1980 CJ7 battery questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ7 battery questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
AllenS
1980 CJ7 

1980 CJ7 battery questions

What side of the battery are the positive and negative posts when looking at the battery holder? Also, where does the negative cable ground to?

AllenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

The negative is generally on the right side depending on the battery. You can tell because the negative terminal is smaller in diameter than the positive terminal. The negative cable connects to the engine block on the passenger side. There is a bolt hole specifically for it
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Stock battery was a "Group 24". Assuming that if you are looking at the battery from the FRONT, the posts would be at the rear corners, Positive would be on the right and Negative on the Left.

There is also a Group 24F (for Ford) where the terminals are reversed. Looking at the battery the same way as above, Positive is on the left.

If you wound up with the wrong "24", flipping the battery around would put the terminals where they belong, but the cables might not reach. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...

There are other battery groups that will fit, but the one called out for was Group 24, the good old standard work horse of the day for trucks. The other battery might have the same width & depth, but might not be as tall or could be taller.

I put a dual battery tray in my Jeep. There's a 24 & a 24F hooked up in [s]series[/s] parallel. That way the cables are shorter to connect them. In the picture below as you view it, the 24 is on the left and the 24F is on the right.

Because the terminals are reversed the 24F, they line up with the same poles right next to each other making for shorter cables.
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
AllenS
1980 CJ7 

I should have added that the previous owner had two black cables. What I was looking for was something maybe original. Also, I have the 4 cylinder Iron Duke motor. And, on the ground cable is there a small black wire coming off of the ground, and if so, where does it bolt on?
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Stock battery was a "Group 24". Assuming that if you are looking at the battery from the FRONT, the posts would be at the rear corners, Positive would be on the right and Negative on the Left.

There is also a Group 24F (for Ford) where the terminals are reversed. Looking at the battery the same way as above, Positive is on the left.

If you wound up with the wrong "24", flipping the battery around would put the terminals where they belong, but the cables might not reach. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...

There are other battery groups that will fit, but the one called out for was Group 24, the good old standard work horse of the day for trucks. The other battery might have the same width & depth, but might not be as tall or could be taller.

I put a dual battery tray in my Jeep. There's a 24 & a 24F hooked up in series. That way the cables are shorter to connect them. In the picture below as you view it, the 24 is on the left and the 24F is on the right.

Because the terminals are reversed the 24F, they line up with the same poles right next to each other making for shorter cables.
How has that battery setup served you and is that an aftermarket tray?
Thanks
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
I put a dual battery tray in my Jeep. There's a 24 & a 24F hooked up in series.
Hopefully they are in parallel, not in series.
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Hopefully they are in parallel, not in series.
WHOOPS! You're right! It would explain the smoke though...
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
How has that battery setup served you and is that an aftermarket tray?
Thanks
Home built based on the factory. I just "grew" the dimensions, flipped it 90, used angle iron and the floor is expanded steel plate. Factory supports. Works great, been in place for years. I doubled up on the batteries for the winch. sometimes you can't winch and run the motor at the same time.
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
AllenS
1980 CJ7 

This is a frame up restoration. Previous owners probably did what they had to do keeping the Jeep going. It ran when I bought the Jeep, but it needed work. Being retired, this was a good project. I'd like to restore as close to originality as possible, but am willing to do what is necessary to get it going. Thanks for your imput.
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

For reference, this appears to be a fairly unmolested Iron Duke in a CJ.

Hope this helps,

Matt
ironduke.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Home built based on the factory. I just "grew" the dimensions, flipped it 90, used angle iron and the floor is expanded steel plate. Factory supports. Works great, been in place for years. I doubled up on the batteries for the winch. sometimes you can't winch and run the motor at the same time.
Thanks. I like the dual battery setup.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.