heard that 258 is a good offroad performer. If I am wrong please let me know. Keep in mind that this a budget build not some high dollar rig, I will rebuild the axles and transfer case myself and will be doing any fabrication needed.

jeep6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
choppachris
2013 JK Wrangler 

That 14 bolt will be plenty for the rear, but most guys "shave" the chunk or machine a portion of the bottom of the chunk for ground clearance...they are huge apparently. For the front I'm thinking a dana 60...and to clear 38's maybe SOA, inch of body lift and a comp cut on the rear of the tub and tubed feders in the front...unless you've got the budget to link it Don't forget gears, lockers, highsteer, driveshafts, and brakes. I want to do the same to mine
choppachris is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.